• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play or Bidding?

#21 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-16, 11:55

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-June-16, 11:22, said:

But TBH their bidding isn't that wonderful either. Plus, they are quick to criticize when you assume that one of them knows what they are doing and make the correct technical bid that he doesn't understand.

Agree completely. Luckily for some, poor bidders often cancel each other out, for example when one overbids and the other underbids. This happens particularly after a take out double.

My point is that in lots of cases poor bidders can stil get to the right contract if the hands are straightforward. However many struggle to make even the easiest of contracts. But then, perhaps I have been kibbing the wrong "experts".

#22 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-16, 12:22

View PostLeft2Right, on 2017-June-16, 10:13, said:

The real answer: Defense! There are three boats that need to rise together: defense, declarer play and bidding. Most players load up their convention cards long before they learn good defense. Defense tends to be the most neglected third of the game for players below the Advanced level.

My game took an order of magnitude leap (in the 1970's) after I devoured Eddie Kantar's book.

It has certainly stood the test of time.

Agreed.

It's a disservice to lump declarer play and defensive play into the same bucket. The brain power and choreography required for declarer play and defense are different. Declarer play is essentially a one-mind/man band; your partner can get drinks while you perform your solo. Defensive play, however, requires signal communication with your partner and putting two brains together to upset the contract. You must dance with your partner across the finish line for optimal results.

If you have top-notch defense and top-notch bidding and intermediate declarer play, you will always be a dangerous force.
  • Assuming you have a solid partner and you are a top-notch bidder, you will land in the correct contract very frequently.
  • You will feel more confident in doubling your opponent's dubious bids.
  • You will defeat a lot of contracts that others won't with solid defensive skills. And
  • When your teams wins the auction, you probably will declare your contracts about 1/2 of the time. The caveat is you're declaring in the CORRECT contract because of top-notch, clinical bidding.

#23 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-16, 12:25

Duplicate-please delete.

#24 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-16, 13:06

View Postwank, on 2017-June-16, 01:51, said:

at the top levels it's the bidding that makes a difference.

at low levels it's all about sensible play and defence.

That's generally my impression, too, but in "The Rodwell Files," Eric Rodwell says precisely the opposite: that at the top levels, it's all about play and defense. He would know better than I.

Cheers,
mike

#25 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-June-17, 06:20

It requires a very good mental ability ,physical fitness and healthy evironment if one wants to reach greater heights not only in bridge but in all individual or team games.An expert bridge player playing in an international final in bridge spends the same energy, as an expert cardiologist doing a heart surgery operation lasting 3 hours ,when playing 20 tough deals.Joe Root cannot become a Hamman even if he wishes to! And vice versa of course.It is indeed very difficult to progress from an advanced to expert level let alone world class as the other factors like social obligations etc .need to be fulfilled also.(more particularly for the ladies).Taking Bridge ,in isolation,bidding,gadgets and conventions,defence ,playout and all the strategies to be used to suit the type of contest are equally important as also the temperament.P.S.please do not consider this as a lecture.

#26 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2017-June-17, 06:30

View PostTylerE, on 2017-June-15, 11:08, said:

At the world championship level, perhaps.

At the club/local tourney I'd flip that... it's all about eeking out those overtricks in the obvious 3N/4M contracts.

eeking out tricks is irrelevant if you are in the wrong contract!
:D

#27 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2017-June-17, 06:32

View Postmiamijd, on 2017-June-16, 13:06, said:

That's generally my impression, too, but in "The Rodwell Files," Eric Rodwell says precisely the opposite: that at the top levels, it's all about play and defense. He would know better than I.

Cheers,
mike

Of course he says that!! He starts fro an ASSUMPTION that his bidding system will produce the best contract!!

#28 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2017-June-21, 10:07

If working on your bidding means learning new conventions, you should definitely work on your play (including defense).

#29 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-21, 11:44

View Postdokoko, on 2017-June-21, 10:07, said:

If working on your bidding means learning new conventions, you should definitely work on your play (including defense).
I need a "super positive reputation" key for this one!

A much better way to learn bidding is to bid pairs of hands (using only your current conventions, if any) with your favorite partner and discuss what went wrong when you don't like your contract. If you still disagree on what went wrong, there are plenty of decent players here to answer your questions!

#30 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-21, 12:34

View Postspotlight7, on 2017-June-15, 07:15, said:

Bidding is 80% of bridge if I remember correctly.

And play is the other 80%

#31 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-June-21, 13:06

If you say improve your bidding there's more to it than one would suspect.

Some people think "improve your bidding" seems to be about adding more and more gadgets to their bidding repertoire. That's not necessarily true. I recall seeing an article by Larry Cohen a year or two where his thesis was that most players would be better served by thoroughly learning how to use the tools in their existing bidding toolbox than adding more tools to it. It something that resonates with my experience a lot.

For example, do you thoroughly understand all the bidding sequences that follow from basic conventions like Stayman, Jacoby transfers, Jacoby 2 NT, etc.? When you do, you'll be in a significantly better place than most other players. As you start to compete against "real" expert players, you'll find that they are thoroughly conversant in such tools which leads to getting to far more right places than most. Yeah, they may have some additional tools they use, but mostly those are only add-ons only after the basic tools are thoroughly understood.

That leads to the second piece of "improve your bidding" which is improving your bidding judgement. This incorporates things like hand evaluation, reevaluating one's hand throughout the auction, and learning when to push or be conservative. Another piece of it is the "being on the same page" effect. You'll notice that the top expert partnerships seem to have hundreds of pages of note about their bidding. It's because they've been through and/or discussed just about every bidding sequence that could come up and have an understanding of what those sequences mean. So when those sequences come up, they've have an agreement or approach of how to bid them which most people don't have. Even more so, they learn how their partner thinks/approaches bidding and even if they have no formal agreement can sort out how their partner is bidding. In effect, they are both reading off the same page - which is a huge advantage and improvement versus most.

Finally, we come to adding tools or gadgets. Adding stuff to help solve specific holes in your bidding can be useful, but it needs to be at an appreciation of what you get for it and what you lose. There's always a trade off. One big consideration may be the burden on your memory of adding the tool. I'm not only talking about the burden as you fill out your convention card, but also during the heat of competition. I recall playing against a young pair in a regional 2nd bracket KO semifinal. They obviously were in their first semifinal and had this complicated 1 bidding system that even changed based on whether they opened in 1st or 3rd seat. After a couple good results for us and the resultant pressure it applied, their memories went out the window and they made fatal bidding errors on several remaining boards.

#32 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-21, 23:31

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-June-21, 13:06, said:

Some people think "improve your bidding" seems to be about adding more and more gadgets to their bidding repertoire. That's not necessarily true. I recall seeing an article by Larry Cohen a year or two where his thesis was that most players would be better served by thoroughly learning how to use the tools in their existing bidding toolbox than adding more tools to it. It something that resonates with my experience a lot.
This reminds me of an experience that I had a few years ago when I was teaching a class and one of the players said she was playing with her friend (who was there) and her friend said they should play Jacoby transfers (which I was pretty sure neither of them were ready for.) "Oh no, it's really easy! She just bids 2D to tell me to bid 2H and bids 2H to tell me to bid 2S. We got this."

So I gave each one of them a hand and had them bid it. They got to 3NT with 16 opposite 2.

I gave them another hand pair. This time they played in their weak 5-2 fit in game.

Third time's a charm! They played in 3H (from the weak side!) with a 5-2 fit and 16 opposite 3.

My student suggested to her friend "Maybe we better not play those transfers. We know what we're doing with Standard."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users