Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing w/ Robots Robot control

#1 User is offline   katiebeth 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-April-26, 08:53

Hello how are you? I just started using this site as a teaching aid for myself because I am a new player. I was very excited to see that you have a room with simply robots and I thought this would definitely help me improve my game.
However I have found that the robots basically have a mind of their own and pretty much run wild! So therefore I have several suggestions which would really make the room more user-friendly for us to begin her's number one please put a pause button on the screen so that we can get a better feel for what's going on number two the matter who wins be me or my north partner robot I should be the one who should play the hand not my partner robot because he just flies through and I don't even really get to see what's happening. And number three it would be really awesome if you had a replay buttonand I mean an actual real replay button where we get to replay the hand not just see how the hand was played

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-26, 09:02

katiebeth, on 2017-April-26, 08:53, said:

Hello how are you? I just started using this site as a teaching aid for myself because I am a new player. I was very excited to see that you have a room with simply robots and I thought this would definitely help me improve my game.
However I have found that the robots basically have a mind of their own and pretty much run wild! So therefore I have several suggestions which would really make the room more user-friendly for us to begin her's number one please put a pause button on the screen so that we can get a better feel for what's going on number two the matter who wins be me or my north partner robot I should be the one who should play the hand not my partner robot because he just flies through and I don't even really get to see what's happening. And number three it would be really awesome if you had a replay buttonand I mean an actual real replay button where we get to replay the hand not just see how the hand was played

If you purchase "advanced robots" they play a bit slower. The cheaper, "basic robots" don't do as much thinking, which is why they don't play as well, and also why they play at such a blazing speed.

And if you play in robot tournaments, most of them have the human play the hand when their robot partner wins the auction (the exceptions are the ones labeled "Classic"). We've chosen not to enable this when playing with robots in the main bridge club.

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-26, 15:22

I agree with everything you say, katiebeth: I practice using the 'Solitaire' feature on here (for free) and those robots play at a blazing speed. Solitaire certainly improves your bidding and declarer play as the hands are 'loaded' towards you winning the contract.

In praise of the robots I say: they allow you to play more hands per hour because of their speed; all their bids can be highlighted so you can understand their bids; and you can always analyse your hands and play them through slowly in the 'Results' section on a normal computer/laptop - I believe some features are more difficult to access on iPads, etc.

And the most important thing is that you won't get earache from a partner when you do wrong, as I invariably do :)

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-April-26, 17:31

If you play in the robot tournaments most of them the human plays all contracts.
If you click on the "My Results" tab you can replay played hands this session.
Older hands can be replayed by clicking on "My BBO" then "Hands and results"

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-27, 09:41

steve2005, on 2017-April-26, 17:31, said:

If you click on the "My Results" tab you can replay played hands this session.
Older hands can be replayed by clicking on "My BBO" then "Hands and results"

That doesn't let you replay them, you can just review the original play.

#6 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-27, 13:58

katiebeth, on 2017-April-26, 08:53, said:

number one please put a pause button on the screen so that we can get a better feel for what's going on number two the matter who wins be me or my north partner robot I should be the one who should play the hand not my partner robot because he just flies through and I don't even really get to see what's happening. And number three it would be really awesome if you had a replay buttonand I mean an actual real replay button where we get to replay the hand not just see how the hand was played

#2) I agree. In most robot tournaments, in particular the Free Dailys and the Weekly Instant, it's done how you describe it. I also believe it should be the same in simple solitaire play for what's the point of watching the robots play?

#1) If #2 were granted, #1 would be obsolete because you have an automatic pause when it's your turn, and you can review the previous trick by clicking on it.

#3) In "My results", you can click "Options" to export a hand to the "Hand viewer" and replay a hand as long and often as you like - manually though. Robots are not available there but what would it be good for? Once you know how the cards are distributed, it's not real play anyway. But GIB will let you examine how many tricks you can make with optimal play. You can even change the bidding and then reexamine the play at different contracts.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users