BBO Discussion Forums: I want to play bridge, not think about how to solve user-interface issues - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I want to play bridge, not think about how to solve user-interface issues

#1 User is offline   humboldt2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-May-27, 15:38

I've already made a request (and reinforced it with my reply) to immediately remove the profile from the screen after I remove my cursor from someone's profile. I use a touchpad since I find it the most comfortable for my carpal tunnel wrist condition. Moving the cursor over prospective partner's and opponent's profiles is one of the most frequent actions I use on BBO. BBO does not make it easy to find compatible partners (see suggestion below), so I find myself having to check user's profiles many times each session, especially when I play in the Main Room. The admin responded to my request by saying "Just click the close button in the top right corner of the profile and it will go away immediately." My objection to that "solution" is twofold:
1. It is more difficult for someone with carpal tunnel to move the cursor exactly to the place on the screen where the x is in the top right corner of the profile, then click that x.
2. It takes away from the joy of playing bridge on BBO. It is far easier to move the cursor to somewhere else on the screen and have the profile disappear immediately. Moving the cursor is intuitively obvious and can be done without thinking about the action, unlike clicking on an x in a specific area of the screen. I want to play bridge, not think about how to solve a user-interface issue.

I noticed that someone else requested the ability to see kibitzers at their table. It's my opinion that the admin's response of "Click on Who's Online, then select the Kibitzers tab" was similarly a workaround that ignores the wishes of those who just want to play bridge, not think about how to solve a user-interface issue. It would be far more intuitively obvious to move the cursor over the table icon to view the kibitzers just like you could in the old Windows version.

Finally I have a request that would make it incredibly easier to find a compatible partner. I would like to see 2 things in addition to someone's user name.
1. The most important would be the system that they play. I request that BBO players have the option of selecting their systems (2/1, SAYC, SEF, Strong Club, ACOL, other) similar to the way they can state their level of play. It would be extremely useful to have the system(s) display alongside the user name. Someone playing "other" could fill out a box stating the system that they play. That also could be displayed alongside their user name.
2. Of secondary importance would be the level of play (World Class, Expert, etc). If both system and level of play were displayed alongside user name, this would dramatically cut down on the number of profiles one has to check before finding a compatible partner.

[/font]

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-May-29, 14:53

View Posthumboldt2, on 2017-May-27, 15:38, said:

2. Of secondary importance would be the level of play (World Class, Expert, etc). If both system and level of play were displayed alongside user name, this would dramatically cut down on the number of profiles one has to check before finding a compatible partner.

Everyone knows these self-assigned levels are mostly meaningless.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users