• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Timing of cross ruffs Watch it go

#1 User is offline   uttam 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-May-23, 00:21

http://tinyurl.com/myesr9q

The above link showcases the diligence in the hand played. Would to hear your feedback.

22nd - May - 2017

#2 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-23, 02:39

Deleted -garbage.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-23, 02:53

Deleted due to the quote I used is deleted.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-23, 06:28

The defense is very tough after the trump lead, but there is one.

Rainer Herrmann

#5 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-May-23, 10:13

100% South - A then 6 trick 2
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-May-23, 11:45

View Postrhm, on 2017-May-23, 06:28, said:

The defense is very tough after the trump lead, but there is one.

According to GIB, to defeat 3 by West, on a trump lead:

- South rises with A and returns his small
- When North wins a , he returns a small

#7 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-24, 06:25

The lead was correct and revealed the trump distribution and south should take the ace and return . South didn't but got a second chance and should overtake the ten of and play twice and set 3.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-May-24, 07:37

View PostSteveMoe, on 2017-May-23, 10:13, said:

100% South - A then 6 trick 2

View Postaawk, on 2017-May-24, 06:25, said:

The lead was correct and revealed the trump distribution and south should take the ace and return . South didn't but got a second chance and should overtake the ten of and play twice and set 3.

If you are writing in 'expert forum' in a blame assessment tone, I expect you two at least be aware of what is going on when 4 hands are open.
You two are blaming south for something that you two can not even see when all 4 hands open. Way to go BBF!
Well I've got news for both of you;
  • It is not obvious or not even a good defense to play A and another diamond if declarer has different hand.
  • Even with the OP hand A and diamond continuation does not help defense. (read Nige1's comment) It requires to take A and switch to small from Jx.(i am pretty confident that you both would find it at the table)
  • And no, south did not get a second chance. Overtaking spade and playing diamonds will not set 3.

"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-24, 11:49

View PostMrAce, on 2017-May-24, 07:37, said:

If you are writing in 'expert forum' in a blame assessment tone, I expect you two at least be aware of what is going on when 4 hands are open.
You two are blaming south for something that you two can not even see when all 4 hands open. Way to go BBF!
  • It is not obvious or not even a good defense to play A and another diamond if declarer has different hand.
  • Even with the OP hand A and diamond continuation does not help defense. (read Nige1's comment) It requires to take A and switch to small from Jx.(i am pretty confident that you both would find it at the table)
  • And no, south did not get a second chance. Overtaking spade and playing diamonds will not set 3.

I don't get why my comment was blame assessment but if it makes you happy to blame my comment go right ahead.

A trump lead against a doubled part score is recommended and if the trumps are 4441 distributed drawing trump as defence is obvious the best action whatever holdings your partner or opponents got.

And overtaking the ten of followed by A of and J of still sets 3.

#10 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-24, 12:40

View Postaawk, on 2017-May-24, 11:49, said:

A trump lead against a doubled part score is recommended and if the trumps are 4441 distributed drawing trump as defence is obvious the best action whatever holdings your partner or opponents got.

"drawing trump as defence is obvious the best action whatever holdings your partner or opponents got."

It could be the best action but every single time?

Are you sure about that? Did you notice the lack of spade spots?

#11 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-24, 12:50

Learn to use GIB. 3d can still be made on your suggested defense.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#12 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-May-24, 16:02

View PostMrAce, on 2017-May-24, 07:37, said:

No doubt it's much easier to lambaste posters when you depend on double dummy analysis for a specific 52 card layout. Your criticism misses the point. Why don't you consider only South and East hands and justify why a shift to a low is the odds on play knowing only those cards? Yeah, I thought so. You are resulting and you don't even know it.

Thanks to rhm and Nige1 for their collaborative responses.

While playing 3 rounds of from the South hand doesn't work here, it seems much better than trying to take 2 trump tricks by ducking. The major suit spots are unknown at the time South has to choose what to do.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#13 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-24, 20:30

View PostSteveMoe, on 2017-May-24, 16:02, said:

While playing 3 rounds of from the South hand doesn't work here,

So, why does South get 100% of the blame if that defense doesn't work?

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-May-25, 02:01

At double-dummy, GIB demonstrates that rhm's switch is right. Nevertheless, I agree with SteveMoe, that from South's point of view the most promising defence might be to persist with s.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-May-25, 02:12

No doubt it's much easier to lambaste posters when you depend on double dummy analysis for a specific 52 card layout. Your criticism misses the point.

