BBO Discussion Forums: Handling Advanced partner in Party Bridge - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Handling Advanced partner in Party Bridge

#1 User is offline   Lark1959 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-09, 06:34

I'm a beginner. Been playing for almost a year socially, a bit longer on the computer. Doing lots of reading. Having a ton of fun. I'm playing weekly with a party/social group, we change partners/tables after each four hands.

I'm finding that the social group divides fairly evenly into two 'camps'. (1) - Fairly Standard American Yellow Card with some deviation (don't like Stayman, don't understand negative doubles etc). (2) - Goren. They tell me "I don't play any of that fancy stuff you learned in your class". Ha, Ha. They open strong twos in every suit, may open four card majors. So, I'm learning that opposite the Goren players, forget most of what I've been studying about conventions and try to respond appropriately.

Now we have the individual that apparently knows a LOT of conventions and throws them in the mix. Turns out she's an ex-duplicate player whose partner/spouse recently passed away. I know that I should discuss conventions after each reseating, but many times this doesn't happen.

This week, the mentioned partner opens 1NT. I have 9 points and 4 spades so I respond 2C. She replies 2S and add the word "denial". I have no clue what "denial" means, so I just respond 3S. We end up in 4S and partner is succcesful.

After the hand we discuss the hand. Partner tells me that people that play transfers don't play Stayman. (What????) Partner tells me that my 2C bid meant a transfer to diamonds. Wow, no wonder we get confused.

Comments or guidance? Thanks in advance

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-09, 06:38

your partner was of course wrong (and shouldn't be saying anything during the bidding). though she might act like she knows more about the game, the evidence suggests otherwise. very possibly you've outgrown the rest of the group.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users