Weak two bids responses after overcall

#1 User is offline   mike1088 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-May-10, 21:16

Hi,

I have a question about a bidding sequence

south opens 2 weak, West bids 2 and north double

what is the meaning of north's double, is it takeout showing and or penalty ?

If take out what would be north's hand

THanks

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-May-10, 21:32

View Postmike1088, on 2017-May-10, 21:16, said:

I have a question about a bidding sequence south opens 2 weak, West bids 2 and north double what is the meaning of north's double, is it takeout showing and or penalty ? If take out what would be north's hand

Penalty, IMO

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-10, 21:34

Generally, a double after partner pre-empts is for penalty. Takeout doesn't make a lot of sense when opener is probably only holding one suit; in particular, he's very unlikely to hold a 4cM. If North had five hearts he can just bid 3H.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   proas 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-May-11, 02:57

2(weak, 6+) - 2/ - X
Dbl is penatly, because the opener defined his hand.

#5 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-11, 03:00

Another option is a good raise to 3 as opposed to a weak barrage raise

#6 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 07:39

View Postproas, on 2017-May-11, 02:57, said:

2(weak, 6+) - 2/ - X
Dbl is penatly, because the opener defined his hand.

Agreed. Double is for penalty. The purpose of the pre-emptive bid is to disrupt the opposition and crisply and quickly define the opener's hand's value (weak) and features (length of ♦).

Under no circumstances should partner be looking for an additional description or alternative fit for a second suit by means of a takeout double (ASSUMING the partner is abiding by the "rigid" parameters by which a weak 2 bid is defined ;) )

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-May-11, 08:33

Penalty. If responder wants to compete further, then he/she must normally either bid a suit, bid NT, or raise partner. The only exception is when responder has a monster hand and cues 3 . Also, the partnership needs to have an understanding whether a new suit by an unpassed hand I forcing or non-forcing in this situation.

#8 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 08:56

The traditional and still mainstream view is that is unequivocally for penalties and that opener MUST pass or else responder would be justified in shooting opener.

The logical reason for the double being penalties is simple and clear. Opener has defined his/her hand very closely in terms of distribution, nature, and defensive values - e.g., six good diamonds in a one-suited hand and about 6 to 10 HCP. Whenever one player descriptively limits his/her hand closely, his/her partner becomes the partnership's Captain In Charge of all decisions.

In this case, the opponent overcalled and Captain made the decision to swing the ax. There is no reason that the Double should ask for another suit either; the 2D opening already said "I have a one suited hand."

If I were playing weak 2 bids and I doubled the opponent and my (non-beginner) partner ever pulled the double, it would be the last time I would ever play with that partner. PERIOD.

#9 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 09:31

View PostCaitlynne, on 2017-May-11, 08:56, said:

The traditional and still mainstream view is that is unequivocally for penalties and that opener MUST pass or else responder would be justified in shooting opener.

The logical reason for the double being penalties is simple and clear. Opener has defined his/her hand very closely in terms of distribution, nature, and defensive values - e.g., six good diamonds in a one-suited hand and about 6 to 10 HCP. Whenever one player descriptively limits his/her hand closely, his/her partner becomes the partnership's Captain In Charge of all decisions.

In this case, the opponent overcalled and Captain made the decision to swing the ax. There is no reason that the Double should ask for another suit either; the 2D opening already said "I have a one suited hand."

If I were playing weak 2 bids and I doubled the opponent and my (non-beginner) partner ever pulled the double, it would be the last time I would ever play with that partner. PERIOD.

Wow - the venom in this post!

I agree of course that double is for penalties. But I like my bridge partners to be intelligent players who think. Thinking players do sometimes make "judgements" and will occasionally pass a forcing bid or take out their partner's penalty double. But you need to be in a partnership where both partner's trust the other's judgement and will not "Shoot opener" for exercising judgement.

In the case of a double of a weak two, I would expect it to be unusual if opener takes any action except pass over the double. But there have been several recent threads where good players have advocated a more random style of pre-empting. In this style, opener may not have the single-suited hand that that you are expecting, or may have even more offence vs defence potential and judge that a vulnerable game is possible. Unlikely perhaps - but I don't like dogmatic rules in partnerships.

