BBO Discussion Forums: Do you open the bidding playing 2/1? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you open the bidding playing 2/1? Quck poll

Poll: Opening Bids in 2 over 1 game forcing (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you open this hand?

1. Yes (21 votes [87.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. No (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Would you open a hand in 2/1GF and not SAYC or vice versa?

1. Yes (6 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. No (18 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-13, 17:14

I'd appreciate if this poll was answered by players that play 2/1, that either sometimes play SAYC or think they know standard bidding well, and don't think that their opening bids when playing 2/1 are influenced by sometimes playing a strong club system.

This is a hand under a quiz in a new book intended to teach 2/1 GF to players who play Standard. The heading of the quiz is "Opening Bids in 2 over 1." I'm doing a reality check because I disagree with the author.

1. Do you open this hand?

2. While you may make the same opening call with this hand whether you play 2/1 or standard bidding, is there a hand in which you would open in 2/1 and not in Standard (or vice versa)? A "No" response indicates that your opening bid would never be influenced by whether you were playing 2/1 or Standard.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 18:18

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-June-13, 17:14, said:

I'd appreciate if this poll was answered by players that play 2/1, that either sometimes play SAYC or think they know standard bidding well, and don't think that their opening bids when playing 2/1 are influenced by sometimes playing a strong club system.

This is a hand under a quiz in a new book intended to teach 2/1 GF to players who play Standard. The heading of the quiz is "Opening Bids in 2 over 1." I'm doing a reality check because I disagree with the author.

1. Do you open this hand?

2. While you may make the same opening call with this hand whether you play 2/1 or standard bidding, is there a hand in which you would open in 2/1 and not in Standard (or vice versa)? A "No" response indicates that your opening bid would never be influenced by whether you were playing 2/1 or Standard.

1-Always, auto, on any seat and any colors.

2-No
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-June-13, 20:56

I pass as the hand lacks the good intermediates that support the playing strength of a weaker hand. Doesn't matter the system.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-14, 01:47

I pass the OP hand in either system. When I must choose between bidding more or less, I usually bid less until I can limit my hand, and then bid more if there is opportunity later. If I open this hand, partner will always expect more than I have, because I could hardly have less. If I open 1S and partner responds with a forcing 2H, I don't know how to tell partner that my hand got worse and I wish I hadn't opened.

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2017-June-14, 03:18

looks like a totally normal opening bid to me!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is online   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 03:58

I won't take part in the poll - I usually play four-card majors and a weak NT.

This shape is awkward, since a two heart response gives me an ugly rebid (playing a strong NT you can presumably rebid 2NT). But I still probably open.

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-June-14, 04:28

View PostTramticket, on 2017-June-14, 03:58, said:

This shape is awkward, since a two heart response gives me an ugly rebid (playing a strong NT you can presumably rebid 2NT). But I still probably open.

Some versions of 2/1 you can rebid 2 with 5+ cards and a minimum.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 04:30

View PostTramticket, on 2017-June-14, 03:58, said:

It's not really an ugly rebid - you just have to have an agreement what you do with these hands. 2S is commonly a catch-all bid.

#9 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-June-14, 04:35

I think in today's world your opening 1 whatever system your playing. It is just too big an advantage to open the bidding first. Opponents bidding (even beginners) when they open is too much better than when they have to overcall. Yes 2 is an awkward response from partner but if the opponent's have hearts I'd rather they overcall 2 than let them open 1.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#10 User is online   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 06:07

Opening seems like it gets you in first. If LHO over calls 2H will you re-open dble is a reasonable way of approaching these hands. If partner bids 2H you make a rebid of 2N (I like to play 3D here would show 2 good suits). Maybe you end up in a poor game, but thats happened before.

#11 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 07:53

I usually play a system similar to SAYC, and alternatively 2/1. I have agreed with all my partners to open according to the rule of 20, so this is a standard 1 opener to me, the expected rebid is 2. If partner bids 2, I bid 2 but it depends on system. If I understand correctly, the more traditional variant of 2/1 rebids 3 over 2.

