• You cannot reply to this topic

How do you bid this?

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-12, 18:17

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-June-12, 15:33, said:

My view is that adverse vulnerability means more playing strength is needed for the weaker hands - more like 6-5 and quite good suits.

........... I can't help it - I'm old. ;)

How old? Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   dave_beer 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-12, 18:43

A matter of agreement.

The older style for both unusual NT overcalls and Michaels cue-bids was split range, i.e., either save-oriented or hands strong enough so that there would be a good chance to make if partner took the save. The strong hand might take another call even if partner passed.

The modern style is continuous range, i.e., just get your shape into the auction and hope to be able to sort it out.

Playing split range, the given hand falls in the middle and you bid 2 hoping to bid next if the level is convenient; playing continuous range, you bid 2NT.

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-12, 20:58

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-June-11, 12:19, said:

When my favorite partner, Bob, was alive, we were adamant that these two-suited bids like the unusual NT should be only 1 of 2 hand types: either weak and sacrifice-orientated or very strong, so strong that you can't tolerate partner passing a bid.

When you try to mix in this third type, you force an unnecessary guessing game into your own bidding - IMHO.

I would bid 2D and not worry if it didn't work out on this particular hand.

At these colors, and opposite a passed hand partner, if you don't bid 2nt you are creating an unnecessary guessing game instead of letting partner select the correct suit. And, you are not gobbling up any room for the opponents to use at the two-level. Even if partner weren't a passed hand, 2nt would be right at red v red or red v white.

Regarding 'split range', fine. But it should mean the lower range is appropriate for the colors and the higher one is a moose. This one is not the "third type" to which you referred.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 04:41

View Postdave_beer, on 2017-June-12, 18:43, said:

Playing split range, the given hand falls in the middle and you bid 2 hoping to bid next if the level is convenient; playing continuous range, you bid 2NT.

well that's just silly, because there are no hands weaker than this which can bid 2nt

#25 User is offline   Nabooba 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 05:21

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-June-11, 12:19, said:

When my favorite partner, Bob, was alive, we were adamant that these two-suited bids like the unusual NT should be only 1 of 2 hand types: either weak and sacrifice-orientated or very strong, so strong that you can't tolerate partner passing a bid.

When you try to mix in this third type, you force an unnecessary guessing game into your own bidding - IMHO.

I would bid 2D and not worry if it didn't work out on this particular hand.

This is a poor philosophy. Show your shape first and then worry about the strength.
Where are you parrot?

#26 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 06:12

View Postmaximusg, on 2017-June-11, 10:04, said:

Obvious choices are 2nt, 2, and 2. Which do you choose? Sorry if this shouldn't be posted to the Expert board but I wanted expert opinions. Thanks. :P

Given other responses, I'm clearly in the minority. You also don't say whether it is MPs or IMPs.

At IMPs I don't think this hand has anywhere near the playing strength needed for a vul vs. not unusual 2NT, especially opposite a passed hand. I would like to see good intermediates in my suits and would expect 6-5 or 6-6 more often than 5-5 here.

At MPs 2NT has more going for it. I still wouldn't do it because I don't think the odds are in my favour. But that could be because almost everything I get to play in is IMPs.

2D for me, and I don't think it's close. 2NT just feels like you're asking for a double.

#27 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2017-June-13, 08:47

View Postmaximusg, on 2017-June-11, 10:04, said:

Obvious choices are 2nt, 2, and 2. Which do you choose? Sorry if this shouldn't be posted to the Expert board but I wanted expert opinions. Thanks. :P

The "obvious" bid is the unusual 2NT. But not everyone uses or likes this bid. If so,what is the alternative?
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#28 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 09:34

Over the years, generating action (and involving partner at the same time) with hands this "pure" -- suit quality and shape -- has worked out well for us. The dangers just don't seem to materialize, even when in theory they should have.

I contrive this example, but it is far from unlikely:

Axxx Xxx X Kxxxx across from the given hand. 4 doesn't make, if they bid it. If I pass or if I bid 2 (call the police if I bid 2), we will be defending Hearts... part score or game and collecting 50's or if lucky we might double 4 and get 500. I would rather have the pleasant option of Plus 600 or plus 800.