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 11:32

I think I prefer the venom to the tolerance in this case. The venom of Caitlynne's post, not venom at the table, of course.

Removing this Double because he didn't have a weak 2-bid in the first place is pretty much playing with himself...literally and figuratively.

And for the inexperienced readers trying to learn something about partnership bidding, I don't believe encouraging them to "operate" rather than establish a good bidding foundation is helpful.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-May-11, 12:58

View Postaguahombre, on 2017-May-11, 11:32, said:

I think I prefer the venom to the tolerance in this case. The venom of Caitlynne's post, not venom at the table, of course.

Removing this Double because he didn't have a weak 2-bid in the first place is pretty much playing with himself...literally and figuratively.

And for the inexperienced readers trying to learn something about partnership bidding, I don't believe encouraging them to "operate" rather than establish a good bidding foundation is helpful.

AMEN!!!

If you have the convection to make a bid, then stand by that convection and take the consequences.

#12 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 13:30

View PostCaitlynne, on 2017-May-11, 08:56, said:

While you generally are right, suppose I made a weak 2H bid on:

void
QJTxxx
x
QTxxxx

You really would expect me to sit for a penalty X of 2s? I hope not.

Cheers,
Mike

#13 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 13:32

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-May-11, 12:58, said:

AMEN!!!

If you have the convection to make a bid, then stand by that convection and take the consequences.

That's silly. You really want partner to sit with something like:

void
QJTxxx
Qxxxxx
x

Of course you don't. Yes, 99% of the time, partner is going to sit for it. If you preempt, you generally never bid again unless partner forces you to. But there are oddball exceptions to every "rule" in bridge.

Mike

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 14:19

View Postmiamijd, on 2017-May-11, 13:32, said:

That's silly. You really want partner to sit with something like:

void
QJTxxx
Qxxxxx
x

But there are oddball exceptions to every "rule" in bridge.

Mike

Partnership wise, only if you are playing solo or going rogue. What on earth makes you think that is 2 bid?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 15:41

View Postmiamijd, on 2017-May-11, 13:30, said:

void
QJTxxx
x
QTxxxx

Cheers,
Mike

View Postggwhiz, on 2017-May-11, 14:19, said:

Partnership wise, only if you are playing solo or going rogue. What on earth makes you think that is 2 bid?

Agreed.

Let me introduce you to what we bridge players call a PASS button. You have a very distributional hand that MIGHT pay handsome dividends if you will allow your partner to describe his hand first (if he has a hand that contains opening points and some quick tricks.) Your hand is MUSH until you let him describe what he has 1st. You should refrain from committing the partnership to contracts in 1st or 2nd seat with 0.0 quick tricks, especially when you have recycle bin values.

Let's be clear, your call of PASS does not mean you are done for the auction. It just means you have a hand that doesn't fit any of the agreed-upon opening criteria for a normal or preemptive bid. Give your partner a chance to describe his hand and see if there is some kind of fit that can be made.

Please click link below regarding the general rules for a weak 2 bid. Notice how it says NO VOIDS or side 5 card suits.

Stay Inside the Lines of the Coloring Book

Weak 2 bids are narrowly defined preemptive bids for a reason. It allows your partner to quickly determine what you hold and decide what, if anything, he should do next.

Distribution on the board is already suspect when you have a 6 card or longer suit, but to add a VOID to the mix as the possible shape of your weak 2 hand AND a side 5 card minor suit, just makes bridge life utterly complicated and needlessly miserable for the respondent.

So, now a weak 2 could mean you have a crappy 6 card suit, with a crappy 5 card suit on the side, and a void?

Let me call 1-800-TELE-PATH and see if they can determine if your weak 2 bid is plain vanilla or this hot mess of a hand.

Please color inside the black lines of the weak 2 bid coloring book. It will save you and your partner a lot of headaches and misunderstandings.

Copy & Paste of hyperlink below:

The Weak Two Bid
Edited and updated 6-14-11

WHAT IS A WEAK TWO BID?
An opening bid of 2D, 2H, or 2S (not 2C)
Describing a hand with a strongish 6-card suit
Along with 7-9 HCP (6 or 10 HCP are exceptions, particularly 10).
It can be compared to an opening three bid, the difference is that a three bid normally shows a seven-card suit.

