• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weak NT openings 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-29, 17:52

I believe that in ACBL it is illegal to open 1NT with 9 Pts.
This is for pairs that play a 10-12 pt NT or maybe 10-13 NT.

Am I correct?
Illegal as opposed to being a psych.
I believe that playing strong 15-17 NT it would be a psych.

If so what are the ramifications of bidding a 9 pt NT?

Thank you

#2 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-29, 19:36

It is not illegal to open a 9 point 1NT. It is illegal to have an agreement to open a 9 point 1NT, if you play any conventions after that bid. There is one problem: in practice, I believe, most if not all ACBL directors will rule that you have such an illegal agreement if you ever open 1NT with 9 HCP. Personally, I think that such a ruling would itself be illegal, but you can't argue with the five hundred pound canary.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-May-29, 20:34

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-May-29, 19:36, said:

It is not illegal to open a 9 point 1NT. It is illegal to have an agreement to open a 9 point 1NT, if you play any conventions after that bid. There is one problem: in practice, I believe, most if not all ACBL directors will rule that you have such an illegal agreement if you ever open 1NT with 9 HCP. Personally, I think that such a ruling would itself be illegal, but you can't argue with the five hundred pound canary.

Such regulations should be dropped. If we must suffer them then let them stipulate that such openings are illegal, even when psychic. Allowing a player to make such a bid "without agreement", creates problems when he claims he "psyched". This is especially the case when opportunities for the banned agreement are rare. The frustration of ACBL directors is easy to understand.

#4 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-May-29, 21:11

I would much rather see the regulation be that you cannot agree to open 1NT with a lower limit below 10 HCP, but that you can use judgement to upgrade a good nine count. I don't like regulations that prohibit a player from using his judgement.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-May-30, 03:32

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-May-29, 21:11, said:

I would much rather see the regulation be that you cannot agree to open 1NT with a lower limit below 10 HCP, but that you can use judgement to upgrade a good nine count. I don't like regulations that prohibit a player from using his judgement.

Cue rather a lot of comments about ER25 hands and the EBU Blue Book!

If you can upgrade a 9-point hand to a 10-point hand, then can you upgrade an 8-point hand?

J432
Q432
A2
K32

Vs

QJT9
QJT9
QT9
T9
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-30, 04:16

I think that what this rigid type of regulation does, ultimately, is prevent accurate disclosure.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-May-30, 04:18

Regulations are over-sophisticated, little known, and poorly understood. The rules are daft enough already, without the complication of "upgrades" and unnecesary "judgement". Unmodified HCP is a crude measure but, for legal purposes, has the merit of simplicity.

If we must have system-regulations, rule-makers should ensure that directors can enforce them impartially and consistently.

Otherwise controversies are inevitable. For example recent fudges over substandard third-in-hand openers.

#8 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2017-May-30, 06:02

View Postnige1, on 2017-May-30, 04:18, said:

Regulations are over-sophisticated, little known, and poorly understood. The rules are daft enough already, without the complication of "upgrades" and unnecesary "judgement". Unmodified HCP is a crude measure but, for legal purposes, has the merit of simplicity.

If we must have system-regulations, rule-makers should ensure that directors can enforce them impartially and consistently.

Otherwise controversies are inevitable. For example recent fudges over substandard third-in-hand openers.

Agreed!

#9 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-May-30, 08:20

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-May-30, 03:32, said:

Cue rather a lot of comments about ER25 hands and the EBU Blue Book!

If you can upgrade a 9-point hand to a 10-point hand, then can you upgrade an 8-point hand?

J432
Q432
A2
K32

Vs

QJT9
QJT9
QT9
T9

I think there's a difference between "this hand is upgradeable" and "I can bid whatever I want". That 8 point hand looks like an 8 point hand to me. Certainly not 10. But I suppose if a jury of my peers (or yours, or anybody's) thinks it's upgradeable to 10, so be it.
--------------------

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-30, 09:29

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-May-30, 08:20, said:

I think there's a difference between "this hand is upgradeable" and "I can bid whatever I want". That 8 point hand looks like an 8 point hand to me. Certainly not 10. But I suppose if a jury of my peers (or yours, or anybody's) thinks it's upgradeable to 10, so be it.

If you are using Banzai points, the first hand comes out at 13 and the second is 17. They may not be your kettle of fish, nor mine, but it seems a little unfair to prohibit someone else from using their own evaluation judgement just because it is different from the mainstream.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2017-May-30, 09:39

View PostVampyr, on 2017-May-30, 04:16, said:

I think that what this rigid type of regulation does, ultimately, is prevent accurate disclosure.

