BBO Discussion Forums: Substitutes and TCR - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Substitutes and TCR Can BBO clarify the rules for TCR?

#1 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-05, 06:13

Yesterday, I knew that I might need to leave sooner than a tournament would end, so I signed up as a substitute. After playing a few hands, I did need to leave, but I expected no problem. BBO in the past said that substitutes would get TCR credit for playing parts of a tournament, but would not have a TCR penalty if they leave before the end of the tournament. That was one of the attractions that made being a substitute worth the aggravation of playing with frequently bad players. Today, my TCR is below 100% for the first time in many months. Since my substitute experience yesterday was the only time I did not complete every tournament I played in, it is clear that BBO does penalize the TCR for substitutes. Does BBO have a new policy to discourage people from being substitutes in tournaments?

What is the BBO policy on TCR for substitutes? How many hands, or what percentage, does a substitute need to play in a tournament to improve his TCR? What are the conditions that allow a substitute to leave without reducing his TCR?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-05, 08:31

I see two tournaments you played on Saturday (not yesterday) where you didn't play all the boards.

#3343 Pairs Jukebox - you played the last 2 boards, so you must have been a sub.

#4002 Ind. -=-G O U L A S H M A D N E S S-=- - you played the first 2 boards then withdrew. Is this the one you're talking about?

#3 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-05, 10:13

This is the second time that you have focused your attention on getting irrelevant information about me (and then broadcasting that useless information to all who read it). Wouldn't it be easier to answer simple questions than to search for and broadcast details about the person who asked the questions? If anyone in BBO will answer simple questions, here are mine:

1) Does BBO have a new policy to discourage people from being substitutes in tournaments?

2) What is the BBO policy on TCR for substitutes?

3) How many hands, or what percentage, does a substitute need to play in a tournament to improve his TCR?

4) What are the conditions that allow a substitute to leave without reducing his TCR?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-07, 09:12

View Postsilvr bull, on 2017-June-05, 10:13, said:

This is the second time that you have focused your attention on getting irrelevant information about me (and then broadcasting that useless information to all who read it). Wouldn't it be easier to answer simple questions than to search for and broadcast details about the person who asked the questions? If anyone in BBO will answer simple questions, here are mine:

It's not irrelevant information. I'm trying to understand what happened, so I can pass the details on to the appropriate programmer and find out why it didn't work as expected.

AFAIK, there have been no recent changes to the policy or code.

#5 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-27, 08:37

The quote below (from this link recently posted in a different thread) explains why my TCR was reduced when I had to leave a tournament I was a substitute in:

"Substitutes do not get penalized if they fail to complete a tournament due to being replaced by the tournament director" (my added emphasis)

It appears that the TCR is reduced if a substitute leaves for any other cause than replacement by the director. In my case, I tried to minimize the disruption to the other players by logging off from BBO immediately after I messaged the TD to tell him I had to leave. In an earlier chat exchange when I told a different TD that I wanted to leave, he told me to just go because he did not like quitters. I thought that logging off BBO would "encourage" the TD to find a substitute quicker than if I just asked him to do that. I learned, however, that BBO does not penalize substitutes who want to leave early ONLY if they stay in place but refuse to bid or play until the other players press the TD to replace the substitute.

The link above also says "but if they complete the tournament in which they are subbing, it counts as a plus for their TCR." Does that mean substituting into the final hand and finishing that hand improves a substitute's TCR? If playing only the last part of the final hand is not sufficient, then what (% of the tournament, or number of hands) does a substitute need to do to get TCR credit?

If BBO really means "Subbing is an excellent way to increase your TCR percentage.", then BBO should consider eliminating TCR penalties when a substitute leaves for any reason.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users