Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another crazy hand

#1 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-08, 08:56

IMPs converted to VPs. You are about halfway through a 14 board match.

You open one Polish club (11-14 balanced, 15+ with 5+ clubs, 11-17 4-4-1-4, or 18+ any shape).

LHO overcalls 1H - the opponents discussed a defence to your opening bid, but it was basically "bid what you have".

Partner bids 3C, which is weak but partner won't be totally bust. 2C would have been constructive but non-forcing, so it is less than that.

From the body language, you feel like 3S was intended as forcing. But you also know LHO could well pass this with nothing to say.

Double from you is takeout, while bids are natural and show the 18+ hand - probably not forcing but certainly forward-going.

Now what?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-08, 09:25

There are many red flags in this auction. Opponents being red vs white tells me that they are very unlikely to be joking. By opening 1 and not 1 we may actually be already 1 step ahead of others.
I am not bidding diamonds at 4 level with only 5 of them. What I am left with is;

a-Pass
b-DBL

DBL means T/O according to OP. When 3 suits are bid T/O double should show the unbid suit and inability to bid them naturally and/or strength. Assuming pd does not have 4-5 card spades due to his initial 3, opponents seem to have at least an 8 card fit if not better but I will not remain silent with 19 hcp. DBL it is for me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-08, 16:52

5d

If p opted to show clubs vs make a neg x with 4 spades then it's back to the drawing board. IMHO there is too much risk in letting the opps play almost any number of spades since everything points to the hand playing very well for them I think it is time to take charge and take advantage of favorable and bid 5d. I do not see any strong way to win this board unless 5d makes and, while I do not expect 5d to make, I have a strong hope there will be no x with my really good diamonds and the opps having zero clue as to the nature of my hand. 5d is a insurance bid (ie I don't want to lose the match on this board) and I don't mind going -50 an undertrick.

#4 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-09, 14:01

Hoping for 5 to go unchallenged when both opps have made vulnerable free bids seems deeply optimistic.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-May-09, 14:52

View Postsfi, on 2017-May-08, 08:56, said:

IMPs converted to VPs. You are about halfway through a 14 board match.
1 Polish (11-14 balanced, 15+ with 5+ clubs, 11-17 4-4-1-4, or 18+ any shape)
Double from you is takeout,
while bids are natural and show the 18+ hand -
probably not forcing but certainly forward-going.
Now what?

I rank
  • Pass = NAT. Northing sensible to say.
  • Double = T/O. IMO a better meanng would be a strong version with no sensible bid
  • 4 = NAT. But dangerous,
  • 4 = NAT Foolhardy and likely to be misinterpreted.

#6 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2017-May-09, 15:07

As much as I hate it, pass seems the best of a bad job. If the 1H overcall was an unfavourable psyche, congratulate the opps.

#7 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-10, 05:04

The full deal was:

It turns out today pass is the winning call. We beat 3S when everyone passed, and the limit our way was 2C. Out of 74 tables, N/S went plus 4 times (once in 2C by North, which I presume was South taking a view which gained them 13 imps, once defending 3Sx, and once defending 5Sx, which we weren't up to finding).

But I never imagined not taking another bid when I picked up the North hand.

BTW, Nigel's description of double is probably better than just "takeout". Partner would have been aware of the possibility of something offshape and not done anything silly. I'm not sure what he would have done with the South cards - probably 3NT or 4C, but maybe he finds the hero pass. Both continuations make interesting quandaries for North as well.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-10, 11:08

View Postsfi, on 2017-May-10, 05:04, said:

The full deal was:

It turns out today pass is the winning call. We beat 3S when everyone passed, and the limit our way was 2C. Out of 74 tables, N/S went plus 4 times (once in 2C by North, which I presume was South taking a view which gained them 13 imps, once defending 3Sx, and once defending 5Sx, which we weren't up to finding).

BTW, Nigel's description of double is probably better than just "takeout". Partner would have been aware of the possibility of something offshape and not done anything silly. I'm not sure what he would have done with the South cards - probably 3NT or 4C, but maybe he finds the hero pass. Both continuations make interesting quandaries for North as well.

What can S do anything other than pass over DBL when he already showed long clubs and weak hand? And you call this a 'hero pass' ? Wow...I am speechless over this comment!
Isn't it obvious for S to figure pd has red suits in this auction? Isn't it obvious that pd would never double without extras in this auction?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-May-10, 21:46

View Postsfi, on 2017-May-10, 05:04, said:

On the given bidding, you might not place partner with a suit. For example, if the deal is similar to that on the left (exchanging a with a pip, then EW can probably make a contract but pass by North might still be a winning action.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users