• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Serious error What qualifies

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-13, 10:02

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-June-13, 09:10, said:

Also, you should make darn sure that before you leave the site (and preferably before the next round) you discuss this with your partner and come to a firm agreement, and then remember that agreement. If it later turns out that you keep forgetting it, replace it with an agreement you can remember.

We have two pages of notes on continuations after our Mexican 2. The stuff on the first page contains the most common situations; they've come up enough that we generally remember them. The stuff on the second page comes up about once a year. Every now and then I reread it in the hope that it will stay in my memory, but I'm pretty sure I'll forget it if it comes up.

We probably should just get rid of that page, but I'm sure that if we do, we'll miss a slam the next week that we could have found using one of those bids. :(

#22 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-13, 14:12

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-13, 08:44, said:

What difference does it make to the UI whether he says "I've forgotten" or "I don't know"? Either way, partner has UI that he doesn't know what the meaning is.

None, but if you have to add: "I don't think it is natural." it does make a difference.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#23 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 14:15

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-June-13, 09:10, said:

It seems to me you are bound to provide your opponents MI no matter what you do, even if you do nothing.

But wouldn't it be good to have a regulation that tries to minimize the amount of UI, rather than one where you also need to indicate that you think it isn't natural?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#24 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 14:46

Misinformation exists whenever opponents are not correctly informed about (relevant) partnership agreements/understanding - period.

Examples include (but are not Limited to):
Missing alert where alert is required.
Giving incomplete information.
Giving incorrect information.

According to this "We have no agreements about this call" could be correct information if it is true, but "I do not know" is always misinformation.

(It might be true that you do not know, but no partnershijp can ever have an agreement or understanding that the players do not know. The correct information in such cases could be "we have no agreement".)

#25 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 15:52

View PostTrinidad, on 2017-June-13, 14:15, said:

But wouldn't it be good to have a regulation that tries to minimize the amount of UI, rather than one where you also need to indicate that you think it isn't natural?

Sure, but part of my point was that if the setup is such that if you don't alert your opponents can assume it's natural, then if you do alert, then saying you don't think it's natural is redundant and you shouldn't have to say it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#26 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2017-June-14, 08:54

The EBU think their regulation ("no agreement" is alertable / adjust on the basis that "no agreement" is the correct explanation) is supported by the new laws.

Law 75 : 2017

D2. It is a condition of any partnership agreement that both players possess the same mutual understanding, and it is an infraction to describe an agreement where the same mutual understanding does not exist. If the Director determines that the misleading explanation was not based upon a partnership agreement, he applies Law 21B.

D3. When there is an infraction (as per B1 or D2) and sufficient evidence exists as to the agreed meaning of the call, the Director awards an adjusted score based upon the likely outcome had the opponents received the correct explanation in a timely manner. If the Director determines that the call has no agreed meaning, he awards an adjusted score based upon the likely outcome had the opponents been so informed.

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#27 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-June-14, 12:26

View Postpran, on 2017-June-13, 14:46, said:

According to this "We have no agreements about this call" could be correct information if it is true, but "I do not know" is always misinformation.

True, but if it's a truthful statement then you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. What are you supposed to do?

#28 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-June-14, 12:31

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-June-13, 15:52, said:

Sure, but part of my point was that if the setup is such that if you don't alert your opponents can assume it's natural, then if you do alert, then saying you don't think it's natural is redundant and you shouldn't have to say it.

"Alert"
"Please explain"
"I don't know what it means" or "We have no agreement"
"Then why did you alert?"
"Based on general principles, I don't think it's natural, and the alerting regulations require artificial bids to be alerted in this context"

#29 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-June-14, 20:56

People will ask questions even when they ought to be able to figure out the answer for themselves. Or when they ought not to care.

FWIW, in answer to opponent's second question I would probably say "it seemed like a good idea at the time."
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#30 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2017-June-15, 00:46

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-14, 12:26, said:

True, but if it's a truthful statement then you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. What are you supposed to do?

If "I do not know" is a truthful statement then "(to my knowledge) We have no agreements" is also true.

Whatever explanation you give to opponents passes UI to your partner (unless screens are in use), so what you are supposed to do is "know your agreements".

#31 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-June-15, 07:54

View Postpran, on 2017-June-15, 00:46, said:

If "I do not know" is a truthful statement then "(to my knowledge) We have no agreements" is also true.

Not necessarily. It could be equivalent to "It's in our notes, but I don't remember what it says."

Like the 2nd page of my aforementioned 2 followups.

#32 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-June-15, 09:11

In one of Rosenkranz' later books, his character Godfrey is teaching some convention or other to a student. He goes through responses up to say 3, and his student asks "What about higher responses?" Godfrey says "Let's not worry about those right now; they hardly ever come up!" :lol:
--------------------

#33 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-June-15, 09:55

Even if you cannot explain the meaning of partner’s call, you should still alert (or announce) it
if you believe that is required.

4 A 6

If there is no alert and no announcement, opponents can assume that the call does not fall
within an alertable or announceable category, through either explicit or implicit
understanding. See also 2D2

(EBU Blue book).

"I think it is natural but am not sure" - means you cannot explain partner's call. (Is that any better than "I am taking it as natural"?)

So if you think it is natural but are not sure then I think you should alert, as you would if you think the call is conventional but it might be natural.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#34 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-June-16, 00:07

I agree with all that cashing the ace of hearts is not SE, just a poor play. One other point - South's 2D should not be explained as Michaels and not as majors either, but as hearts and spades. I explained it as majors in Montecatini and the [Chinese] opponents did not understand but when I drew a and and wrote 5+-5+ they got the message!
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#35 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-June-16, 08:10

If you and your opponents have a common language with which everyone is comfortable, I don't think "both majors, weak, at least 5-5 (or 5-4 if you play it that way)" is wrong. If you need to draw pictures, then sure, do so.
--------------------

#36 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2017-June-19, 01:21

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-15, 07:54, said:

Not necessarily. It could be equivalent to "It's in our notes, but I don't remember what it says."

Like the 2nd page of my aforementioned 2 followups.

And that is still misinformation because the true agreemenet/understanding is not disclosed.

#37 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-June-19, 08:31

If you have the notes at the table you can offer them to the opponent. Whether he accepts them or not, you are not guilty of providing MI.
--------------------

#38 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-June-19, 08:49

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-June-19, 08:31, said:

If you have the notes at the table you can offer them to the opponent. Whether he accepts them or not, you are not guilty of providing MI.

Good point, I usually do have them.

There's still some UI if I tell them that the reason I'm giving them the notes is because I don't remember. But that's partner's problem, not mine, and conveying UI is better (not an infraction if unavoidable) than giving MI.

#39 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2017-June-19, 11:50

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-19, 08:49, said:

Good point, I usually do have them.

There's still some UI if I tell them that the reason I'm giving them the notes is because I don't remember. But that's partner's problem, not mine, and conveying UI is better (not an infraction if unavoidable) than giving MI.

Indeed

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users