BBO Discussion Forums: Poll - rotating the table for human declares - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Poll - rotating the table for human declares

Poll: Poll - rotating the table for human declares (37 member(s) have cast votes)

If BBO changed things so dummy was rotated to be north

1. I would be happy (17 votes [45.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.95%

2. I wouldn't care (14 votes [37.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.84%

3. I would be unhappy (6 votes [16.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

Is providing an interface to allow both options something BBO should spend time on?

1. Yes (14 votes [37.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.84%

2. No (16 votes [43.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.24%

3. Don't care (7 votes [18.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-19, 23:22

(Continuing discussion from http://www.bridgebas...168#entry920168 ).

#2 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-19, 23:40

I did not vote in the first question because my choice "It dies not matter to me" is not available. I was a little disoriented the first time I played the hand from dummy's position, but I have had no problems with it since then. I also have no problems with deciding how I would play the hand from dummy's perspective when partner is declarer.

FYI, I tried twice to vote "No" in only the 2nd question, but I got a BBO error that deleted my reply. I hope this reply survives without any vote.

#3 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-20, 00:01

Actually, good point. Since we've only had two voters, let me tweak things a little..

Have updated the poll - couldn't seem to get rid of the 2 current voters, so treat sfi + 1eyedjack's votes as incorrect unless they change their choice.

#4 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-20, 00:43

View Postsmerriman, on 2017-April-20, 00:01, said:

Actually, good point. Since we've only had two voters, let me tweak things a little..

Thanks! BBO seems to not like answering only a 2nd question, but I was able to vote after the third option was added to the first question.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-20, 02:04

View Postsmerriman, on 2017-April-20, 00:01, said:

Have updated the poll - couldn't seem to get rid of the 2 current voters, so treat sfi + 1eyedjack's votes as incorrect unless they change their choice.

Now corrected, for self.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-20, 08:20

View Postsilvr bull, on 2017-April-20, 00:43, said:

Thanks! BBO seems to not like answering only a 2nd question, but I was able to vote after the third option was added to the first question.

I've also added a don't care option to the second question, so people can vote on just the first question if they want.

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-April-20, 08:21

This should also be mandatory for money bridge.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-21, 07:56

View Postsmerriman, on 2017-April-19, 23:22, said:

(Continuing discussion from http://www.bridgebas...168#entry920168 ).

I agree that the exchange of seating by NW sometimes confuses me and costs a trick. On the other hand the alternative, rotating the table, can also lead to confusion as to which opponent has bid what, and can also cost tricks. I have no idea which is worse because I have never tried the alternative. But actually I believe that this question is beyond the point. The real problem IMO is that the declarer hand and the dummy look exactly alike. Which by the way violates WBF Law 41D, if anyone cares. And while placing dummy's cards on the table in exact agreement with Law 41D would certainly bring trouble to people with small displays, there should be other ways of marking dumms's cards, such as slightly graying them out, painting them with a red boundary or whatever. I believe if the dummy were clearly marked as dummy, the problem would disappear.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-April-22, 04:20

View Postm1cha, on 2017-April-21, 07:56, said:

The real problem IMO is that the declarer hand and the dummy look exactly alike.
That may be the case if you have configured it to show "pictures of cards" rather than diagram layout. I cannot fathom why anyone would choose pictures of cards layout, but each to his own I guess. Anyway, if you go with diagram layout then the background behind dummy's cards is a darker shade of grey than the other three tables.

If you insist on using that ("pictures") layout it certainly improves the argument for rotating the hands to make dummy North, as I would not want to forget during the play which hand is visible to the opponents. That said, I think that a better solution than rotating them would be to make it more obvious which hand is dummy when in pictures mode.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#10 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-22, 13:43

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-April-22, 04:20, said:

That may be the case if you have configured it to show "pictures of cards" rather than diagram layout.

What an interesting point! For how long have I been playing this now? And I never noticed this option. Thanks! :)

That said, I think that a better solution than rotating them would be to make it more obvious which hand is dummy when in pictures mode.

That's what I meant, and I would say the same for the diagram mode, too. On my PC, at least, there is not that much difference between the two grey levels. I suggest the dummy get a little shift to yellow or orange.

#11 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-22, 14:48

View Postm1cha, on 2017-April-21, 07:56, said:

I agree that the exchange of seating by NW sometimes confuses me and costs a trick. On the other hand the alternative, rotating the table, can also lead to confusion as to which opponent has bid what, and can also cost tricks. I have no idea which is worse because I have never tried the alternative. But actually I believe that this question is beyond the point. The real problem IMO is that the declarer hand and the dummy look exactly alike. Which by the way violates WBF Law 41D, if anyone cares. And while placing dummy's cards on the table in exact agreement with Law 41D would certainly bring trouble to people with small displays, there should be other ways of marking dumms's cards, such as slightly graying them out, painting them with a red boundary or whatever. I believe if the dummy were clearly marked as dummy, the problem would disappear.

I brought up the point about BBO's web version dummy display being in violation of the bridge laws in a different thread. IIRC, Fred said the reason was that there was a problem fitting a dummy with a long suit into the display. Obviously this isn't a problem for the windows version which has slightly smaller card images. I had a couple of suggestions for the web version (besides blowing it up and going back to the windows version :D :P ) Maybe the next web version will have a "legal" dummy display.

#12 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-22, 14:54

That may be the case if you have configured it to show "pictures of cards" rather than diagram layout. I cannot fathom why anyone would choose pictures of cards layout, but each to his own I guess. Anyway, if you go with diagram layout then the background behind dummy's cards is a darker shade of grey than the other three tables.

Funny, I can't think of a reason why anybody would prefer a diagram layout, at least not in the 21st century when advanced graphics is so important. Maybe on the cheapest, smallest phone displays where you have severe size constraints, but other than that, ???

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-April-23, 00:10

View Postjohnu, on 2017-April-22, 14:54, said:

Funny, I can't think of a reason why anybody would prefer a diagram layout,

Well I can sort of answer that for myself. I can't speak for others. Beyond acknowledging that they are entitled to a point of view without my having to understand it.

I prefer the diagram layout because, for me
1) It minimises the amount of time that it takes me assimilate the hand into my brain
2) It minimises the scope for error in assimilating the hand into my brain
3) It minimises the scope for error and maximises the ease with which I can select/click on a card to be played.

As to WHY that should be the case, that is for the psychologists to answer. I am no psychologist qualified to pontificate on the cause, but that does not prevent me from observing the effect.

I have some views on the matter, related to cleanliness or lack of surplus clutter in the display, and the opportunity to shed yourself (as programmer) from visual display constraints that add nothing to ease of use. It would not surprise me if the reasons why diagram mode is necessary for a small (mobile) display also contribute to positive (if not essential) benefits in a larger display.

at least not in the 21st century when advanced graphics is so important

Thing is, as a consumer (just one among thousands) *I* don't place such importance on advanced graphics. OK fine if all other aspects are equal. But absent that equality, for me functionality takes priority over elegant artistry of display.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-23, 09:33

Funny, I can't think of a reason why anybody would prefer a diagram layout, at least not in the 21st century when advanced graphics is so important. Maybe on the cheapest, smallest phone displays where you have severe size constraints, but other than that, ???

I prefer diagrams, always have, even before I started playing on tablets most of the time. I find picture mode too "busy". It seems like it's using graphics just for its own sake, not to actually improve the interface.

But I acknowledge that many users like pictures because it more closely resembles the way we play at tables.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users