Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Wool is being Pulled

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-22, 14:44

International team event. IMPS converted to VPS.

It was clear from the early play here that something was amiss. Partner leads the Q and dummy wins, cashes three top spades (partner playing 2, 3, T) pitching the 9 and K of clubs and suprisingly plays a fourth spade. You discard a club, and declarer (a former World Seniors Champion) ruffs, ruffs a diamond and plays the long spade. Your choice appears to be to discard or ruff with the 9. Does partner have the stiff KH or does he have the ace of clubs as nothing else gives you a chance?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-22, 15:19

Surely partner playing the same spade spot that appears in dummy is an alarm clock signal, implying the stiff K?
But if partner instead played 2-3-T with declarer following with the 8 on the first round, then partner played her lowest spade at each opportunity. Trust her and ruff low.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-May-22, 15:34

View Postcherdano, on 2017-May-22, 15:19, said:

Surely partner playing the same spade spot that appears in dummy is an alarm clock signal, implying the stiff K?
But if partner instead played 2-3-T with declarer following with the 8 on the first round, then partner played her lowest spade at each opportunity. Trust her and ruff low.

Here we agree completely, and ruffing low was indeed necessary as North had x KTxxxx Kxx KQx.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-23, 01:52

it doesn't matter. if you ruff with the 9 and partner does have the stiff king then omg they'll clash, but only if partner declines to overoverruff in 4th seat as he's out of spades now too.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-May-23, 03:03

View Postwank, on 2017-May-23, 01:52, said:

it doesn't matter. if you ruff with the 9 and partner does have the stiff king then omg they'll clash, but only if partner declines to overoverruff in 4th seat as he's out of spades now too.

This is what happens when people get too obsessed with carding, the meaning of 2-3-10, signaling the stiff trump K and this and that...It only requires knowing there are only 13 spades in a bridge deck to defeat this contract.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-May-23, 03:49

View PostMrAce, on 2017-May-23, 03:03, said:

This is what happens when people get too obsessed with carding, the meaning of 2-3-10, signaling the stiff trump K and this and that...It only requires knowing there are only 13 spades in a bridge deck to defeat this contract.

Indeed. There was no legitimate line for the contract, and my partner had a senior moment in not ruffing with the nine.

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-24, 03:16

View PostMrAce, on 2017-May-23, 03:03, said:

View Postlamford, on 2017-May-23, 03:49, said:

Indeed. There was no legitimate line for the contract, and my partner had a senior moment in not ruffing with the nine.

Mrs. Guggenheim would have employed keycard Blackwood with the South hand.
Apparently former world champions consider this to be beneath them in international teams events.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2017-June-01, 12:08

Mrs. Guggenheim would also avoid the 4C cue with

x
KTxxxx
Kxx
KQ9

In defense she would also lead the club ace.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users