BBO Discussion Forums: Respond to 1M with 5+ support and 17+TCP? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Respond to 1M with 5+ support and 17+TCP? Bidding advice SAYC

#1 User is offline   rmcubed56 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-03, 04:09

Suppose under SAYC partner bids 1S in first seat.

I am in the unusual but happy position of having AKJxxx support, plus AKx clubs, xxx H, QD.

What do I bid? Clearly there is slam potential; clearly partner has points outside S. However the fear if I go straight to 4N is that partner also has xxx H.

If we were playing splinters the best bid would be 3D. However we weren't. I bid 3S in the end.

What would the best response be without the aid of a splinter bid?

(Happy ending: Partner showed an A in RKCB and I took the risk and bid 6S. Partner did have xxx H but luckily opponents did not lead S, so contract was made thanks to partner having AKx D. In retrospect cue bidding would have been better than RKCB but then I would have stopped at 5.)

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-03, 04:22

A Jacoby 2NT response showing 4+ support and an unlimited hand forcing to game looks best to me. It keeps the bidding low, both you and partner can cue bid and discover that aren't covered.

The hand is far too strong for a splinter in my opinion.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-June-03, 10:11

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-June-03, 04:22, said:

The hand is far too strong for a splinter in my opinion.

Yes too strong. Also 4 would be the splinter bid.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-June-03, 12:10

You've zeroed in on the key issue concerning a slam by noting your concern about partner's holding in . When moving toward slam depends on a specific control (), it almost always means you to need to cue bid which may allow partner to show if the control is present.

The best chance to get an opportunity to do that is by using a Jacoby 2 NT forcing game raise. Assuming standard responses to Jacoby, the only problem is that partner with a flat distribution minimum hand would bid 4 and you'd still have no clue about . Then you're sort of stuck playing 4 .

However, if partner finds any other response, you can initiate cueing to try to get information about . After you've agreed upon a suit in a game forcing auction, any new suit bid shows a control with slam interest and asks partner to show his/her controls by cueing also. But you do need to have some agreement on your cueing -- some folks play any A or K control, some As before Ks.

Of course, you might get really lucky and have partner rebid 3 showing shortness. Then you can directly move to RKCB as a control is present.

#5 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-03, 14:18

It's worth pointing out that your 3 bid was completely non-forcing, so definitely isn't an option here.

#6 User is offline   rmcubed56 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-08, 02:04

Just wanted to thank everyone for the high quality contributions. TBH although Jacoby 2NT is theoretically in my armoury I tend to forget about it maybe because it doesn't come up all that often. Great to have an example I definitely will remember to prompt me to make use of it!

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-08, 10:26

View Postrmcubed56, on 2017-June-08, 02:04, said:

Just wanted to thank everyone for the high quality contributions. TBH although Jacoby 2NT is theoretically in my armoury I tend to forget about it maybe because it doesn't come up all that often. Great to have an example I definitely will remember to prompt me to make use of it!

Much of my early learning came from disasters so big I would never forget and repeat the error. If you can bank this in your memory without the disaster you are well ahead of the game.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users