BBO Discussion Forums: Bid after opponents open 4 Spades - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid after opponents open 4 Spades 2/1 ACBL

#21 User is offline   dave_beer 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-08, 20:11

I think it is close between PASS and DBL with the East hand but DBL is not for penalties in my style. I have a bad strong NT and the wrong number of . If I have a penalty double I just PASS and stay fixed.

If East doubled I could PASS hoping that we don't have a slam and that the penalty would be larger than our game. I have a better than expected hand but my values in are not working and if we need a finesse it is more likely than not going to fail. However, slam is still possible so I would bid 4NT asking partner to bid a suit but intending to convert 5 of either minor to 5. To me this suggests a good 5 bid giving partner a little leeway with a minimum hand.

If East passed I would also PASS with the West hand.

#22 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-02, 13:30

View Postmiamijd, on 2017-June-07, 15:58, said:

The way I play (which I think is the "standard" treatment nowadays) is that X is takeout and 4NT is two-suited (any two suits). If you have a strong hand with lots of spades, you end up having to pass (but honestly, how often will this happen). Of course, partner may pass the X of 4S for penalties even though it's a TO X, and he will most of the time.

Please could you explain further how the two-suited bid works?
Would you bid 4NT as East in this example?
What would West do if you did, and on what basis?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users