BBO Discussion Forums: Minor updates to BBO: Daylongs, Find member feature - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Minor updates to BBO: Daylongs, Find member feature

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-16, 14:18

BBO has been updated with a few minor tweaks and bug fixes.

What has changed?

Daylong Tournament improvements:
  • As soon as you complete a Daylong Tournament, it disappears from the list of Pending Tournaments and is shown in Completed Tournaments
  • You can now click the Results button for a Daylong Tournament you have just completed and see a provisional leaderboard showing your scores so far. Final results will be available when the tournament expires

Find Member improvements:
  • The "Find member" feature (in Who's Online) now allows you to look for another BBOer either by username, or by real name. When a name or username is searched, you'll get a list of results and suggested matches instead of one single username. A matching username when searching for someone by name will show up only if the friend you're looking for has his/her real name in profile.

Other minor bug fixes

Announcement here.

#2 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2017-June-16, 14:46

The "Find member" changes looks like a great improvement. Thanks.

#3 User is offline   SelfGovern 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge (huh?), Toastmasters, Data Storage, photography

Posted 2017-June-16, 16:32

The "find member" changes are intriguing... but not working right (by my understanding of what they should do, anyway).

• I can search for a shortened version of a person's BBO name, and not get all the matches. For instance, if I know I have seen player xyz1472, but can't remember the "1472", if I type xyz and hit enter, it does not bring back xyz1472 (although it brings back many others). Although I've used numbers here, it's true for alpha strings as well. (and yes, I have tried with people who have their real names in profile, both by first and last name)

• I have tried looking for several people I know by name (even me!), and the search results have not returned any of the known people. That is, neither "thomas" or "rush" returns my record.

Liberty breeds responsibility

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-16, 17:01

View PostSelfGovern, on 2017-June-16, 16:32, said:

The "find member" changes are intriguing... but not working right (by my understanding of what they should do, anyway).

• I can search for a shortened version of a person's BBO name, and not get all the matches. For instance, if I know I have seen player xyz1472, but can't remember the "1472", if I type xyz and hit enter, it does not bring back xyz1472 (although it brings back many others). Although I've used numbers here, it's true for alpha strings as well. (and yes, I have tried with people who have their real names in profile, both by first and last name)
  • I have tried looking for several people I know by name (even me!), and the search results have not returned any of the known people. That is, neither "thomas" or "rush" returns my record.

It's not a google-leve accuracy search box. Only a minor improvement to the previous way which was allowing people to look up somebody only when they knew the exact username. Like on most search engines, looking for a very generic string will return a list of inaccurate matches. Thomas and Rush are very wide searches. Try Thomas Rush, that will work. Same for say mary1234, if you look up only mary, it's going to give you a shortlist of pretty random stuff, since it's so generic.

It's not the perfect search box, but we think it's better than the previous one. Can be improved along the way, of course. After players use it, we can figure out what needs improvement based on feedback, such as yours.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-17, 02:07

I suspect many would prefer the 'Find member' to search their list of friends before searching the main database.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   juannt 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-17, 11:30

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-June-16, 17:01, said:

It's not a google-leve accuracy search box. Only a minor improvement to the previous way which was allowing people to look up somebody only when they knew the exact username. Like on most search engines, looking for a very generic string will return a list of inaccurate matches. Thomas and Rush are very wide searches. Try Thomas Rush, that will work. Same for say mary1234, if you look up only mary, it's going to give you a shortlist of pretty random stuff, since it's so generic.

It's not the perfect search box, but we think it's better than the previous one. Can be improved along the way, of course. After players use it, we can figure out what needs improvement based on feedback, such as yours.

"A shortlist of pretty random stuff"(?) It's the worst search function I've ever seen in my life and that's the most puzzling admission I think I'll ever see. A search function that's set up to generate "random stuff?" That's worse than completely useless; it's intentionally misleading--unless you're saying, like when responding to a bid query, that your only duty under The Laws is to state the agreement with the user (that he clicked "search," and you returned...something) but not actual substantive search results.

Do you guys not have an actual database of user names, perhaps including real names, if provided by the account holder in the profile?

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-17, 16:58

View Postpaulg, on 2017-June-17, 02:07, said:

I suspect many would prefer the 'Find member' to search their list of friends before searching the main database.

The point of this is to make it easier to add someone as a friend when you're not sure of their username.

You can easily find friends who are online by going to the Friends tab of Who's Online, and you can find other friends with the "My Friends" button.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-June-17, 17:06

View PostSelfGovern, on 2017-June-16, 16:32, said:

I can search for a shortened version of a person's BBO name, and not get all the matches. For instance, if I know I have seen player xyz1472, but can't remember the "1472", if I type xyz and hit enter, it does not bring back xyz1472 (although it brings back many others). Although I've used numbers here, it's true for alpha strings as well. (and yes, I have tried with people who have their real names in profile, both by first and last name)

It only returns 20 matches, so if there are lots of users who match what you're searching for, it might not find the one you want.

I have tried looking for several people I know by name (even me!), and the search results have not returned any of the known people. That is, neither "thomas" or "rush" returns my record.

There are 240 users named Thomas, and 37 with Rush in their names.

Also, it will never return yourself. If you want to see your own profile, click on your name at the top of the screen.

#9 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-20, 17:33

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-June-16, 17:01, said:

It's not the perfect search box, but we think it's better than the previous one.

I really hate say this, but I MUST. Each your "improvement" is fork in the throath. Honest--- now when i needed look for player i parded last night, that I want mark as a friend - I get 20+ 'hits'?
WHY BBO staff spends time developing features that are not only useless but step-back as this one?

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-June-21, 08:49

View PostCurls77, on 2017-June-20, 17:33, said:

I really hate say this, but I MUST. Each your "improvement" is fork in the throath. Honest--- now when i needed look for player i parded last night, that I want mark as a friend - I get 20+ 'hits'?
WHY BBO staff spends time developing features that are not only useless but step-back as this one?

Prior to this, you would get 0 hits unless you remembered his name exactly. This is intended to be helpful if you couldn't remember.

The order of results is:

Username is the search string
Search string is a prefix of username
Search string is a prefix of real name
Username sounds like search string
Real name sounds like search string
Username or real name contains search string

So if you remember the name correctly, the result you would have gotten with the old system will be at the top of the list.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users