• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How high to show support here?

#1 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-26, 06:35

MPs, all vuln, playing 2/1, you pick up this fine collection of intermediates:

What is your call? [Your opps are good, but the room is a whole is a bit of an ordinary standard, if that makes a difference].

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-May-26, 06:56

Pass as quick as a flash. If partner cannot make another squeak over 2, you certainly don't want to be playing at the 3 or 4 level in s vulnerable with this balanced trash Law of Total Tricks or not. You have the anchor suit s so see what happens is infinitely preferable than deceiving partner that you have some values.

#3 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-26, 07:17

Hi,

I guess I would go with 2S, although pass may well be best.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-26, 07:20

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-May-26, 06:56, said:

Pass as quick as a flash. If partner cannot make another squeak over 2, you certainly don't want to be playing at the 3 or 4 level in s vulnerable with this balanced trash Law of Total Tricks or not. You have the anchor suit s so see what happens is infinitely preferable than deceiving partner that you have some values.

If pard can't make a squeak over 2 then being allowed to play in 3 or 4 sounds great. 3 or 4X sounds less great, which is sort of what my comment on the strength of the room alludes to.

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-26, 07:58

3 or pass is the choice for me.

3 if I had a stiff somewhere but I'm passing with this trash
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-26, 08:12

View Postel mister, on 2017-May-26, 07:20, said:

If pard can't make a squeak over 2 then being allowed to play in 3 or 4 sounds great. 3 or 4X sounds less great, which is sort of what my comment on the strength of the room alludes to.

The main problem here (as we are all aware) is that you are unpassed hand as South. A regular partnership will have clear parameters what 3 or 4 or 3 show. I, for one, will always knock off a trick under LOTT when vulnerable (especially against NV) and balanced.

One of Marlowe's suggestions of perhaps bidding 2 is all well and good except many partnerships play that as 8-11, 3 card support and constructive.

Personally I try not to take into consideration how good the opponents or the room are: what really matters is how your partner interprets your bid.

#7 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-26, 08:22

I remember a poker version called "Pass the trash!" I hope I can bid later, but I must pass first with this so partner does not imagine I have a great hand.

#8 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2017-May-26, 08:29

2 spades we have 5 of them!!!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#9 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-26, 08:36

View Postsilvr bull, on 2017-May-26, 08:22, said:

I remember a poker version called "Pass the trash!" I hope I can bid later, but I must pass first with this so partner does not imagine I have a great hand.

3 would be weak and preemptive here for us, showing 4 or 5+. Pard's not taking you for much in the way of values with that bid, although he may expect more than a 5-3-2-3 yarb, admittedly. This is actually what I bid, and was wondering what the consensus view was.

#10 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-26, 08:40

View Postel mister, on 2017-May-26, 08:36, said:

3 would be weak and preemptive here for us, showing 4 or 5+. Pard's not taking you for much in the way of values with that bid, although he may expect more than a 5-3-2-3 yarb, admittedly. This is actually what I bid, and was wondering what the consensus view was.

3S looks like the bid - I don't have enough values for 2S and don't have enough shape for 4S. If they can make game, let's make it difficult for them to find it. If they can't let's take our best guess in the part score.

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-26, 08:45

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-May-26, 08:12, said:

One of Marlowe's suggestions of perhaps bidding 2 is all well and good except many partnerships play that as 8-11, 3 card support and constructive.

I doubt they play this in competition.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-26, 09:14

I've played with partners who expect pass, 2S and 3S with this sort of hand. It all depends on which of them is sitting opposite. With a pickup partner, I guess I would probably pass this balanced trash on the grounds that it is least likely to get me into trouble.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#13 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-27, 02:02

3 looks right to me. Partner should know this can be tram tickets because I have 3 available to show values and support. If I were white it would be 4

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-27, 02:08

3 for me too.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-May-27, 04:51

I shall PASS.The hand is nothing but tram tickets.No HCP,no ruffing values.I can't provide even a solitary defensive trick.All these mean a normal pass without pause or hesitation.

#16 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-27, 05:47

The idea of passing just does not make much sense to me. How can you justify passing and letting the enemy have a free run? Lets play that a jump raise is weak and bid 3S, it's logical.

#17 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-27, 05:54

After intervention with a fit in partners major always support if you can. Holding 10 LTC (11 - 1 for extra trump) I would bid 2 (on agreement showing a fit with 9-10 LTC) and leave any other action (if needed) to my partner.

Raising to 3 or even 4 depends on agreed supporting style with your partner. Passing just gives opponents a extra level to show the strength of their hand.

Another good agreement is that first passing and then support shows defending values and interest to double opponents.

#18 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-27, 06:01

View Postel mister, on 2017-May-26, 06:35, said:

MPs, all vuln, playing 2/1, you pick up this fine collection of intermediates:

What is your call? [Your opps are good, but the room is a whole is a bit of an ordinary standard, if that makes a difference].

I would pass, planning to bid 's up to the 4 level if necessary. One of the opps is a passed hand, and the other made an overcall, not a T.O. double. We have at least 10 spades between us, so the overcaller must be short in spades. Where are the hcp?

#19 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-27, 08:11

View Postmcphee, on 2017-May-27, 05:47, said:

The idea of passing just does not make much sense to me. How can you justify passing and letting the enemy have a free run? Lets play that a jump raise is weak and bid 3S, it's logical.

I agree that 3 at this vulnerability, as long as partner undertstands it is a very weak bid is acceptable using LOTT, but there is no logic to it, in totality.

There are plenty of instances where using LOTT doesn't work out well. But as most bridge players use LOTT whatever the circumstances, 3 will be the right bid. But it doesn't guarantee it will be the most successful action given the whole hand. It could well bounce the opponents into a makeable game, for example. And then what? Partner sacrificing at the five level? Yuk!

#20 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-27, 08:12

View Postggwhiz, on 2017-May-26, 07:58, said:

3 or pass is the choice for me.

3 if I had a stiff somewhere but I'm passing with this trash

I will co-sign ggwhiz with backup from the ACBL.

1st -- your team has 10 secured trump in the boss ♠ suit. This means your opposition are sharing 3♠ cards. You already know your team's trump fit while the opposition must scramble to find theirs. While your team may not have game values, you need to block the opposition from looking for any fits they may have in major or minor suits. A bid of 3♠ will accomplish this.

A bid of 3♠ over 2♦ can be a weak or intermediate raise per ACBL so your partner should exercise discretion if he holds a minimum or medium strength hand.

See link below where the ACBL shows 1♥-2♣-3♥ to be a weak or intermediate raise:

http://www.acbl.org/...or-suit-raises/

Now, you can also call "pass" as ggwhiz says, and that is not a "wrong" call either since you have 0 HCP ==> "bust" hand with ample trump support. However, if you call "pass" in this auction, that doesn't come for free. You implicitly give permission for the opposition to explore a heart fit or minor fit or even an NT contract (which could very well lead to game bids).

So, 3♠ or "PASS" depending on your strategy and risk appetite.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users