BBO Discussion Forums: Reailty check - decarer play - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reailty check - decarer play Am I too enamored with doubleton heart queens?

#1 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-10, 16:23

West leads the CK. Plan your play. Then compare the following two plays and tell me which is superior.

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-10, 17:33

Win the A and cash 2 rounds of , if 3-2 cash the 3rd one and then AK and play small towards J. If all fails come to hand with 4th ruff and go for finesse.

If turn out to be 4-1 I will need some luck (with Q and K being onside OR K on and 3-3 )

A- (W has 4 of them) : K and small towards dummy. Assume W dropped the Q, win the Ace and play 2nd club. Take the trump return and take diamond finesse (mandatory, you can get away by playing a small to dummy at this point if W has only 3 clubs but in case he has 4 of them you need to take finesse now). Assume W followed low on 2nd and you took the finesse, you are in good shape if finesse works so let's assume E won the J with Q. You now need 3-3 hearts. E will play clubs to W who will play 3rd round of spades. Win and take finesse and cash A...you know how to play the rest...

B-(E has 4 spades) : Play almost the same line. Win A, Cash AK and see E has 4 of them. Then K and to J. If things go bad and E wins the J with Q, hope that hearts are 3-3. There are other ways of dealing with 4-2 and Q offside but it is hard to play for them single dummy.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-10, 18:09

Suggested line: Duck CK (to make it harder to find a diamond shift.) Win the second club, draw trump, and take a heart finesse. Try for 3-3 hearts before taking a diamond finesse.

Mmmm.... (to make it harder to find a diamond shift.)

As both Kaitlyn and Timo (MrAce) recognise, timing is everything on this hand. Usually it is best to duck the K on the first round but ducking it, I believe, makes it far easier for West to find the shift.

Here South needs to be one tempo ahead of the defence.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-June-10, 22:22

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-June-10, 16:23, said:

West leads the CK. Plan your play. Then compare the following two plays and tell me which is superior.
Spoiler

Much prefer Kaitlyn's 2nd line.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users