ATB

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-09, 04:06

2/1 IMP pairs
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-09, 05:13

Poor S wanted to bid again I suspect but just can't. You can obviously have a play for 12 or 13 tricks on days your side has the all important A of clubs even if he has 4 little trumps. Its a difficult position for S, I see no blame.

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-09, 05:58

Personally, I don't understand East's 2 or South's 4. That South hand is massive in support of s. At equal vulnerability I take on board that it's less likely that the opponents will sacrifice (though it works well here). Did South expect anything other than 4 from North?

Though to be honest, it's going to take an imaginative bidding sequence to reach slam. Splintering with a South hand that has a distributional total point count in the region of 22 with top trumps is unimaginative in my opinion.

#4 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-09, 06:11

I'm not crazy about splinters when I have a long suit that might be a source of tricks if partner has a bit of help. If possible I would bid 4C, which should get something besides a sign-off from partner. 4H last train would be ideal, and the lack of wasted diamond values may be enough for South to push for the slam.

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-09, 07:17

north has far too much for 4s. all the blame to him.

2 extra trumps a.k.a. tricks and 2 top honours in partner's main suit. oh dear

#6 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-09, 08:51

I like a 4 Last Train, if available. If not, sitting North, I would think a bit longer and probably still make a move.

North owns this one.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-09, 09:38

Rub of the green, IMO.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-09, 12:36

The 4 bid, self pre-empting staring at those trumps plus the A PLUS the diamond void is very ill considered. Is north really going to cue 5 over that? (with just about anything that makes 6 let alone 7)

A simple 2 cue to set spades and a further cue (of hearts probably) would do the job against anything but a fast 5 bid by them.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-09, 12:55

The 4d bid is spot on here since any (non dia values) hands responder might have put us in the slam zone. Wank was spot on as well noting that N instead of counting HCP should trust their p to know what they are doing and give a simple 5c raise. Followed by 5d 5s 6c (if your partnership cannot cue the club Q here u are missing out on much) 7s shows how easy this game can get sometimes. FWIW i would give the simple 5c bid with only 4 spades in hand much less 6 of them:)

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-June-09, 12:59

View PostMrAce, on 2017-June-09, 04:06, said:

2/1 IMP pairs

Agree with Blackshoe, that it's hard. IMO
  • South 20%. Naturally, South is worried about his losers. On reflection, however, I go along with ggwizz's argument that South has a 3-4 loser hand with no trump loser. Thus, perhaps, he is too good for a 4 splinter. Hence, maybe, South should take it more slowly. For slam purposes, North's holding is likely to be crucial. Slam is reasonable opposite a fitting 2-count e.g. x x x x x x x x x x x Q x
  • North 30%. North lacks tops but South is likely to have good trumps when he shows 4+ card support for a 6-card suit. With such good s, North might bid 4 (Last-train). Perhaps North worries that South might have a more typical splinter. e.g. K J x x A K Q x x K J x x.

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-09, 13:13

Blame S, 4 is clearcut voidwood for me, 3 would be a splinter, xxxxx, xxx, xxx, Ax is a decent slam

#12 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-June-09, 13:28

View Postwank, on 2017-June-09, 07:17, said:

north has far too much for 4s. all the blame to him.

2 extra trumps a.k.a. tricks and 2 top honours in partner's main suit. oh dear

Agree 1000%. AKxx Axx x Kjxxx.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-June-09, 14:38

View Postggwhiz, on 2017-June-09, 12:36, said:

The 4 bid, self pre-empting staring at those trumps plus the A PLUS the diamond void is very ill considered. Is north really going to cue 5 over that? (with just about anything that makes 6 let alone 7)

A simple 2 cue to set spades and a further cue (of hearts probably) would do the job against anything but a fast 5 bid by them.

Agree, especially when holding a potential trick source in clubs.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#14 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-June-09, 15:25

View Postcherdano, on 2017-June-09, 13:28, said:

Agree 1000%. AKxx Axx x Kjxxx.

I see you thinking but where do you draw the line on the splinter bid? AQxx, AKx, x, Kxxxx?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-June-09, 20:53

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-June-09, 13:13, said:

Blame S, 4 is clearcut voidwood for me, 3 would be a splinter, xxxxx, xxx, xxx, Ax is a decent slam

Playing 3 splinter and 4 exclusion is like purchasing an F-16 for a fist fight in case you may need it one day! . You will not need it when 4 people are bidding and particularly when one of them cued? Come on Cyber, you know better than that! Posted Image

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-June-09, 15:25, said:

I see you thinking but where do you draw the line on the splinter bid? AQxx, AKx, x, Kxxxx?

This is not a splinter hand if you have only one splinter available.(perhaps borderline) If you play both 3 and 4 as different range splinters then you know pd can not hold this hand for his 4.

I think Wank and Arend hit the nail on this one, but I may as well be biased because I was the one who bid 4. It is easy when seeing pd has 5th and 6th . It is totally another story when he holds only 4 card and short clubs and I can easily construct hands where making 4 either needs a perfect tempo or has no play at all. 5 level can be nightmare and this is assuming you can stop at 5 level after 1 more move.

Txxx QJx Qxxx xx Do not expect more than this (value wise) when one of them bids and other one cues)

Thanks to all for the replies. I was expecting more people to blame me (South) than the replies here but I am sort of relieved by the replies Posted Image
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-10, 00:14

I stand corrected. However, there are bidding sequences that show voids, and bidding sequences that show singletons. As quite a few commentators have said, there are plenty of South hands where slam would be a no-go.

Blaming North entirely is (to me) unfair. If you're going to use splinters, use splinters to show a singleton specifically (which come up more times statistically than a void as everybody knows).

The suggestion I was going to write but thought better of it is that South bids 2 followed by 4 to show this rockcrusher with a void. The reason I didn't is that East/West's bidding is at best lacklustre, and at worse amateurish.

In a normal competitive auction, if South bids 2 will he be allowed to bid 4 if East/West bid properly? We shall never know.

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-June-10, 02:32

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-June-10, 00:14, said:

The suggestion I was going to write but thought better of it is that South bids 2 followed by 4 to show this rockcrusher with a void. The reason I didn't is that East/West's bidding is at best lacklustre, and at worse amateurish.

I have sympathy to starting 2 suhhestion but I do not see south hand as "rockcrusher" as you see. What makes NS hands so strong is

• 5th and 6th spade
  • AQ support
  • Void

For example

Axxx
AKx
--
Kxxxxx

is still a very decent slam. I like the idea of 3 showing single and 4 void BUT NOT void wood.

#18 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-June-10, 13:27

View PostMrAce, on 2017-June-10, 02:32, said:

I like the idea of 3 showing single and 4 void BUT NOT void wood.

We play mini-splinters, both in competition, and when opponents are silent. For us, 3 shows a raise to at least the 3-level, with a shortage (singleton or a void). Thus, in the 1st instance, the mini-splinter acts as a game-try but, later, might turn out to have been a slam try. . The mini-splinter opens up space for exploration. For.example, 3N by either of us is a serious slam try. If strong enough, we can repeat the cue-bid with 4, to show a void, rather than a singleon. This frees up a direct 4, which you might define as a void-spinter with a specific range. I confess that we use it as voidwood :)

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-June-10, 17:39

Out of curiosity I arranged a poll in BW for the S hand.

http://bridgewinners...m-2-kbpfg6g94x/

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users