Yes. But I will keep flogging the dead horse: It should be made clear that the intention of the regulation is to ban anything lighter than 11 points - and then you are allowed to use judgement and therefore we condone anything that is 10 Walrus points and upwards.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#12 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-30, 11:33

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-May-29, 21:11, said:

What about

a) an exceptional 8 count.
b) a fabulous 7 count.
c) an extraordinary 6 count
d) a once in a lifetime 5 count
e) you can't believe this 4 count

#13 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-May-30, 17:16

The first one, maybe. IMO the other four don't exist.
--------------------

#14 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-30, 18:22

View Postjohnu, on 2017-May-30, 11:33, said:

What about

a) an exceptional 8 count.
b) a fabulous 7 count.
c) an extraordinary 6 count
d) a once in a lifetime 5 count
e) you can't believe this 4 count

In order to warrant a massive upgrade to 10, the 4-7 counts must be so shapely (e.g. Q1098xxx Q1098xx - -) that they no longer open 1NT, so no problem.

Perhaps for simplicity, if they don't want people opening 1NT on less than 10 then the rules should say as much. No upgrades, no judgement allowed. I guess this still doesn't solve the problem of (supposed) psychic bids, but I think it otherwise might be a reasonable approach for setting the lower limit of 1-level openings.

ahydra

#15 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-31, 00:13

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-May-30, 17:16, said:

The first one, maybe. IMO the other four don't exist.

Suppose you are playing a 10-12 1NT which is ACBL legal. For some people, a 12 HCP is always really good, so too good for 1NT. And probably also upgrade most 11's. So now, in effect, you are playing 8-10 1NT. Perfectly legal? B-)

#16 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-31, 00:21

View Postahydra, on 2017-May-30, 18:22, said:

In order to warrant a massive upgrade to 10, the 4-7 counts must be so shapely (e.g. Q1098xxx Q1098xx - -) that they no longer open 1NT, so no problem.

Perhaps for simplicity, if they don't want people opening 1NT on less than 10 then the rules should say as much. No upgrades, no judgement allowed. I guess this still doesn't solve the problem of (supposed) psychic bids, but I think it otherwise might be a reasonable approach for setting the lower limit of 1-level openings.

ahydra

If you can leave it to judgement, how can you say

J109
J109
J10987
J10

doesn't qualify for a big upgrade according to the rules? Certainly not much worse than allowing 2 openings on weakish preemptive hands because the bidder thinks the hand is strong.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-May-31, 08:25

View Postahydra, on 2017-May-30, 18:22, said:

The general problem is that it's hard to make it consistent if they write rigid rules.

They don't mind 15-17 players upgrading 14 counts (it's "just bridge"), but they don't want 10-12 players upgrading 9 counts (I assume the rationale is that mini-NT is already hard enough for opponents to deal with, they want to limit the damage).

#18 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-May-31, 11:20

View Postjohnu, on 2017-May-31, 00:13, said:

Suppose you are playing a 10-12 1NT which is ACBL legal. For some people, a 12 HCP is always really good, so too good for 1NT. And probably also upgrade most 11's. So now, in effect, you are playing 8-10 1NT. Perfectly legal? B-)

If you are upgrading all twelves and most elevens you are not playing a 10-12 NT. Similarly if you are upgrading all nines and most eights. Currently an 8-10 1NT is not legal. I think it should be.
--------------------

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-May-31, 16:13

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-May-31, 11:20, said:

If you are upgrading all twelves and most elevens you are not playing a 10-12 NT. Similarly if you are upgrading all nines and most eights. Currently an 8-10 1NT is not legal. I think it should be.

Just to reiterate -- 8-10 1NT is legal. You're just not allowed to play any conventional responses to it.

This is a holdover from the 1997 Laws, which only permitted RAs to regulate conventions, not natural calls. So ACBL couldn't prohibit any natural NT bids, but they could prohibit artificial responses like Stayman in the context of certain NT bids. They could have changed GCC to prohibit the ultra-weak 1NT under the 2007 Laws, but they didn't -- they're still using the old strategy that allows it but makes it unplayable.

#20 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-31, 17:40

View Postbarmar, on 2017-May-31, 16:13, said:

Just to reiterate -- 8-10 1NT is legal. You're just not allowed to play any conventional responses to it.

But conventional methods over _opponents_ conventions are still legal, right?

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users