Steve, when you find yourself in a ditch, stop digging it. From your replies to declarer play and defense hands it does not require a rocket scientist to notice that it is not your strongest part of your game, which is fine and I do not really care much. But when you start commenting in expert forum and blame a player, not only blame but assign unfairly 100% of the blame, in a hand that you can not even see the winning defense 4 hands open... then sorry man... there is a limit of BS that one can remain silent about.
If you have such intolerance to the action south took and not finding the DD defense at T1 when he can not see all 4 hands, you should not complain about others, such as myself, for criticizing your inaccurate comments despite seeing all hands and your unfair blame assignment.

Why don't you consider only South and East hands and justify why a shift to a low is the odds on play knowing only those cards? Yeah, I thought so.

LOL! I never said south should play small at T2! I never defended this idea. All I said was "it requires to play A and then switch to small at T2 to defeat 3" So even seeing 52 cards, I did not suggest or imply that this defend should be found. Could someone else find it? Perhaps, but not me. Not without seeing all 4 hands.

You are resulting and you don't even know it.

It is hilarious when someone reads the topic title which says "Timing of cross ruffs" and then clicks the GIB button and see only card that defeats the 3 is if south plays the A at T1 and then comments inaccurately " %100 South, A and then 6" ends up calling others "resulting". This is exactly why i told you to stop digging because writing something stupid is something, getting emotional about it and trying to defend is much worse.

In order for one to be resulting, one should be suggesting a line of defense or declarer play, blame/support for an action or auction and most importantly one should be saying things that leads to good result. Guess who did it? I did not do any of these things. I would not even comment if you just found south guilty for not playing the A of , but 100%? Really? And I am resulting? GTFOH!

Thanks to rhm and Nige1 for their collaborative responses.

Indeed! Let's see what they said!

"The defense is very tough after the trump lead, but there is one." - Rainer : This comment not only did not blame south for the defense he made but also states that there is a winning defense but it is very hard to find. He specifically mentions that the defense is so hard after the trump lead!.(which is totally the opposite of everything you said in this topic) Which part of those comments, if any, have you found close to your assessing the blame 100% to south?

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-May-25, 02:28

I don't get why my comment was blame assessment but if it makes you happy to blame my comment go right ahead.

Fair enough. That was for Steve, it is my bad that I did not make it clear in my reply so you have a valid point.

Nope. Check it again and you will see.

#17 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-May-25, 05:02

I might not have commented on here recently, but I certainly look at the forums on a regular basis. First of all thank you uttam for posting an interesting hand, and well done for making the contract. Looking at all four hands obviously makes it easier to analyse. I have a suggestion. If South ducks the trump lead playing the 6 at trick one, I have a feeling that it goes down. I haven't got time to analyse all variations, but if I am proved right, it's the sort of defence that the late, great Hugh Kelsey wrote about in his books.

#18 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-25, 12:55

Nope. Check it again and you will see.
[/quote]

After overtaking T of the defence draw 3 times trump (being 2 tricks for EW) west will make A of and trump another (2 tricks), A and K of and trump a (3 tricks).

To me that makes 8 tricks for the leader. So to quote you : check it and you will see.

#19 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-25, 14:14

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-May-25, 05:02, said:

I might not have commented on here recently, but I certainly look at the forums on a regular basis. First of all thank you uttam for posting an interesting hand, and well done for making the contract. Looking at all four hands obviously makes it easier to analyse. I have a suggestion. If South ducks the trump lead playing the 6 at trick one, I have a feeling that it goes down. I haven't got time to analyse all variations, but if I am proved right, it's the sort of defence that the late, great Hugh Kelsey wrote about in his books.

It changes the timing but not the double dummy result.

#20 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-25, 14:23

View Postaawk, on 2017-May-25, 12:55, said:

After overtaking T of the defence draw 3 times trump (being 2 tricks for EW) west will make A of and trump another (2 tricks), A and K of and trump a (3 tricks).

To me that makes 8 tricks for the leader.

If you win A and lead diamonds 2 more times by crashing partner's 10, you will only score 1 diamond trick. Declarer will take 2 spades with a spade finesse, AK, A, 3 diamonds, and a club ruff for 9 tricks.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users