Sure, the above was manipulated to illustrate just what I wanted it to. But, 2nt knocks off their Drury and a lot of other tools while at the same time allowing Partner to make informed decisions for our side. It will be plus or break even a lot more often and for higher stakes than will silence.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#29 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 11:49

IMPS 2n Yes the risk of getting slaughtered is still present but stretching for game is still viable at these colors so risk vs reward seems to indicate goforit.
MP Pass chances of game seem slim and chances for -200 seems much greater given the lack of suit quality. -200 at imps no big deal but at MP ouchies.

#30 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-June-13, 18:16

View Postgszes, on 2017-June-13, 11:49, said:

IMPS 2n Yes the risk of getting slaughtered is still present but stretching for game is still viable at these colors so risk vs reward seems to indicate goforit.
MP Pass chances of game seem slim and chances for -200 seems much greater given the lack of suit quality. -200 at imps no big deal but at MP ouchies.

Yes, I agree. Some people still have this weird idea of "You can be aggressive at MP" as does SFI.
It is completely the opposite for most experts for a reason.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#31 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-June-13, 18:33

View Postsfi, on 2017-June-13, 06:12, said:

2D for me, and I don't think it's close. 2NT just feels like you're asking for a double.

I have sympathy for pass but zero sympathy for 2.

#32 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 18:44

View PostMrAce, on 2017-June-13, 18:16, said:

Yes, I agree. Some people still have this weird idea of "You can be aggressive at MP" as does SFI.
It is completely the opposite for most experts for a reason.

That's really not what I said. What I said was that it has more going for it.

At MPs, you might get lucky and talk them out of something, so there is a potential positive position that can be balanced against the -200s. At IMPs, the set of hands where you win is much smaller - you're looking for a good club fit where either you have game opposite a passed hand or can talk them out of their 4S contract.

I'm not worried about the -200s. I'm worried about -1100, which is worse at IMPs than at MPs. Frankly, I see little upside in bidding 2NT at any form of scoring.

#33 User is online   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-June-13, 20:16

View PostMrAce, on 2017-June-12, 18:17, said:

How old? Posted Image

Old enough to have played against Barry Crane numerous times, Hamman and Wolff a couple of times. And Oswald Jacoby, once in a club game in Dallas.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#34 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-June-13, 20:17

View PostNabooba, on 2017-June-13, 05:21, said:

This is a poor philosophy. Show your shape first and then worry about the strength.

I think the first question to answer is: should I bid? If you shouldn't bid, your shape is fairly meaningless ;)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#35 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-June-13, 20:20

View PostMrAce, on 2017-June-13, 18:33, said:

I have sympathy for pass but zero sympathy for 2.

I actually think pass is the best bid. I rescind my 2D bid.

#36 User is offline   Nabooba 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-13, 21:55

Passing is so bad that it is amusing that someone would even consider this.
Where are you parrot?

#37 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 00:34

View Postmsjennifer, on 2017-June-12, 10:45, said:

My bid is 2 Diamond.I am not brave enough to bid 2NT which this hand with the given vul does not qualify.Add two minor suit Knaves in place of one small in each minor and my bid will be 2NT.
I'm not sure bidding 2NT and showing two suits is any braver than bidding 2D and showing one suit. After all, if it goes 1S 2D P P X, are you bidding 3C or sitting for it? If you pass, you might be playing 2Dx on a 5-1 when you have a 5-4 club fit. If you bid 3C, you let the responder know that opener has a reopening double when making his decision, rather than choosing blind over 2NT - not to mention that the opening lead comes through partner's major suit strength rather than up to it.

#38 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-14, 00:34

View PostNabooba, on 2017-June-13, 21:55, said:

Passing is so bad that it is amusing that someone would even consider this.
After a few -1100's, you begin to realize the value of passing.

#39 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2017-June-14, 08:17

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-June-14, 00:34, said:

After a few -1100's, you begin to realize the value of passing.

A great expert once said "If you're not going down 800+ two or three times a week,
then you're not bidding enough!" :)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#40 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2017-June-14, 08:23

seems very close to me, my gut feeling is to pass but I could easily be persuaded that bidding is right.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users