• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forrester at work

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-20, 16:37

Teams. International Event.

The great ARF leads the ten of spades against you. RHO (a strong player) wins with the queen and returns the 3. Which card do you play and why?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-20, 16:54

In Universe 1 ARF led the T from T9x like everyone else. But since he is ARF, we think he might have lead the T from ATx. We play the 8 and are the only declarer to go down.
In Universe 2, ARF is the only defender who found the T lead from ATx, and we go down when we go up with the J.

In reality, leading the T from ATx in partner's suit is quite common. But most of the times the tell will come from RHO - did he know his Q was going to win the trick?
If RHO is really a robot, we have to play the odds - ARF would almost always lead the T from ATx or KTx, and RHO would always put up the Q from KQxxx, and sometimes from AQxxx. So I play the 8.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-20, 19:44

I guessed that Forrester had something like this, and got it right. But there is no law that says he couldn't have been dealt 109x. Also I didn't know that to 10 was a common lead from this holding. Declarer did get it right, as it happens; what happened at the other tables? Anything interesting? What about at yours?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-20, 21:10

i would expect rho to falsecard from akq more than game theory suggests he should.

otoh LHO would often just be pissing a crucial trick or tempo away leading a pip - he's not to know if we have 9 cashers or not (we know he doesn't have a hugely negative holding like QX or KX of diamonds).

This post has been edited by wank: 2017-May-21, 00:08

#5 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-21, 01:44

View PostVampyr, on 2017-May-20, 19:44, said:

I guessed that Forrester had something like this, and got it right. But there is no law that says he couldn't have been dealt 109x. Also I didn't know that to 10 was a common lead from this holding. Declarer did get it right, as it happens; what happened at the other tables? Anything interesting? What about at yours?

Forrester did lead the ten from ATx and declarer got it right. Sometimes it pays not to be too good! At my table they led a club, but I eschewed the finesse and made ten tricks.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-21, 17:40

View Postwank, on 2017-May-20, 21:10, said:

i would expect rho to falsecard from akq more than game theory suggests he should.

Agree, I had come back to this thread to add this point only to find you had already made it :( :P

otoh LHO would often just be pissing a crucial trick or tempo away leading a pip - he's not to know if we have 9 cashers or not (we know he doesn't have a hugely negative holding like QX or KX of diamonds).

I don't think I agree - the risk of blocking the suit by leading low from ATx is just too high.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users