BBO Discussion Forums: Which finesse is more likely to be onside? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which finesse is more likely to be onside? percentage problem

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-23, 02:31

Lead is A (East plays the Jack) and 8.

What is the best line?

You can assume that it is equally likely for West to double or overcall 2 with 1363 with weak diamonds.

#2 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-April-23, 04:00

The most frequent EW distribution seems to be 2362 with West and 2524 with East. So with little else to go on that I can think of, it seems that the K is (much) more likely to be onside and that the correct play therefore is a trump to the ace and another trump. (Bonus: West might have the stiff trump king.)

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-23, 04:45

I'm no expert (as I've honestly admitted before) but I would play Q at trick 3 and if not covered, unblock the 10. There's a possibility of being ruffed in a side suit, but how many players would not cover the Q with the K? West cleverly ducking with K is a risk I am prepared to take, but you are one trick further forward before deciding what do about the trump suit.

#4 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-23, 06:17

Q if not covered, 10 from hand to set up 6 as the second entry to dummy. First entry will be utilised for playing Q if not covered ,J from hand.If East has Kxxx & ducks all along, I will require the 2nd entry to dummy for finessing .

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-April-23, 08:21

Deleted

#6 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-23, 14:37

Finesse Q.
At least if this wins (except 4-0) you will make. However if Kx is offside, A and another won't guarantee the contract.

#7 User is offline   gszeszycki 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-23, 18:54

trick 3 I will try the top dia with the intention of pitching a heart (I no longer have to worry about 2 heart losers) if rho has (a highly unlikely) 3 dia or fails to ruff. If rho does ruff I will overruff and bang down the spade A and another spade. If lho stated with Kx they may feel endplayed and defend improperly (nothing wrong with giving the defense a chance to make a mistake). Worst case scenario we should have enough dummy entries to take the club finesses and lead toward the heart K (if needed).

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-24, 14:33

On the bidding and play to tricks 1 & 2, West has 6 diamonds and East has 2 diamonds.

There are 3 key cards you have to place, K, A, K

If West has all 3, you have to try to drop a singleton K (else you lose a spade, club, (1 or 2)hearts, and diamond)

If West has K, A, you have to play A and a spade. If you finesse in spades, West can play a diamond for East to ruff (unless spades are 3-1) and you have to lose 2 hearts, a spade and diamond). You can draw trump, pitch a heart on a good diamond, and take a couple of club finesses.

If West has K, K, you have to try to drop a singleton K, or you lose a spade, club, heart, diamond

If West has A, K, you have to take a spade finesse.

West should have at least 2 of the 3 keycards for a 2 overcall. So, I would play A and a spade.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users