• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why do opps always bid my suit?

#21 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-29, 11:24

View PostTramticket, on 2017-April-28, 13:04, said:

This is pretty much what I play with my most regular partner. On this occasion I was playing with less frequent partner - and I would not have been confident of how he would take a 2S bid.I guessed to bid 1NT, which worked OK on this occasion because partner took me out into his long heart suit, but I'm certainly seeing the attraction of a natural 2S.

Thank you all for your comments.

It is likely that I would bid 1NT. You definitely have a spade stopper, and 17 hcp. You can also handle any rebid that partner makes-including responding 2S to a Stayman inquiry.

#22 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-29, 11:24

View PostTramticket, on 2017-April-28, 13:04, said:

This is pretty much what I play with my most regular partner. On this occasion I was playing with less frequent partner - and I would not have been confident of how he would take a 2S bid.I guessed to bid 1NT, which worked OK on this occasion because partner took me out into his long heart suit, but I'm certainly seeing the attraction of a natural 2S.

Thank you all for your comments.

It is likely that I would bid 1NT. You definitely have a spade stopper, and 17 hcp. You can also handle any rebid that partner makes-including responding 2S to a Stayman inquiry.

#23 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-29, 11:49

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#24 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2017-April-29, 12:48

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-April-29, 08:54, said:

2 should show a pretty good 6 vardf suit in this spot in the auction. That's exactly what you have.

Vulnerable, it also ought to show a very good hand as you know aren't breaking particularly well.

For me this is 2 WTP as I have agreed with PD's that this is natural when the opps have bid 2 suits and especially when the suit could be 4 cards.

#25 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-29, 12:51

Assuming this is a standard auction (i.e., 1S does not promise 5+ spades), what is wrong with 2S? According to Goren, this shows a good 6 card spade suit and a pretty good hand ... which is what you have!

#26 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2017-April-29, 13:38

View PostTramticket, on 2017-April-28, 09:03, said:

Teams (24 board match)

Pass? Or bid? If so, what?

I would never bid the enemy suit in a natural sense. Overcalls are often dicey. THIS one,when you KNOW an opponent
is strong in your trump suit is just bizarre. It's one thing to have the misfortune to skid off the road;quite another
to accelerate deliberately into a tree(!) :rolleyes: Bidding opponents suit should only ever be used in a conventional
sense,and then again only in an established partnership after discussion and agreement. On the hand and bidding given,
all you can do is pass and wait developments. Who knows,your spades could prove to be opponents nemesis :P
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#27 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-April-29, 14:01

View PostPhilG007, on 2017-April-29, 13:38, said:

I would never bid the enemy suit in a natural sense.

That's good enough for me. 2S it is, then.

Bidding opponents suit should only ever be used in a conventional sense, and then again only in an established partnership after discussion and agreement. On the hand and bidding given, all you can do is pass and wait developments. Who knows,your spades could prove to be opponents nemesis :P

Accept that you are in a minority. You are entitled so to be. For the mainstream, there are a number of occasions where the norm is for a cue bid to be natural.

Using the active tense ("*I* would never do this or that") is fine. The passive tense ("This or that should only ever be done") smacks of mainstream advice that potentially runs counter to conventional wisdom, as here.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#28 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-29, 16:21

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-April-29, 14:01, said:

Yup, I'm persuaded.

Also, why is PhilG007 unbanned? It's not like he's got any less trolly
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#29 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-30, 07:03

View PostMrAce, on 2017-April-29, 11:49, said:

Is this the "Voice of Thunder" 2 I've heard so much about? :D
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#30 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-30, 14:20

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-April-29, 14:01, said:

Accept that you are in a minority. You are entitled so to be. For the mainstream, there are a number of occasions where the norm is for a cue bid to be natural.

Using the active tense ("*I* would never do this or that") is fine. The passive tense ("This or that should only ever be done") smacks of mainstream advice that potentially runs counter to conventional wisdom, as here.

So you still intend to bid 2 despite a stack of them being announced on your right(?) On thy head be it (!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#31 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-30, 14:22

View PostJinksy, on 2017-April-29, 16:21, said:

Yup, I'm persuaded.

Also, why is PhilG007 unbanned? It's not like he's got any less trolly

Easily persuaded,easily led The blind leading the blind (!) :P

#32 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-April-30, 14:28

View PostPhilG007, on 2017-April-30, 14:20, said:

So you still intend to bid 2 despite a stack of them being announced on your right(?) On thy head be it (!)

I don't think that he has announced anything more than 6542 in the suit. That hardly constitutes a "stack". Indeed your own holding tends to favour the odds that RHO's length is inherently unlikely to be significantly more than the minimum possible. Three factors favour bidding 2S:
(1) It may be your last chance to get this hand across without compromising safety
(2) it is vanishingly unlikely that the opponents are going to elect to play the hand in Spades
(3) if you get to buy it in Spades, at least you know where the opposing trumps are.

