BBO Discussion Forums: Quick question - 2017 lead penalties - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quick question - 2017 lead penalties

#21 User is offline   peterb001 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-20, 19:30

View PostBudH, on 2017-June-17, 17:47, said:

North opens 1D out of turn when East is dealer and is not accepted.

Auction proceeds

1S-Pass-4NT-Pass
5C-Pass-6S-all pass

4NT was keycard ask
5C showed West was missing one keycard between the partnership.

West holding KJ109 of spades was about to ask for the spade queen when he realized East would be able to force an opening spade lead under the new 2017 laws.

Is this correct?

Going back to the original question, my reading of it is that the contract is being played by East, in which case East has to decide on any lead requirement without any input from West. So it may not be obvious to East to ask for a spade lead. If on the other hand, West asks for QS, and then still bids the slam even if East denies it, then it will be fairly obvious to East to ask for a trump lead?

#22 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-June-22, 06:35

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-June-20, 17:10, said:

Yes, they did. Which is why I've posted a couple of times now that I expect they will go into effect in North America at 11:59 PM on that date. B-) But the ACBL has made no official announcement yet.

Monday September 11, 18, or 25 are very likely, so as to not interfere with a regional tournament changing laws midstream.

Note in September 2008, it was the FIRST half of September (one week after Labor Day Monday) when the laws changed in ACBL play. September 11 would be the equivalent date to that, although I won't be surprised if they choose one of the last two Mondays.

#23 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-22, 08:55

I don't believe there is any clear or fixed rule for this, but in my opinion a multi-session event that lasts over several days should be run in its entirety under the Laws that applies at the start of that event. (Rules should never be changed in the middle of an event.)

Now, as I understand, WBFLC has announced September 30 as the latest date for implementing the 2017 Laws, and I don't know anything that prevents an organiser from applying the 2017 Laws at an earlier date for a multisession event that crosses this date?

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-23, 08:55

View Postpran, on 2017-June-22, 08:55, said:

I don't believe there is any clear or fixed rule for this, but in my opinion a multi-session event that lasts over several days should be run in its entirety under the Laws that applies at the start of that event. (Rules should never be changed in the middle of an event.)

It depends on what you consider the "rules" to be. If it's the Conditions of Contest, then you're not really changing the rules. If the CoC say that you're using the 2007 Laws for day 1, 2017 Laws for day 2, it's one set of rules that refers to two versions of the Laws.

#25 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-23, 15:50

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-23, 08:55, said:

It depends on what you consider the "rules" to be. If it's the Conditions of Contest, then you're not really changing the rules. If the CoC say that you're using the 2007 Laws for day 1, 2017 Laws for day 2, it's one set of rules that refers to two versions of the Laws.

And if the CoC is silent?

#26 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-July-02, 15:59

View PostBudH, on 2017-June-22, 06:35, said:

Monday September 11, 18, or 25 are very likely, so as to not interfere with a regional tournament changing laws midstream.

Note in September 2008, it was the FIRST half of September (one week after Labor Day Monday) when the laws changed in ACBL play. September 11 would be the equivalent date to that, although I won't be surprised if they choose one of the last two Mondays.

The ACBL July Bulletin I just received contains the first article on the new laws. Also, it confirmed late September when ACBL will begin using the new laws. I still expect September 18 or 25.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users