The distribution of the bidder’s Weak Two hand rates to be
6-3-2-2, or
6-3-3-1, or
6-4-2-1.

Notice: no five card side suits, no voids.

#16 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 15:50

Yeah, if that's a weak 2 for you, then partner is going to get when you pull the penX, and hopefully not put you in slam "to protect our 800".

I bet, however, that were you partnering Caitlynne, that pulling the penalty double would be the *second* partnership limiting move you executed on this auction, *even if the pull was right*.

ISTR on another thread discussing "don't care what your standards are for a weak 2, but define them and stick to them." This discussion is 100% "we have fundamentally different ideas of what is a weak 2". Both think they're right. Both, for their partnerships, are. There are just some partnerships that shouldn't exist :-)

Re: Kantarbridge: Great *introduction* to weak 2s aimed at beginners and low intermediates. I assume everyone realizes that there are also books for advanced players, and they sometimes contradict what we teach new players?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 16:01

View Postmiamijd, on 2017-May-11, 13:30, said:

void
QJTxxx
x
QTxxxx

Cheers,
Mike

LOL
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#18 User is offline   JmBrPotter 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bicycling, Chess, Computer Science, Go, Hiking, Learning, Military Simulation Games, Photography, Quality Improvement, Reading (SciFi, nonfiction), Statistics, Teaching, Two-Player Partial Information Games, Two-Player Total Information Games, oh! I almost forgot---Duplicate Contract Bridge playing and directing

Posted 2017-May-11, 16:37

Hi,

THanks

Mike,

Previous replies have certainly explained why this double is a penalty double. All this is quite so if your partnership agreement is that weak-two openings are (1) preemptive and (2) one-suited.

In its original (auction bridge) form, a "weak-two opening" went by a different name. A typical holding might have been AKQxxx Kxx xx xx. We'd call that a full opener, today. The contract bridge scoring table changed things quite a lot. Losing either king or the K and any one of the top three spades leaves a perfectly good weak-two bid as played in the contract bridge world in from about 1950-1969 or so. The bid became weaker and more broadly defined, but still with a six-card suit. It evolved from a strong low-level preemptive bid into a preemptive/constructive (or constructive/preemptive) call.

If you and your partner think of a weak-two opening as a (nearly) pure preempt, stick with this double as penalty. Now a days, many of us will open a weak-two with 5-4-3-1 or 5-4-2-2 shape. The four-card suit might even be spades! Especially, in second seat red against white, our playing strength (if not our HCP) might resemble that of a full opener (maybe, even more than one defensive winner, but maybe a 6-3-3-1 with no outside honor). Third seat at favorable, our weak-two might be a rather shameless handful of (used) tram tickets. So, to my partner and me, this double sounds more like something in the optional double or negative double family. If you have the traditional small one-suiter with no more than one loser in the suit, leave it in for blood. With tram tickets and a four-card major on the side, let's mention that four-bagger. With one-suited tram tickets, pulling the double to the opened suit might make good sense (Think of that as the "no feature" response to a 2NT feature ask.)

This might be a good time for you and your partner to discuss what is (and what is not) a weak-two opener. Pure preempt? Preempt with some constructive flavoring? Mostly constructive with a side of preemptive? How does the bid vary with seat position and vulnerability? Once you've settled those issues, you can talk about responder's actions and bidding over adverse intervention. That would include defining this double in the context of your weak-two opener. The more likely it is that opener might be two-suited or semi-constructive and two-suited, the more likely it becomes that the double should shade towards optional or negative meanings.
:-)

Brian Potter

e-mail: ClioBridgeGuy >at< att >dot< net
URL: Bridge at the Village

Bridge is more than just a card game. It is a cerebral sport. Bridge teaches you logic, reasoning, quick thinking, patience, concentration, and partnership skills.
- Martina Navratilova

#19 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 19:14

Hi,

THanks

Good question. It depends on the limit for a negative double, and whether you would use it over a weak 2 bid. Given that you DO use negative doubles in this case, then it would show hearts.
Just my opinion.

#20 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-May-11, 19:16

There are sane people who will open a 6-6 as weak 2. Obviously this is pretty rare. A little more likely is 6-5. If this is your partnership style pulling adouble is reasonable with such unexpected distribution.
If you open a off-shape hand outside partnership understanding it isn't so clear.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users