Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer Walsh Defence

#1 User is offline   pstansbu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-23, 08:06

Not sure on the best forum approach - there was a decent thread in 2015 here on BBO. Firstly things might have moved on in 2 years, secondly I could only see talk of 2 bids when I'm trying to work out meaning options for 3. So I decided to start a new thread rather than resurrect that.

After a transfer (1 - 2 for example) it seems there are 3 bids with optional meanings:
  • X
  • "cue" of bid suit ( in this case)
  • "cue" of target suit ( in this case)

What are people's views on the pros and cons of different defences?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-23, 13:42

x shows the suit they bid.
cue is three suited t/o
bidding the suit they bid is natural but shows a weaker hand with a long suit.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-23, 15:44

Assuming responder's suit can be four cards (e.g. 1C - 1D), the more common defence around here is:

X = takeout of the suit or suits shown (hearts and clubs here, but maybe only hearts if clubs is balanced or natural)
Either cue = natural (1H or 2C in my example)
Jump cue = Michaels - 5/5 with the other major (2H here shows spades + a minor)

Most people play either that or Helene's defence.

#4 User is offline   pstansbu 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-24, 07:54

View Postsfi, on 2017-April-23, 15:44, said:

Jump cue = Michaels - 5/5 with the other major (2H here shows spades + a minor)

Thanks - forgot the jump option - this also works with Ghestem, Questem etc.

With regard to bidding 1NT do you just worry about being stopped (residual risk that or might also be held)?

#5 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-24, 15:07

View Postpstansbu, on 2017-April-24, 07:54, said:

Thanks - forgot the jump option - this also works with Ghestem, Questem etc.

With regard to bidding 1NT do you just worry about being stopped (residual risk that or might also be held)?

Yes - you can just play whatever structure you normally use for your jumps.

If you play a 1NT overcall as strong, then you certainly want a stopper in responder's suit. Whether you need one in clubs depends a bit on their agreements. If they open 1C with any balanced hand, then it is much less important than if they are opening their longer minor.

However, I have never had good results with a strong NT overcall in these situations. I know the theory about not getting talked out of hands, particularly since both opponents may be opening light, but I pick up a hand that might bid 1NT about twice a year and every time I am glad I chose to pass. It's part of my agreements with multiple partners, but they all know I will never bid it. In other partnerships I prefer to play it as a two-suiter with 4 of the other major.

I do know I am in the minority here. Others - including many top players - will disagree.

#6 User is offline   pstansbu 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-25, 00:25

View Postsfi, on 2017-April-24, 15:07, said:

However, I have never had good results with a strong NT overcall in these situations. I know the theory about not getting talked out of hands, particularly since both opponents may be opening light, but I pick up a hand that might bid 1NT about twice a year and every time I am glad I chose to pass. It's part of my agreements with multiple partners, but they all know I will never bid it. In other partnerships I prefer to play it as a two-suiter with 4 of the other major.

Interestingly I received similar advice off-line (a seasoned national level player) who also uses 1NT for a 2 suiter. Their rationale (and applies to t/o double too) is that since partner has passed 1C with every available option open to them you need to consider that. Show your suits (single of 2 suiters) quickly but consider defending when balanced- particularly if your values are scattered. The stronger your balanced hand the more you can gain by letting the auction unfold and then decide. Frequency of actually having a real 1NT bid after both opponents have bid was a key driver to using the 1NT for something else.

#7 User is offline   pstansbu 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-25, 00:25

deleted duplicate post - received an "Oops something went wrong message" - resubmitted and had two copies :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users