BBO Discussion Forums: Playing in a tourney with apartner - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing in a tourney with apartner How to play in tourney with partner

#1 User is offline   katiebeth 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-May-21, 15:45

My partner and I have been playing in the casual section. However we're not very happy with the environment and we were wondering if it would be possible for us to play in a tournament as partners. If so would you please explain to us how to do that. Thank you

#2 User is offline   BabsG 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-21, 18:04

Hi katiebeth

Sure you can play as partners. From the lobby go to the left hand side and click on Competitive, then Tournaments. This will take you to a page that lists all the pending, running and completed tournaments. The page will default to Pending/All tournaments, and will list all the tournaments that will be starting within the next 2 hours. Look for the type of tournament that you want to play in: individual or pairs. Click on the register button on the right hand side. It will ask who you want to partner.

There are many free tourneys, some you must be a member of a private club and some are open to all. Yo can click on the Title of the tourney to get the specifics.

Have fun!!!

#3 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-22, 03:43

When you start playing tourneys you will find out your tourney completion rate (TCR) and the one of your partner is zero. A lot of hosts exclude players with a low rate as most bad behaving players have a low one. Unfortunately all beginners in tourneys too. Therefore it will be not easy to find tourneys you can play. Your first task will be to get a reasonable TCR by playing 10+ tourneys within 60 days.

You could try to play pay tourneys like ACBL where is no restriction for low TCR as far as I know (unfortunately most or all are speedball) or become member of one of the clubs (BBOfans, Hornets and more). They are mostly free and have no TCR limitation.

When you get a message that only friends are allowed in a tourney, read the rules and send a message to the host asking him/her to allow you and your partner. Most will accept friendly requests.

Finally I think it might be a good idea as beginner to have a look at BIL. That is a club with a small fee offering not only tourneys but a lot of lessons for beginners and intermediates too. Members of the BIL are mostly polite and playing there should be a good experience especially for players that are quite new to Bridge.

#4 User is offline   katiebeth 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-04, 08:44

View PostBabsG, on 2017-May-21, 18:04, said:

Hi katiebeth

Sure you can play as partners. From the lobby go to the left hand side and click on Competitive, then Tournaments. This will take you to a page that lists all the pending, running and completed tournaments. The page will default to Pending/All tournaments, and will list all the tournaments that will be starting within the next 2 hours. Look for the type of tournament that you want to play in: individual or pairs. Click on the register button on the right hand side. It will ask who you want to partner.

There are many free tourneys, some you must be a member of a private club and some are open to all. Yo can click on the Title of the tourney to get the specifics.

Have fun!!!

Thank you Babs. I noticed when playing in the casual section sometimes players will say good bye I'm on my way to play in a tournament. How is the notifications sent out?
So in other words my partner and I can play casually until time arrives for tournament and then we can leave room and play?

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-04, 11:28

View Postkatiebeth, on 2017-June-04, 08:44, said:

Thank you Babs. I noticed when playing in the casual section sometimes players will say good bye I'm on my way to play in a tournament. How is the notifications sent out?
So in other words my partner and I can play casually until time arrives for tournament and then we can leave room and play?

There's no automatic notification, you need to keep track of the time until the tourney starts yourself. If you don't leave the table ahead of time, you'll just just be pulled into the tourney when it starts. The players at the table where you were playing will just see a message pop up that says that you were taken to a tournament.

#6 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-01, 20:01

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-04, 11:28, said:

There's no automatic notification, you need to keep track of the time until the tourney starts yourself. If you don't leave the table ahead of time, you'll just just be pulled into the tourney when it starts. The players at the table where you were playing will just see a message pop up that says that you were taken to a tournament.

Not this year - for tourney call-up, you now need to be showing tables or tourneys in the competitive section.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users