Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to multi with both M

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-12, 06:59

In some partnerships I play a multi-2 as showing a weak two in a major, a strong two in a minor, or a balanced 20-22 count. The most common difficulty we have with it is when partner has a weak hand with both majors and wants to increase the level of pre-emption, but then risks pre-empting partner when they have one of the strong hand-types. A recent example was a fourth-hand multi, which is perhaps a separate case, but the problem occurs in all seats:

Matchpoint pairs, NS vul:

P - P - P - 2
P - ?

It's likely that partner has a strong hand, but could just about have an intermediate two in a major. Do you ignore the possibility and bid 2 to see what rebid you get?

In general what do you do with a 4=4-(3-2) shape with < 4 points when partner opens a multi in any position?

("The Mysterious Multi" claims be the comprehensive guide to the convention, but offers no help in this case.)

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-12, 07:10

In my world:
- a fourth seat multi is always strong. I generally bid 2 to allow partner to clarify.
- a third seat multi, followed by a pass by RHO is often strong. I am careful about raising the pre-emption.

In general, we use a 4 response to show 4-4 in the majors.

I'm not particularly keen on including the "strong two in a minor" option.

#3 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-12, 09:03

View PostVixTD, on 2017-June-12, 06:59, said:

It's likely that partner has a strong hand, but could just about have an intermediate two in a major. Do you ignore the possibility and bid 2 to see what rebid you get?

Yes.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#4 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-12, 13:40

View PostVixTD, on 2017-June-12, 06:59, said:

In general what do you do with a 4=4-(3-2) shape with < 4 points when partner opens a multi in any position?

Forget about bouncing the opponents out of the bidding and concentrate on your own bidding, so 2 . Once in a while you will get a hand where pre-emption is correct, but more often than not you will make things difficult for partner.

I played the Multi for years. Personally I don't like having a strong minor as an option. It's too Benjaminised Acol(ish) and I don't like Benjaminised Acol either. (Just my opinion.)

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-June-12, 15:08

View PostTramticket, on 2017-June-12, 07:10, said:

In my world:
- a fourth seat multi is always strong. I generally bid 2 to allow partner to clarify.

Yes partner has to be strong. To play 2 as possibly being an intermediate 2M in my opinion is pretty close to unplayable. A natural 2M could be played as intermediate.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-12, 15:21

A partner of mine said that 5-9 with 44(32) shape (ie values for 3N opposite strong balanced) responds 3N and partner knows what to do now.

By a passed hand, you could respond 2N with 0-4 44 I suppose.

#7 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 07:06

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-June-12, 13:40, said:

I played the Multi for years. Personally I don't like having a strong minor as an option. It's too Benjaminised Acol(ish) and I don't like Benjaminised Acol either. (Just my opinion.)

No, that's my opinion as well, but it was my partner's idea, and I can't always have my way.

#8 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 07:10

View PostTramticket, on 2017-June-12, 07:10, said:

In my world:
- a third seat multi, followed by a pass by RHO is often strong. I am careful about raising the pre-emption.

In general, we use a 4 response to show 4-4 in the majors.

I'm not particularly keen on including the "strong two in a minor" option.

I'd not come across this use of a 4 response before, but it did occur to me as I was thinking about the problem.

I agree about the strong minors. Thanks to all for the advice.

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2017-June-13, 07:18

There were some suggestions about
3M=3M4oM
3NT=4-4
4C=5-4
4D=4-5
(all of it with 5-9 ish as mentioned before)

if I recall correctly​. IMO it's a bit too specific and you'll get by with something much less detailed.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-June-13, 10:00

Always 2Heart. But I hate multi 2D opening.We found that 2D weak is of no use as a preempt.I like to use it to show any 4441 hand with 17 to 24 HCP.( The Blue Club bid) .With my regular partner I play 2D Flannery.The given hand is not good enough to respond 2S.
I do not like the idea to include a strong minor hand in the multi 2D.More confusion for ourselves than the opponents.

#11 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-13, 10:19

2N is a relay it cannot be passed, but to show a strong minor most play that you must bid at the 4 level to show the strong club option. We do not need to preempt opps when opening in 4th seat so 2 seems logical.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-June-13, 15:12

Play a weak-only Multi. It is far more dangerous.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-13, 16:46

someone said:

We found that 2D weak is of no use as a preempt.

Very flawed conclusion, IMV.

Try construct a good defence against Multi-2D,
then test it on a series of random deals where opps open 2D and your side has more than half the hcps,
and you see how often the defence becomes difficult and requires really good guess-work to come out right.

Even trickier the defence becomes, if you have no strong option in 2D (only weak major) so you can no longer trust opps to keep bidding over 2D...

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-June-13, 19:11

View PostStefan_O, on 2017-June-13, 16:46, said:

Very flawed conclusion, IMV.

Try construct a good defence against Multi-2D,
then test it on a series of random deals where opps open 2D and your side has more than half the hcps,
and you see how often the defence becomes difficult and requires really good guess-work to come out right.

Even trickier the defence becomes, if you have no strong option in 2D (only weak major) so you can no longer trust opps to keep bidding over 2D...

A series of two articles titled"countering the multi 2D" were published in the Bridge World magazine written by 'Eric Crowhurst way back in 1982 "(and that is ten years before I was born).We use the same with addition of lebensohl .and a modification or two.These articles were handed down to me by my father and we have found them to be very useful.Hence,I partially agree to disagree.After LHO in first seat opened 2D ,his partner doubled for take out,RHO bid 2HeartsPass or correct).My father bid 3D,natural and 10 plus to comfortably reach 5D which he made very easily.I do expect the opponents,who play regularly ,to have defence to weak multi 2D.! In my short long run in Bridge ,I have experienced this and hence the comments.Thx.

#15 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-June-14, 10:34

View Postgwnn, on 2017-June-13, 07:18, said:

3NT=4-4
4C=5-4
4D=4-5

It is usually the other way around, with 4 = 45+ and 4 = 5+4. This is what Chris Ryall has at his site as his system. It is specifically designed to help Opener make a good decision if they have a strong hand type. As others have already pointed out though, it is unusual to play a normal multi in 4th seat. Does "The Mysterious Multi" really suggest doing so?
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users