As to it being "on my head", I don't envisage any disaster befalling me for bidding 2S on this hand (unless of course a wheel comes off and partner places me with something completely different).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#33 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-30, 15:01

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-April-30, 14:28, said:

I don't think that he has announced anything more than 6542 in the suit. That hardly constitutes a "stack". Indeed your own holding tends to favour the odds that RHO's length is inherently unlikely to be significantly more than the minimum possible. Three factors favour bidding 2S:
(1) It may be your last chance to get this hand across without compromising safety
(2) it is vanishingly unlikely that the opponents are going to elect to play the hand in Spades
(3) if you get to buy it in Spades, at least you know where the opposing trumps are.

As to it being "on my head", I don't envisage any disaster befalling me for bidding 2S on this hand (unless of course a wheel comes off and partner places me with something completely different).

I've lost count of the number of times a "wheel came off" The script was doctored and partner placing me with
something completely different. I recall it was something to do with being on different wavelengths :rolleyes:
Bridge can be a cruel game sometimes :angry:

#34 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-April-30, 15:23

If the question is what should an established competent partnership be playing by agreement, then the prospect of a wheel coming off does not really feature.

The prospect of a wheel coming off may feature if there is no express agreement and you have to resort "on the fly" to what you and your partner each consider to be a common standard, resulting in differing conclusions. That prospect is more pronounced if there is no common standard to cover the scenario, or if there are several of comparable popularity. I do not see that here.

That prospect is also more pronounced if your own perception of what is standard is way out of kilter with the mainstream population, which I personally think to be so in your case, but that is just an opinion.

If the question were what do you bid opposite a pickup partner on BBO then I have more sympathy with pass, although I don't consider that question to be of interest to me and I do not interpret that to be the purpose of this discussion.

#35 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2017-April-30, 15:24

View PostPhilG007, on 2017-April-30, 15:01, said:

I've lost count of the number of times a "wheel came off" The script was doctored and partner placing me with
something completely different. I recall it was something to do with being on different wavelengths :rolleyes:

As long as you agreement with PD is the same as I have which is that when the opps bid two suits both of which can be 4 card suits your bid of their suit is natural since you don't need millions of ways to show the other two suits, then why would the wheels come off? This is a very good 17 HCP and your AKJxxx sits over their .

Now if playing with some random pick-up then the wheels might come off.

#36 User is offline   Nabooba 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-30, 18:03

I do not understand this comment. You are not playing with a random pickup, you are playing in your normal partnership. If you have not discussed this then you are not serious about the game. This is a 2S bid.
Where are you parrot?

#37 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-30, 18:16

I've lost count of the number of times a "wheel came off" . . . it was something to do with being on different wavelengths :rolleyes:

A frequent occurrence?

A possible solution might be to adhere to more standard bidding practices. You might consider it.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#38 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-30, 20:15

View PostFelicityR, on 2017-April-28, 20:48, said:

In the absence of conventional agreements, there's (as far as I can see) no hurry to bid those s. West's next call is probably either 1NT (12-14) or 2. There's just not enough high cards in the pack to foresee any other action. 2 on the second round by South would, I feel, be natural.

If West does (perhaps unbelievably) make any bid other than 1NT or 2 then partner has absolutely nothing, and the hand could be a serious misfit. Best to pass initially and see what happens first.

No hurry? Let's say West bids 2C and East raises to 3C. Now you have a bit of a problem, no?

#39 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-30, 20:17

I would never bid the enemy suit in a natural sense. Overcalls are often dicey. THIS one,when you KNOW an opponent
is strong in your trump suit is just bizarre. It's one thing to have the misfortune to skid off the road;quite another
to accelerate deliberately into a tree(!) :rolleyes: Bidding opponents suit should only ever be used in a conventional
sense,and then again only in an established partnership after discussion and agreement. On the hand and bidding given,
all you can do is pass and wait developments. Who knows,your spades could prove to be opponents nemesis :P

OK, but what you would do and what 95%+ of experts would do here are diametrically opposed.

#40 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-08, 07:41

View Postggwhiz, on 2017-April-29, 08:12, said:

I don't know anyone (else?) that plays this. Partner bids 2 (or whatever) and my 2 cue is most often a stronger invite than a raise in HEARTS.

Marshal Miles talked Eddie Kantar into playing all doubles are either takeout or penalty, look at your hand to decide which. Alertable of course and I believe this treatment is too.

Kantar has a hilarious description of this experiment buried in the humour pages of his website including defending a 1 level contract doubled in the opponents 12 card fit before they abandoned this after 1 session.

My role at this point is to let my partner know I have 17-19 points and a very well defined spade suit. I am not seeing any other bidding structure that accomplishes this without the power double.

Also, I am not worried about who has the missing spades because the only ♠ I am interesting in getting is the missing Q10♠.

I have AKJ983♠, 17-18HCP, and two other suits under decent control. I am preferring a power double instead of a cue bid WHICH TAKES UP A WHOLE ROW of bidding for my partner to respond.

I want my partner to respond at the 2 level so I can collect intelligence on his hand shape and power before committing to the 2♠ bid.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users