Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deceptive Bids

#1 User is offline   TappanZ 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-May-09, 21:38

After playing in about 30 individual master point tournaments, I have been surprised and disappointed by the number of off-the- wall bids that I see experienced players making, such as overcalls and weak two-bids with 5 card suits headed by the 10, passing in first position with 16 points, opening in first position with a 3-card suit and 7 HCP, and the like. Personally, I feel disrespected when my partner decides that it is more important to deceive the opponents than to convey his holding to me. Just wondering what other people think about this.

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-10, 01:46

most people on bbo are clueless. don't attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-May-10, 08:35

People also probably take lots of liberties when they don't have to worry about partnership harmony. They're never going to play with you again, so they don't care what you think of their style.

#4 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-10, 10:24

It's important that you find a player that understands the importance of partnership. If a player values his partner and the partnership you would rarely if at all see the things you are mentioning. However, if you are partnering with someone who is really a poker player with a bridge fetish, you will see bluff after bluff after bluff with no regard for "disciplined" bidding and no concern for how a partner is supposed to "interpret" or differentiate the bluff bids from the legitimate ones.

In poker, there are no partnerships. Remind your partner that this is bridge and not poker. And if they don't shape up, find the nearest exit and let them fly the plane solo.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-10, 15:37

Red, in an individual, it doesn't help to remind your partner anything. Also remember that CHO has seen his partners, too, and knows that the person across the table from him is as clueless as the rest, so "I'd better take this in my own hands, because I'm the only one who knows how to play this game."

Note also, the words of the Emperor, for his word is Law: "If you have not been passed in Blackwood, you cannot win an Individual."

But seriously, that's the fun (and the frustration) of an Individual. You might be partnering The Master, you might be partnering Me, you might be partnering the Master-mind, you might be partnering "I know it was today, but what time today?"...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-10, 16:13

View Postmycroft, on 2017-May-10, 15:37, said:

Red, in an individual, it doesn't help to remind your partner anything. Also remember that CHO has seen his partners, too, and knows that the person across the table from him is as clueless as the rest, so "I'd better take this in my own hands, because I'm the only one who knows how to play this game."

Note also, the words of the Emperor, for his word is Law: "If you have not been passed in Blackwood, you cannot win an Individual."

But seriously, that's the fun (and the frustration) of an Individual. You might be partnering The Master, you might be partnering Me, you might be partnering the Master-mind, you might be partnering "I know it was today, but what time today?"...

Same thoughts...different seasons.

View Postbarmar, on 2014-August-29, 09:16, said:

That's basically the same issue that was raised in this thread:

http://www.bridgebas...52-individuals/

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-May-12, 11:28

View PostTappanZ, on 2017-May-09, 21:38, said:

After playing in about 30 individual master point tournaments, I have been surprised and disappointed by the number of off-the- wall bids that I see experienced players making, such as overcalls and weak two-bids with 5 card suits headed by the 10, passing in first position with 16 points, opening in first position with a 3-card suit and 7 HCP, and the like. Personally, I feel disrespected when my partner decides that it is more important to deceive the opponents than to convey his holding to me. Just wondering what other people think about this.

View Postwank, on 2017-May-10, 01:46, said:

most people on bbo are clueless. don't attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity.

If partner is clueless, OK. And seeming aberrations can be a matter of style. For example, some players routinely overcall on poor 5-card suits, in regular partnerships. But TappanZ is right that deliberate master-minding is self-indulgent and inconsiderate. It is usually ineffective, randomizes the game, and reduces the enjoyment of other players (partners and opponents alike). Unfortunately, there's little you can do about it.

#8 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-13, 06:11

View Postnige1, on 2017-May-12, 11:28, said:

Unfortunately, there's little you can do about it.

BBO is plagued by people making crazy bids to add "excitement" to the free tournaments because they have nothing to lose when they can forget many bad results and remember only a few lucky ones.Deceptive bids like this is one more reason for BBO to develop the software to offer Decision Point. Decision Point will eliminate the reasons for people to make intentionally bad bids, and will motivate people to try to play their highest quality Bridge all the time.I admit that it is only a little, but you can ask BBO to offer Decision Point.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users