BBO Discussion Forums: Pick an opening lead? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pick an opening lead? IMPs

Poll: What is your lead? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you lead against 1NT-3NT?

1. S10 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. S8 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. S5 (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. H9 (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. H2 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. DK (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

7. D2 (7 votes [46.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

8. Other (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

9. Either major okay (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-10, 17:53

You've agreed to fourth best leads. The opponents bid 1NT (15-17) raised to game. Your choice?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-10, 17:59

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-June-10, 17:53, said:

You've agreed to fourth best leads. The opponents bid 1NT (15-17) raised to game. Your choice?

We can not lead unless you give us a hand to lead from
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-10, 18:01

View PostMrAce, on 2017-June-10, 17:59, said:

We can not lead unless you give us a hand to lead from
Well I'll be damned! I put it in, and must have not hit Insert Diagram (funny, if I had 13 choices, that would have worked too :D )

OP to be edited

#4 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-10, 18:31

A horrible decision with this hand! Partner can't have much and any lead could hand declarer an extra trick. My own personal view if I was with a regular partner is to be consistent with our leads.

No Stayman used in the bidding, so in the absence of standard lead we'd always lead a major against this bidding. The problem with leading the 5 is that partner may think you have 4s and plan the defence on that basis.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-June-10, 19:48

I lead spade 8 as the least of evils.

Edit: I changed my vote to heart 9. Spade 10 is too big of card.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-10, 21:04

Is there an argument for the D2? It's IMPs, we want to beat it. Everything's splitting nicely for declarer, and the only thing that's likely to cause him a problem is the CAQ offside. We could therefore say that we need something good from partner, let's try to find him with Axx or Jxx in diamonds.

ahydra

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-June-10, 22:09

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-June-10, 17:53, said:

I rank
  • 2 As Ahydra says, this seems our best chance to set up tricks; and, at imps, we can take risks to defeat the contract.
  • Q To kill doubleton knave.
  • T But opponents don't always use Stayman,

#8 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-11, 00:40

Yes, on reflection 2 is standard, is unlikely to give away any further tricks, and has a 66% chance of finding partner with a useful card.

My suggestion of 5 now looks like the lead that does give declarer that extra trick :(

#9 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-11, 10:16

I will gamble with the DK. If I try a passive lead, I expect it is more likely that I will get end played later than that I will win two D tricks. The most I can hope for is that partner will have a king or a QJ to take a major suit trick. On a good day, partner can have DTxxx and my DK lead could force an entry into partner's hand for a C shift. On a REALLY good day, dummy will have 3=3=2=5 and declarer will have 4=4=2=3. Then the top D lead will give us at least 5 tricks (4 D + a C), if partner can stop one of the major suits.

#10 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-June-11, 11:46

Yeah, dummy has denied major length. But there's any even more overriding "fact" that needs to be considered.

You're looking at 11 HCPs. The opponents should have about 25+ points, so that accounts for something like 36 of the 40 HCP. That leaves maybe 4 HCP max for partner.

4 HCP isn't usually enough to provide enough high cards to set up a Major and have the vital entry to it. Guess I pay off if partner has a 6 card major headed by the A9 or A10, but how often does that happen?

Low from KQxx might not work out but seems the best option. If partner has D J, D J10 or even just D 10 it might just work out. (I've seen declarer's misguess and insert the 9 from AJ9 tight on several occasions.)

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-June-11, 12:13

IMO, the opps have most likely shown a pair of balanced hands facing each other. When there is no long suits to set up and run, there is not so much pressure to make an aggressive lead. This could easily be a 25-27 point hand and how cards are situated is more important than setting up the long diamond. Leading a diamond could give up a trick.

I'm usually in favor of an aggressive lead, but this hand and this auction sounds like a passive lead will work better, and now that I think about it I am more inclined to lead a high heart rather than the spade - as the spade 10 could be a critical card.

I'm thinking a hand like: Axx, KJx, AJ10x, Kxx for declarer and KJx, AQx, xxx, Jxxx for responder.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users