• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Options After A Takeout Double

#1 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-26, 02:14

In my 30 or so years of playing bridge I can't remember having a hand like this after a takeout double - though I am sure there must be one in the long lost past. However, I'd be interested in what decision you would make with my hand.

Pick-up game, IMPs, main room, Non-vulnerable vs. Vulnerable.

And, secondly, would your decision be different if the vulnerability was switched and you were Vulnerable vs. Non Vulnerable?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2017-April-26, 10:31

3NT certainly looks like the standout bid - 13 HCP, opponent's suit well stopped, no 4 card unbid suit.

My second choice would be 2 as a forcing cue bid, intending to bid 3NT next if my 2 bid is not forcing to game. If 2 is game forcing, I can bid 2NT next.

I have no intention of suggesting that we play the hand in diamonds, and I am not passing for penalties with such a bad diamond suit.

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-26, 11:30

View PostArtK78, on 2017-April-26, 10:31, said:

3NT certainly looks like the standout bid - 13 HCP, opponent's suit well stopped, no 4 card unbid suit.

My second choice would be 2 as a forcing cue bid, intending to bid 3NT next if my 2 bid is not forcing to game. If 2 is game forcing, I can bid 2NT next.

I have no intention of suggesting that we play the hand in diamonds, and I am not passing for penalties with such a bad diamond suit.

You might be hanging partner. I would cue and bid 2NT, unless the cuebid is forcing to game. If it is I am not sure what I will do. Possibly stuck with 3NT.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-26, 12:06

View PostVampyr, on 2017-April-26, 11:30, said:

You might be hanging partner. I would cue and bid 2NT, unless the cuebid is forcing to game. If it is I am not sure what I will do. Possibly stuck with 3NT.

What exactly are you expecting pd to bid over your cue? He will bid 2M and you will bid 2 NT, fine, now please explain me the difference between this and direct 2 NT. (assuming that you intended this as an invitation due to your comment about cue being GF or not)

To me...

(1)- X- (Pass)-2
(Pass)- 2-(Pass) -2 NT shows invitational hand with 4 card and good diamond stoppers, because with 4+ card spade you would bid 2 over 2. And you would bid direct 2 NT without 4 card .

(1)- X- (Pass)-2
(Pass)- 2-(Pass) - 2 NT shows inv hand with 4 card hearts and diamond stoppers.

Same goes for cue bid followed by 3 NT since I had the option of bidding direct 3 NT without a cue when I do not have a 4 card M.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-April-26, 13:04

View PostMrAce, on 2017-April-26, 12:06, said:

What exactly are you expecting pd to bid over your cue? He will bid 2M and you will bid 2 NT, fine, now please explain me the difference between this and direct 2 NT. (assuming that you intended this as an invitation due to your comment about cue being GF or not)

The difference is that immediate 2NT would be 10-12 balanced with a stopper. I realise that many if not most people will not have this available.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-26, 13:56

View PostArtK78, on 2017-April-26, 10:31, said:

Diamonds are stopped, but well stopped? I wouldn't be surprised to lose 3 or 4 diamond tricks.

#7 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-26, 14:08

At this vulnerability, I would bid 2NT because partner will try to compete with a shapely T/O double with a minimum number of HCP (and I am wimping out on this hand). Although you have 5 diamonds, you could easily have 3 or 4 diamond losers, and you have no spot cards and no suits that are obvious sources of tricks. I would like this hand a lot more if there was a sure 2nd diamond stopper.

Partner can raise to 3NT if they had a sound double.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-26, 14:23

I'm passing. I'm going to like whatever partner leads and if there happens to be a 5 card club suit over there when we can get the pump on now or soon it's max upside.

Stopping short of game is wimpy and game is hardly a sure thing. The downside is relatively small unless they make this AND we make game which is a parlay I'm betting against.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-April-26, 14:39

I'll start with 2 and bid NT next over an minimum rebid by partner.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-April-26, 14:58

View Postjohnu, on 2017-April-26, 14:08, said:

At this vulnerability, I would bid 2NT because partner will try to compete with a shapely T/O double with a minimum number of HCP (and I am wimping out on this hand). Although you have 5 diamonds, you could easily have 3 or 4 diamond losers, and you have no spot cards and no suits that are obvious sources of tricks. I would like this hand a lot more if there was a sure 2nd diamond stopper.