One exception: With the red suits exchanged and playing BBO robots I would not rebid 2 over 1NT because robots raise to 4 with any junk. But this has no relevance to a real bridge table.

#12 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 10:26

View Postsilvr bull, on 2017-June-14, 01:47, said:

I pass the OP hand in either system. When I must choose between bidding more or less, I usually bid less until I can limit my hand, and then bid more if there is opportunity later. If I open this hand, partner will always expect more than I have, because I could hardly have less. If I open 1S and partner responds with a forcing 2H, I don't know how to tell partner that my hand got worse and I wish I hadn't opened.

Beautifully said.

You can open 1 in 1st or 2nd seat and put your stake in the ground using a valid rule of 20 rationale, but how will your partner unpack this marginal open if he has a bad 11-12? If your partner bids a forcing 2 it is going to be hard to apply the brakes and put the genie back in the bottle.

Also, this hand is always borderline especially since intermediates are missing in action. This hand is really a 'tweener that can be dangerous in defense or an excellent dummy for partner. PASS can work wonders, but bridge is a bidder's game.

#13 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 10:48

Change a small club to a small heart and it's a hand I'd open at 5 card major strong NT Acol (i.e. SAYC except 1X-2Y-2X passable) but not at 2/1.

My preferred variant of 2/1 rebids 2S (catchall for minimums) over 2H.

Vulnerable at IMPs with the given hand, I would bid on over a limit raise. (Game makes opposite KQxx xxxx Kxx xx - a perfect construction to be sure, but well below minimum for a limit raise.)

#14 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 11:34

If partner has not already passed:
If you play that a weak 2 may be 5 cards and 11 hcp, this hand is too strong; you open 1.
If not playing that, you open 1.

If it has started pass (pass) then:
I open 2 whichever version of the weak 2 I am playing.

#15 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 12:57

I suspect this is right up there with the days when beginners were taught 16-18 1nt openers.

That did an extreme disservice to them when they ventured out to a duplicate and were bidding against the field without the card play skills to survive or especially the ability to distinguish a system fix from an error which is a big drag on the learning curve.

This is a clear cut opener in todays game and my favorite action shape with 3 trump suits + nt as viable landing spots.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#16 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-June-14, 16:59

I'm opening this hand -- rule of 20 with 2 QT and 7 losers. If the hand were Axxxx xx QJx Axx or similar, it would be a clear cut pass to me. Loser count tends to be a tie breaker for me these days.

I make the minimum rebid if a 2/1 bid comes back.

#17 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 17:09

At the time of this post, 14 opened and 2 passed, and 5 said playing 2/1 might affect an opening bid while 11 said it wouldn't.

The recently released book advised you not to open this hand playing 2/1 because if your partner responded 2H, you will get too high. Since it's not at all a bad hand and easily meets the rule of 20+2, I thought that this was rather "chicken" advice, and just wanted to make sure others agreed.

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 17:23

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-June-14, 17:09, said:

At the time of this post, 14 opened and 2 passed, and 5 said playing 2/1 might affect an opening bid while 11 said it wouldn't.

The recently released book advised you not to open this hand playing 2/1 because if your partner responded 2H, you will get too high. Since it's not at all a bad hand and easily meets the rule of 20+2, I thought that this was rather "chicken" advice, and just wanted to make sure others agreed.

Who is the author?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#19 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 17:33

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-June-14, 17:09, said:

It's not totally silly advice because those 10-13 hands with 5+ hearts are clearly a weakness in many forms of 2/1. You have to either bid 2H and risk getting overboard opposite a hand like this, bid 1NT and risk not being able to show the hand (after, for instance, a 2S bid), or introduce artificial agreements.

This sort of problem is why it's becoming more common to play invitational jump-shifts after 1H/S. If you have a good way of handling the invitational heart hands, the author's objection isn't relevant anymore.

#20 User is offline   Nabooba 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 19:30

I would not play with anyone who deems this hand to be a pass.
Where are you parrot?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users