BBO Discussion Forums: What is partner telling you? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is partner telling you?

Poll: What is partner telling you? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

What does partner's pass suggest?

1. A desire to play 2HXX (10 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Uncertainty about where to remove to (4 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Other (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

What's your call?

1. Pass (8 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. 2S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 2N (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 3C (6 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

5. Other (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-19, 17:55

You forgot to discuss this common sequence on the way to the club, so you'll just have to rely on bridge judgement. South is a LOL, so her XX was undiscussed, but presumably expressed some sort of desire to play there.

What's partner showing you, and what do you do about it?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-19, 18:46

pass is normally played as to play here. that doesn't look very likely looking at our heart holding.

#3 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-19, 23:16

A previous partner insisted that I agree to pass of the opp redouble as saying that I want to play in the redoubled contract. That would be a useful agreement if you are often dealt QJTxx in the opp suit, but my experience was sadly different. I would usually hold something like xxx xxx xxx xxxx. After a couple of 2MXX+1 fiascos, I insisted that my pass of a redouble said ONLY that I did not want to bid. If not discussed, I assume that partner's pass also says that he did not want to bid. If a poll option was added so pass says he did not WANT to bid, I would be happy to change my "Other" vote to that new option.

In this hand, partner's pass of 2HXX strongly implies that he does not have a 4 card S suit. With xxxx xxx xxx xxx he should want to bid 2S (the lowest bid possible) in hopes that I will not bid higher with 2NT or 3m. Another corollary is that if partner does not pass the XX, but bids 3m (a higher bid level) instead, that would show some values (perhaps QTxxx of the minor he bids) since with nothing he can wait for me to act and then correct to 3m if the opps do not rescue us first. When the XX returns to me, I will bid 3C but a negative result will not be surprising.

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-May-20, 01:50

Pass. Partner heard you show extras with your first double and then heard you ask for T/O with your second double. Partner also heard your LHO redouble to play 2 xx. If playing 2 xx is hideous/distressful to partner, then partner needs to bid over the redouble. So passing should show a willingness to defend 2 xx.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-May-20, 07:30

View PostJinksy, on 2017-May-19, 17:55, said:

You forgot to discuss this common sequence on the way to the club, so you'll just have to rely on bridge judgement. South is a LOL, so her XX was undiscussed, but presumably expressed some sort of desire to play there.
What's partner showing you, and what do you do about it?

Partner may be unaware that his latest pass should show that he wants to play in 2XX. South's XX is also worrying. So perhaps, you should bid a firm 3, prepared to apologise for your lack of trust.

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2017-May-20, 09:10

read the diagram wrong - ignore
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-May-20, 13:17

Partner's hand sounds like this: 42, 75432, 843, J32

With 3 spades or 4 of a minor suit I would expect a bid of 2S or 3-of-a-minor. Ergo, lack of a bid must show 5 hearts and 2,3,3 in the minors.

Unless discussed to play this as penalty I would bid 3D.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-31, 19:56

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-May-20, 13:17, said:

Partner's hand sounds like this: 42, 75432, 843, J32

With 3 spades or 4 of a minor suit I would expect a bid of 2S or 3-of-a-minor. Ergo, lack of a bid must show 5 hearts and 2,3,3 in the minors.

Unless discussed to play this as penalty I would bid 3D.

Pd has an easy 3 bid with a 2533 hand if he is not interested in defending.(or 2 NT if they are known to open 1 from 4+5)

We opened 1 and pd passed. Then we doubled 1 and pd passed over 2 again, then we doubled 2 , (which was a gross overbid imo because it assumes pd did not see we opened 1 and doubled 1 in their live auction) and pd passed the XX. There is a freaking limit to passing the ball back to us each time. Pass it and he will not do it again unless he wants to stay in defense. But I would never double 2 after the things I have already done.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users