Posted 2017-June-12, 07:20

View PostTramticket, on 2017-June-12, 05:56, said:

Contract: 6 by North
No opposition Bidding
Lead: 2
Scoring: IMPs converted to VPs
(1) Do you want to be in this slam?
(2) What line do you take?

Comunications are awkward, especially if defenders lead trumps, so you probably want to avoid this slam.
I don't know what's the best line but feel that it's better to set up s, rather than to ruff 3 red losers in hand.

A guess: Win K. Cash KA. Unless Q drops, (over) ruff a .
(If East follows to the 3rd , then ruff high).
Lead a (Assume that it is won by defenders).
Win the return (with A say).
If s are 4-2 then ruff another high;
Discard a on K,
Draw trumps (If you had to ruff both s high, then finesse 9).
Cash (s)

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-12, 07:25

I probably would start K and try a to Q (towards close hand). If Q wins I try if spades split. If spades are 4-1 it is kinda long for my energy at this moment to type all of it. Not sure if this is the right line though but that's what I would do at the table in limited time.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-12, 14:01

View PostMrAce, on 2017-June-12, 07:25, said:

I probably would start K and try a to Q (towards close hand). If Q wins I try if spades split. If spades are 4-1 it is kinda long for my energy at this moment to type all of it. Not sure if this is the right line though but that's what I would do at the table in limited time.

Agree with Timo (MrAce). Surprisingly disagree mildly with nige1's statement - just a personal opinion - "so you probably want to avoid this slam" The hand is all aces and kings and top trumps. I'm not even looking at lines where the trumps are 4-1 (28%) but lines where trumps are 3-2 (68%). I cannot see many good partnerships keeping out of slam with the 2 hands. To me, it is a percentage slam where various lines to make it exist.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-June-12, 14:27

Interesting hand.

I also win the diamond K and immediately play a heart to the Q. I will assume this is a loser and a diamond is returned. Winning, I play a spade to the K, Cash the heart K, pitching a diamond, then play the spade Q. If the spades are breaking 3-2, I don't have the entries so I have to figure out the club situation now. I think I will lead the 9 and run it, as if this works I can cash K, cross in trumps, and ruff out the clubs and still get back to dummy with a heart ruff. With 4-1 spades I'll make the same play.

I think this is a slam a lot of good players might reach but it is better to avoid - change the club J to Q and it becomes good.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 09:22

Thanks all.

I started ok - winning in dummy and playing a small heart towards my queen. West took about 30 seconds before eventually going up with his ace.

He returned a diamond and I tried for the spade split - good news, they both followed suit to two rounds. I cashed the king of clubs, discarding a diamond, drew a third round and started on clubs - King, ace and then a ruffing finesse. West of course, took even more than 30 seconds to produce the queen.

With hind-sight. I think I should delay drawing trumps - playing on clubs immediately after trying to the first heart.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users