Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Irregular actions Cumulative errors revisited

#1 User is offline   AndreSteff 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-18, 10:34

South is declarer in a hearts contract. West leads a diamond, low in dummy, East ruffs, but is revoking. South does not notice the revoke and ruffs himself (no revoke) with a lower trump. He therefor has not won the trick, but thinking he has he leads out of turn to the following trick. Before West has followed suit East wakes up and shows a diamond.
How should the TD handle this?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-18, 12:26

Carefully. B-)

Revoke first.

East revoked (Law 61A). The revoke has not been established (Law 63A), so East must correct it (Law 62A). The trump East played on the revoke trick becomes a major penalty card (Law 49, Law 50B) and must remain face up on the table (Law 50A). South may withdraw the trump he played on the trick and substitute another card. Or he may choose to leave the trump he played originally. IAC, if he trumps the trick, he wins it*. Now his lead to trick two is no longer out of turn. Play proceeds normally from South's lead to trick two. If West gains the lead while East still has a MPC, South has options, so West cannot lead until South has chosen the option he wants (director should stay at the table while the MPC is still there to make sure this is done right) (Law 50D2). East must play his MPC at the first legal opportunity (Law 50D1). Knowledge of Law 50D1 is authorized to everyone (Law 50E1). Other information derived from the sight of the PC is unauthorized to West (Law 50E2) (Law 50E changes significantly under the new laws).

*The only reference I could find to ownership of the trick not changing is in Law 67, which does not apply to this situation. If someone can find a pertinent reference, please let me know. :)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-18, 12:36

As far as I known you have to work backwards from this point, which means that you start with the LOOT. You give W the opportunity to accept the lead but make clear that the revoke then becomes established and two tricks will be transferred to the NOS. The play continues and the fact that E revoked is UI to W. if the LOOT isn't accepted, it's S turn to play, but we first have to take care of the revoke, which is not established. E plays a diamond, S can do whatever he wants and East's trump becomes a major penalty card.
Joost

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-June-18, 14:19

View Postsanst, on 2017-June-18, 12:36, said:

As far as I known you have to work backwards from this point, which means that you start with the LOOT.

That's not in the law book. It is often the best approach, and may be here. But I don't think mine is wrong in law.

You give W the opportunity to accept the lead but make clear that the revoke then becomes established and two tricks will be transferred to the NOS. The play continues and the fact that E revoked is UI to W. if the LOOT isn't accepted, it's S turn to play, but we first have to take care of the revoke, which is not established. E plays a diamond, S can do whatever he wants and East's trump becomes a major penalty card.

One thing you left out: East exposed a diamond card. That card, if not substituted for the trump he played on trick one, becomes a major penalty card.

You can't know how many tricks will be transferred until EW wins a second trick during the play. If they don't, only one trick is transferred.

Everything after "if the LOOT isn't accepted" is pretty much a short version of what I said. :)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-19, 02:51

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-June-18, 14:19, said:

That's not in the law book. It is often the best approach, and may be here. But I don't think mine is wrong in law.

I was taught this approach. The other way around might lead to ambiguities. Anyway, the law book is suspiciously quiet on combinations of irregularities.

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-June-18, 14:19, said:

Everything after "if the LOOT isn't accepted" is pretty much a short version of what I said. :)

That's why I didn't repeat your wise words.;)
Joost

#6 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-19, 03:29

As far as I known you have to work backwards from this point, which means that you start with the LOOT. You give W the opportunity to accept the lead but make clear that the revoke then becomes established and two tricks will be transferred to the NOS.

I don't think your conclusion is correct. Even if you are correct about working backwards (I actually agree with blackshoe's interpretation but that's beside the point here), accepting the lead doesn't establish the revoke. All it does is determine who leads at this point, and West hasn't played to the next trick yet. Nor does West get the opportunity to do so with the director standing there, so East's revoke never becomes established.

The next thing you have to do is apply Law 62. East now must correct the revoke by playing the diamond, and South may withdraw both cards before playing to the trick on which the revoke occurred. So play really resumes from the correction of the revoke (with East having a major penalty card) and the fact that West accepted the lead out of turn is no longer relevant. South doesn't even have to win the revoke trick if having E-W on lead is valuable at this point.

#7 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-June-19, 06:38

Can's South change his lead at trick two? 62C1(2017)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#8 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-19, 08:17

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-June-19, 06:38, said:

Can's South change his lead at trick two? 62C1(2017)

The way I understand the Laws the correct procedure is:

1: West may accept the lead to trick 2 out of sequence by South. If he so does then play continues and the revoke by East is established as soon as West plays a card to trick 2.

2: If West doesn't accept the lead out of sequence by South to trick 2 then East is on the lead to trick 2. South may not change his discard of a small trump to trick 1 but he may withdraw the card he led out of sequence to trick 2.

3: If East now leads to the next trick then this lead establishes the revoke and play continues.

If at any time during this process attention is called to the revoke by East (before it is established) then the above process is terminated, the revoke must be corrected (Laws 62A and B) and any cards played subsequent to the revoke may be withdrawn subject to Law 62C.

According to OP East called attention to his revoke before attention was called to the lead out of sequence by South. Consequently steps 2 and 3 above are not executed and South may withdraw his low trump played to trick 1 and his card led to trick 2. (Laws 62B and C1)

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-June-19, 08:36

View Postpran, on 2017-June-19, 08:17, said:

The way I understand the Laws the correct procedure is:

1: West may accept the lead to trick 2 out of sequence by South. If he so does then play continues and the revoke by East is established as soon as West plays a card to trick 2.

2: If West doesn't accept the lead out of sequence by South to trick 2 then East is on the lead to trick 2. South may not change his discard of a small trump to trick 1 but he may withdraw the card he led out of sequence to trick 2.

3: If East now leads to the next trick then this lead establishes the revoke and play continues.

If at any time during this process attention is called to the revoke by East (before it is established) then the above process is terminated, the revoke must be corrected (Laws 62A and B) and any cards played subsequent to the revoke may be withdrawn subject to Law 62C.

According to OP East called attention to his revoke before attention was called to the lead out of sequence by South. Consequently steps 2 and 3 above are not executed and South may withdraw his low trump played to trick 1 and his card led to trick 2. (Laws 62B and C1)

The problem with your procedure is that East has already indicated (by showing a diamond) that he revoked. Before the revoke is established. So he must correct it before anything else happens.
--------------------

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-19, 08:58

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-June-19, 08:36, said:

The problem with your procedure is that East has already indicated (by showing a diamond) that he revoked. Before the revoke is established. So he must correct it before anything else happens.

Isn't that exactly what pran said in the sentence beginning with "If at any time during this process attention is called to the revoke by East"?

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-June-20, 17:28

I suppose it is. :ph34r:
--------------------

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users