BBO Discussion Forums: Odd Results in People vs. People tournaments - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Odd Results in People vs. People tournaments

#1 User is offline   zdas04 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-May-25, 10:43

I'm new to BBO, and have only played two tournaments where my partner was a person. I understand that every four hands the pairs change. Yesterday on the last hand of two of the three rounds one person bid REALLY slowly and got to an impossible contract (7C in one contract missing the AK of clubs). Then they played REALLY slowly and the round timed out. The hand showed up as an average for a few seconds and then there was a message that the director had changed it to making the contract. Both times. Does anyone have any idea why that happened and how to protest/stop it? If you don't finish it should be an average, right?

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-25, 11:09

Ideally the director would view the hand, make a judgment, and assign a fair result. In your case, 7-2. But in practice I suspect they are too busy, or simply too lazy to bother.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2017-May-25, 12:06

In paid tournaments, like ACBL speedballs, Directors are doing the job and assigning what needs to be assign. Sometimes they made mistakes (rarely) and you need to chat TD asking to review the adjustment.

In free tournaments could be everything.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-May-25, 14:36

You can review the hand by clicking My BBO, then Hands and Results. Find the tournament and the hand and check whether it was adjusted wrongly.

I can only see one 7C adjusted in your recent hands and it was making, there was no AK missing.

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-25, 16:03

misclicks happen to directors too.

Ask the director to review board #? and you will usually get a correction or an explanation but in ACBL games especially you may need to be patient as the traffic for them can get quite heavy.

If you highlight the hand, arrow through the play until it stops and hit the GIB button it will give clues (not foolproof) on what might happen and is actually a good exercise for your judgment on possible outcomes and how to approach the middle plays of some hands as a player. And if you find time to do that while playing it will stop you from calling for an adjustment when you just missed something.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   zdas04 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-May-26, 13:26

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-May-25, 14:36, said:

You can review the hand by clicking My BBO, then Hands and Results. Find the tournament and the hand and check whether it was adjusted wrongly.

I can only see one 7C adjusted in your recent hands and it was making, there was no AK missing.

I thought when the hand flashed, my partner had the AK, but it do go very fast. I just don't understand how an unfinished hand gets scored other than average.

#7 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-27, 07:52

In face to face tourneys you would be allowed to finish the board. BBO works different when the tourney is clocked. Giving average for a board that is nearly done is worse than adjusting especially when players start to play very slow or stop completely when they see they might get a bad result. How good or bad the adjustment will be depends on the TD on duty. When the TD made an error simply ask him politely to check the result.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-27, 08:58

View Postscarletv, on 2017-May-27, 07:52, said:

In face to face tourneys you would be allowed to finish the board.

But you might get a board taken away the next round and score A- on that one.

It can't be right that you get to a tricky contract and get the double-dummy result if you choose not to finish playing it.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-27, 09:55

View PostVampyr, on 2017-May-27, 08:58, said:

But you might get a board taken away the next round and score A- on that one.

It can't be right that you get to a tricky contract and get the double-dummy result if you choose not to finish playing it.

With the BBO restrictions it is not possible to apply the rules. As host or TD you are limited by the system and simply trying to make the best out of it. Adjusting boards does not mean to adjust any unfinished board and no one proposed to simply copy the double-dummy results.

When a board is not completed normally just two slow players met at a table. But of course players can try to take advantage by deliberate slow play. Some avoid a decision hoping for a lucky adjustment but what I see more often are players simply not continuing when they are in a bad contract and going down for a number. Players should call the TD early when they see abnormal slow play.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users