Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Horrendous cheaper minor bug

#1 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-04, 19:49

How is the North hand worth a cheaper minor rebid only?

And then not worth continuing over 4?

Incidentally, putting this into a bidding table, GIB would bid the non-forcing 3 as South. North then uses Blackwood to reach 6.

Edit - as another bug, I'm not sure why 2 was described as a weak 2 bid! But that's not relevant, since a bidding table results in the same cheaper minor bid (with the correct description for 2).

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-May-05, 10:26

Yes, North has points and shape for a 2N or 3N bid. Not sure which point range
4 showed 24+ pts so North should be going to slam
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2017-May-05, 11:12

Do I have a hallucinations or written explanation of 2 re-bid after 2 opening really is weak 2? :)

#4 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-05, 11:41

View Postolegru, on 2017-May-05, 11:12, said:

Do I have a hallucinations or written explanation of 2 re-bid after 2 opening really is weak 2? :)

Looks pretty weak to me. No spots in long suit, only 22 HCP, potential wasted values in spades. :)

#5 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-05, 11:43

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-May-05, 10:26, said:

4 showed 24+ pts so North should be going to slam

The fact that South opened 2 means that North should have made a slam move.

#6 User is offline   CoreyCole 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-17, 16:02

I ran into a similar situation today.

I thought about bidding 3, but mouseover showed this would show something like 29 points. Finally I settled on 3. As I clicked on it, I saw to my horror that it showed at least 4 diamonds - I thought it was an artificial waiting bid, since BBO showed 3 as "forcing to 3". The robot jumped to 5, not a big success. (Down 6 for -600). The "correct" contract is probably 3NT, hoping opponents don't reel off 4 diamond tricks and the spade Ace to start.

Clearly BBO needs to define what it means by "cheaper minor". It obviously isn't the very weak 2nd negative most of us expect. Had I realized that 3 showed a real suit, I could have raised it. Although I'm not at all sure it is a real suit, it appears that way in this deal and in OP.

#7 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-17, 21:16

3 would show 22-24 and 6 hearts according to GIB, so I'm not sure where you saw 29. The "correct" bidding would be 2NT, rather than showing an unbalanced hand with strong hearts.

I can't really see anything wrong with GIB's bidding in your case though - 3 is the only possible bid you could make with that hand. As opposed to my original hand :)

#8 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-22, 11:59

View PostCoreyCole, on 2017-June-17, 16:02, said:

I ran into a similar situation today.

I thought about bidding 3, but mouseover showed this would show something like 29 points. Finally I settled on 3. As I clicked on it, I saw to my horror that it showed at least 4 diamonds - I thought it was an artificial waiting bid, since BBO showed 3 as "forcing to 3". The robot jumped to 5, not a big success. (Down 6 for -600). The "correct" contract is probably 3NT, hoping opponents don't reel off 4 diamond tricks and the spade Ace to start.

Clearly BBO needs to define what it means by "cheaper minor". It obviously isn't the very weak 2nd negative most of us expect. Had I realized that 3 showed a real suit, I could have raised it. Although I'm not at all sure it is a real suit, it appears that way in this deal and in OP.

#9 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-22, 12:02

I don't believe your description of a possible 3H rebid is accurate. That is the bid that can be passed below game. Certainly you had no valid reason to believe that 3D was anything but a natural bid. Also, 3C was not natural, it was weakness showing, the fact the clubs were held is coincidental.

Hands like this are why I prefer a 2H response to 2C as an immediate negative. Subsequent bids then can be natural without overstating strength.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users