BBO Discussion Forums: The same system for both partners - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The same system for both partners

#1 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-01, 05:00

Law 40A has a new a paragraph: "The agreed meaning of a call or play shall not alter by reference to the member of the partnership by whom it is made (this requirement does not restrict style and judgement, only method)". I've wondered for some time that there was no requirement that both players use the same system. It was possible to play say a precision based system when A started the bidding and an Acol based one if B was the first to call. Of course rather difficult to master, but it would probably drive the opponents mad, especially in a pairs match where you play four or two boards a round. Such matches are quite common in Holland and sometimes there is money to be won. I''ve never seen this done, but it wasn't illegal. How about other jurisdictions?
Joost

#2 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-01, 05:20

From the ABF system regulations:

3.7 Playing the same System
Both members of a partnership must play the same system, including bidding and card play agreements.
Where, as a matter of style, members frequently adopt different approaches from each other, that difference
(or those differences) must be disclosed on the system card.

So you can vary your system based on vulnerability or seat, but not on which member of the partnership bid it. I think the ACBL has a similar clause in their system regulations, but I am surprised to see the WBF doesn't (unless I missed it during my brief perusal).

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-May-01, 08:50

View Postsanst, on 2017-May-01, 05:00, said:

Law 40A has a new a paragraph: "The agreed meaning of a call or play shall not alter by reference to the member of the partnership by whom it is made (this requirement does not restrict style and judgement, only method)".

This isn't really new, it's just more explicit than the old law. 40B2a said "[The RA] may vary the general requirement that the meaning of a call or play shall not alter by reference to the member of the partnership by whom it is made." This implies that there's a general requirement that the partners are playing the same system, because otherwise there wouldn't be anything to vary.

The change in the new Law is that RAs are no longer allowed to vary this requirement.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users