Partner can raise to 3NT if they had a sound double.

You mean he holds something like

xxxx
AJx
x
AQxxx

and we hope finesse does not work AND they have enough diamonds to set? Posted Image

Let me give you guys a secret about why this is a bidders game! Because opponents do not see your hands. Yes if opening leader has KQJTx(x) he has an easy lead. However he will also lead from KQJx. Will he lead from KJxxx on this auction vs 3 NT? Or will he know to lead small from KQT9x ? Because if he does not, your 8 may create a big problem for defense.

Are you guys seriously suggesting to invite when pd doubles and you hold 13 count with 2 Aces and a King? Seriously? What have you guys been playing all this years? You are not bidding a grandslam ffs! You are playing IMPs and you are bidding a very reasonable 3 NT. Yes I know it may go down but so what? Good luck at trying to stay in 2 NT and expect it to make exactly 8 tricks. Good luck with expecting pd to know when it is right to accept and when not. Oh and btw, they give a big bonus for playing games, such as 300 points instead of 50 for partscore NV and 500 instead of 50 vulnerable.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-26, 15:23

I'd just bid the practical 3N. And MrAce is right, not treating this as FG wins you a Wimp Award™.

ahydra

#12 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-26, 15:37

View PostMrAce, on 2017-April-26, 14:58, said:

You mean he holds something like

xxxx
AJx
x
AQxxx

and we hope finesse does not work AND they have enough diamonds to set? Posted Image

Do you play that 2NT bars partner from bidding? With a decent looking 5 card suit, why wouldn't partner bid 3NT even being towards the minimum? You need to make up another hand to demonstrate your point.

Since we are making up hands, why can't partner have something like

Qxxx
Axxx
x
Axxx

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-April-26, 15:38

View Postjohnu, on 2017-April-26, 15:37, said:

Do you play that 2NT bars partner from bidding? With a decent looking 5 card suit, why wouldn't partner bid 3NT even being towards the minimum? You need to make up another hand to demonstrate your point.

Since we are making up hands, why can't partner have something like

Qxxx
Axxx
x
Axxx

LOL

Since we are cherry picking hands at least try to come up with something where you can make 2 NT!
See this is the difference between you and me. Not only you can not see this but you can not see it even after I explained it in my previous post!
I am very well aware that pd can hold the hand types you picked. If he has that kind of hand, inviting 2 NT will not keep you in plus score heaven.
I would have given you much more credit if you passed the double but 2 NT? Sorry!

#14 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-26, 15:40

View PostMrAce, on 2017-April-26, 15:38, said:

Since we are cherry picking hands at least try to come up with something where you can make 2 NT!

I'm not such a wimp that I only bid 1NT :P

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-April-26, 15:49

View Postjohnu, on 2017-April-26, 15:40, said:

I'm not such a wimp that I only bid 1NT :P

My bad! I thought you were advertising 2 NT!

View Postjohnu, on 2017-April-26, 14:08, said:

At this vulnerability, I would bid 2NT because......

View Postjohnu, on 2017-April-26, 15:37, said:

Do you play that 2NT bars partner from bidding? .............

#16 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-26, 16:16

I'm passing. The most likely distribution around the table starting with me clockwise is something like 3253 3352 4414 3424. If so I hope to take most of the tricks outside diamonds, which (adding the diamond) already scores about as well as game. If opener has longer diamonds, 3N is in more danger - since a) we're less likely to benefit from suit blockage, and b) opener is commensurately more likely to be able to double if he's got an outside ace (or two).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#17 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-April-26, 17:55

I too like passing. With good controls I expect our side to take a lot of top tricks and get some ruffs.
If south is a minimum 3N won't be laydown and if they have a good hand we're killing 1.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#18 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-April-26, 20:32

1N=8-11
2N=12-14

2N.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#19 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-April-26, 22:36

Float that shizzle.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#20 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2017-April-27, 01:04

Pass.

With switched vulnerability, even equal, I would go with 3NT.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users