• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suit combination

#21 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-23, 01:50

View Postmsjennifer, on 2017-April-23, 01:37, said:

I am poor at the mathematics.However, as a simpleton,On the table,I would not like to concede an unnecessary trick to a singleton or doubleton 10 with my LHO and so I will play small to the jack all the time.

So you are OK with conceding an unnecessary trick to a singleton King?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#22 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-23, 04:16

I acknowledge the erudition and statistical ability of all concerned here, but if I spent nearly three minutes at the table trying to work it out at my club, an opponent would either clear their throat noisily, tut, or mutter under their breath 'come on'. So much for today's manners...

However, in the absence of bridge analysers, cerebral or otherwise, if you have a choice of finesses to take (and I have taken on board there is no further entry to dummy) it usually pays to play a lower card than a higher.

If you had the split combination A Q 10 opposite three small, many would lead to the 10; 982 opposite AQJ53 is just a different split variation where leading the 9 is 'finessing' by playing the lower card.

It's probably statistically wrong to do so, but I am only providing my opinion how I would personally play the cards in the absence of other information.

#23 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-23, 04:50

View Postmsjennifer, on 2017-April-23, 01:37, said:

I am poor at the mathematics.However, as a simpleton,On the table,I would not like to concede an unnecessary trick to a singleton or doubleton 10 with my LHO and so I will play small to the jack all the time.

Please be very careful, Msjennifer. You are not a member of the collective, and are a clear outsider whose credentials are dubious at best. Dissenting and/or alternative views are not welcome when groupthink among seasoned veterans is at play.

#24 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-23, 05:11

View PostFelicityR, on 2017-April-23, 04:16, said:

I acknowledge the erudition and statistical ability of all concerned here, but if I spent nearly three minutes at the table trying to work it out at my club, an opponent would either clear their throat noisily, tut, or mutter under their breath 'come on'. So much for today's manners...

However, in the absence of bridge analysers, cerebral or otherwise, if you have a choice of finesses to take (and I have taken on board there is no further entry to dummy) it usually pays to play a lower card than a higher...

It's probably statistically wrong to do so, but I am only providing my opinion how I would personally play the cards in the absence of other information.

It does not pay handsome dividends to dissent from the collective's statistical erudition. However, all exaltations of the collective's omniscience and greatness are welcome 24/7.

Resistance is futile. You must assimilate.

#25 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-April-23, 09:09

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-April-23, 01:50, said:

So you are OK with conceding an unnecessary trick to a singleton King?

YES SIR.

#26 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-April-23, 09:18

View PostRedSpawn, on 2017-April-23, 04:50, said:

Please be very careful, Msjennifer. You are not a member of the collective, and are a clear outsider whose credentials are dubious at best. Dissenting and/or alternative views are not welcome when groupthink among seasoned veterans is at play.

Oh yes indeed.Thanks for a timely reminder,Sir.

#27 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-23, 10:19

View PostFelicityR, on 2017-April-23, 04:16, said:

It was the last board of the round and I had that time so it seemed reasonable to use it.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users