• You cannot reply to this topic

Timing of cross ruffs Watch it go

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-25, 15:20

View Postaawk, on 2017-May-25, 12:55, said:

After overtaking T of the defence draw 3 times trump (being 2 tricks for EW) west will make A of and trump another (2 tricks), A and K of and trump a (3 tricks).

To me that makes 8 tricks for the leader. So to quote you : check it and you will see.

I thought it would be insulting to count his tricks for someone else in an expert forum and mentioning what he said is wrong would be enough and assumed wrongly that you could see. I will not continue on debating in expert forum with someone who can not count the tricks. Let alone counting the tricks who can not count it when 4 hands are open. Forget about not being able to count despite seeing 4 hands, who can not even understand AFTER someone else warns him and shows him. That makes 3 strikes in a row. You are in the wrong forum. Sorry!

View Postjohnu, on 2017-May-25, 14:23, said:

If you win A and lead diamonds 2 more times by crashing partner's 10, you will only score 1 diamond trick. Declarer will take 2 spades with a spade finesse, AK, A, 3 diamonds, and a club ruff for 9 tricks.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-25, 18:11

View Postaawk, on 2017-May-25, 12:55, said:

Nope. Check it again and you will see.

After overtaking T of the defence draw 3 times trump (being 2 tricks for EW) west will make A of and trump another (2 tricks), A and K of and trump a (3 tricks).

To me that makes 8 tricks for the leader. So to quote you : check it and you will see.

Aye yai yai.

Technically, that's 7 tricks for declarer. But who's counting? You are missing the fact that he can score two spades in addition to these for a total of nine.

Do you know how to use the movie and select play to control the play of all four hands? Try it and see for yourself.

Declarer will take two high diamonds, 2 spades (he ducks a 2nd spade to the stiff ace & later takes a spade finesse), AK of hearts, the Ace of clubs, and a ruff in each hand.

That's nine.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#23 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-May-25, 21:28

The more I look at this hand, the more it makes me smile :) I have now had time to play through quite a few variations on GIB, including one where South is thrown in with the last trump to facilitate a stepping stone to declarer's winning .

But yes, taking the A and switching to a small (nige1 and rhm) is the winning defence. I, like others, were mesmerised by the usually correct defence of using one trump of ours to cancel out two ruffs for declarer.

A good post, uttam. Thank you. (And welcome to the forum.)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users