BBO Discussion Forums: The Four H Club - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Four H Club If adjustments were made, could the Precision 2D Complex be Replaced?

#21 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2017-June-05, 08:43

Sorry, double post. Connection problems.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#22 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-05, 09:34

View Post1Wishbone1, on 2017-June-03, 12:49, said:

1. This is very close to Original Wei. How are your Clubs handled? I assume your Program is successful...

2. It appears that the 1 NT opening is being modified in several ways by various Partnerships. Does this handle the Precision oddities?

Thanx,

CW

We have been playing Precision with natural 1D and 1NT 11-15. NT responses are Australian Stayman (to divide notrump range), Jacoby transfers, and Minor Suit Stayman. This has been working reasonably well for us.

#23 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2017-June-07, 00:11

I strongly believe in 1D show 4+ and 1S is 5+ or at least I want 3 bids that show 4+ suits at the one level not just 2.
I also believe that 1C opening should be forcing.
I also strongly believe that 2M should be natural weakish but fairly wide.
NV or in 4th seat I insist to play a weak NT.
If 1D is 4+ than there is no need to limit it to 16 pts (i prefer 11-21 even in a strong club system)

This for me is way more important than 1H showing 4+ or 5+ (ive played both) or what do you do with a 4414.

Where my view differ the most from most people is that i strongly believe that there is no need to open light if you dont show a real suits that partner can raise easily. I even think its a costly mistake.

I send a thanks you card to all my opponents who open 1D (2+ or worse) with 10-12 bal.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#24 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-07, 23:15

Meckwell opens with 2+Ds(and also rarely with a singleton king/ace)

and they open 1D with hands with a balanced 10-13HCP range.

#25 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-07, 23:24

The Mecklite bidders use 1N as 14=16 and I like to use that range to reduce problem hands.

I also follow the Meckwell style 1C*-1D-1N=17-18.

Meckwell open 2N with 19-20, however, I like to be able

to play 1N with 19-20 if a partsc.ore is the limit.

1C*-1D-1H*(Kokish style, either 19-20 balanced or Hearts and another suit.

A 1N rebid is 19-20 and any suit bid shows the heart 'plus another suit' type hand

#26 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-07, 23:51

The 1D opening with 11-21 seems quite reasonable since 1C*

and rebids with Ds are sometimes problem hands.

Precision in the 90s suggested opener using transfers for minor suit rebids.

1C*-1D-1N* showing clubs with ...1N-2C* showing @0-5.

1C*-1D-2C*s showing diamonds also followed the same style ...2C*-2D* shows 5+Hs with @6-7 dummy points

NT hands bid 1C*-1D-1H*-1S*(semi forced)-1N to show 17-19.

If you like this style, it allows 1C*-1D-2D* to show strong 4441 shapes.

I looked at numerous PC generated examples and found that a range of 19+ allowed very accurate bidding.

Hands with @16-18, rebid with a 4 card major using Meckwell style bids over 1C-1D-1S-?

...1S-1N*=0-5, ...1S-2C* is 0-2Ss and 6-7HCP, ...1S-2D*s shows 5+Hs @6-7HCP,

1S-2H* is a 3 card spade raise @6-7 dummy points and ...1S-2S is 4 trumps 6-7 dummy points.

Opener is not going to pass 1C*-1D-1S-1N since he has an unbalanced hand to rebid 1S

#27 User is offline   1Wishbone1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-25, 09:24

Hello everyone --

I want to continue the Topic for a moment. I began Mapping responses for Major Openings and an interesting problem appeared:

Assume:

1 Spade: 11 - 15 HCPs, 5+ Spades.
1 Heart: 11 - 15 HCPs, 4+ Hearts (Hopefully a Strong 4 Hearts...)

What would be the most advantageous responses for basic support?

Hearts first : Accepting Glen Ashton's Analysis for a moment (See Reference article in first Post for this Thread):

"One of the worst big club/five card major sequences is 1H-2H uncontested so far: 2H announces at least a 5-3 heart fit, which implies the opponents have a fit too, and since both 1H and 2H are limited, the bidding tells the opponents they have some values to bid."

Our first choice is to consider 1 H - 2 H for offensive purposes. *IF* opening one Heart only promise 4, then raising to 2 Hearts on 3 support only guarantees a Moysian 4 - 3 Fit: "We may or may not have much but we have have some points and at least a 7 card fit. Wha'chu got?" Opener takes control here if he opened Hearts with 5 and has some more Values.

What if 1 Heart - 2 Hearts promises 4 support? On the modern assumption that you get in to Bid early and get out quick, 1 Heart - 2 Hearts states, "We may not have much but we do have some points and a 4 - 4 fit, maybe more". Notice the usual 1 Heart - 1 NT (Forcing) machinery still applies, implying that Responder rebids Hearts to show 3.

Spades: The Leading Role of Suits is Spades and the machinery for this Leading Role should be featured. On 1 Spade - 2 Spades, should support show 3 or 4? If 4, then Partnership shouts to the world, "We have 9 or more Trump AND Points. Aren't we SPECIAL?" 1 Spade - 1 NT forcing allows ummm...Exploration with greater ease and the usual Bells and Whistles apply.

What if 1 Spade - 2 Spades shows 3 support? "We have points and 8 spades and you can come in at 2 NT or the 3 level. Nyah, nyah!"

The purpose of the exercise is to examine whether treating Spades and Hearts with different Sets of Responses would give a slight advantage to a Partnership - for ex. 1 Heart - 2 Hearts shows 4 support while 1 Spade - 2 Spades might show 3 support.

What say Ye?

CW

#28 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-25, 22:57

View Post1Wishbone1, on 2017-June-25, 09:24, said:

1 Spade: 11 - 15 HCPs, 5+ Spades.
1 Heart: 11 - 15 HCPs, 4+ Hearts (Hopefully a Strong 4 Hearts...)

Which balanced hands are included within each opening? This is a critical factor when it comes to designing a raise structure. A good source for basic background material here is Partnership Bidding at Bridge by Robson and Segal. This is available online for free.
(-: Zel :-)

#29 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-26, 00:25

I do not think it is a good idea to play a forcing NT vs a potentially balanced four card opening; 1NT is often the right spot. When playing limited openings I think it is a good idea to raise a potential four card suit with three card support, unless responder have a flat hand. I guess it all depends on how aggressive you want to be.

I like playing constructive major suit raises myself, so that 1M-2M show three card support (or perhaps four with a flat hand) with 8-11 hcp (perhaps 9-12 if you open light). With a weaker raise, you respond 1NT and hope opener doesn't pass. Another alternative could be the "three way 2C" response: 1M-2C showing a balanced GF, or GF with clubs, or a limit raise with 3 card support.

For a complete structure of major suit raises, playing four card majors, you could have a look at "Major suit raises, the Scanian way" by Mats Nilsland.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users