BBO Discussion Forums: How to change the disclosure laws? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to change the disclosure laws?

#41 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-11, 11:49

The fact that so many cases not adequately covered by the laws appear on these forums is evidence that the laws cannot really be simplified. Though it would be nice if they had chosen to simplify the language.

I can understand why some people might think that regulations are "complex and disorganised". I am fortunate to live in England, where this is not the case.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#42 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-11, 12:30

I go back to my *other* standard line: has anybody here read the Rules of Golf? And the Interpretations? And the annual casebooks? And their local club rules?
How about Baseball? Also, anybody wonder why, if the laws are the same across everywhere, there are no aluminum bats in the majors? or Mercy rules? or...?
Yes, the laws could use better care and handling, but when nobody cares enough to do something more than decennial "review", clearly it isn't important.
Yes, the local regulations could - especially in the ACBL - be better organized, better promulgated, and less vague. And we could have a group of people whose *job* it is to collect corner cases and issue interpretations, and promulgate those as well.

But this is not a unique situation, ladies and gentlemen (and others*). It's common to many competitive games and sports of similar complexity, that are played by world champions and the man in the street. What's different about bridge is how much 99% of the players care about it - including 90% of the world champions.

(*) Argh, missing footnote.
"Yes, I know all our members are ladies and gentlemen. What I meant to say is, 'some of you have brought *friends*.' " - Anna Russell
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users