BBO Discussion Forums: Switching Sides to Declare in Robot Games - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Switching Sides to Declare in Robot Games

#1 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2017-April-19, 15:40

I agree with BBO's idea that when a player's robot partner becomes declarer, the player is temporarily moved to that seat so that he gets to play the hand.
However, BBO's way of implementing this idea is thoroughly wrong to the point of being stupid. So I'd like to petition the management to correct it.

Here's the way it actually works now on BBO, as best I'm able to reconstruct the facts.

Suppose you are sitting West, and your robot partner (East) wins the auction and becomes declarer.
The hands don't move on the screen -- West continues to be shown at the bottom, with the other hands placed accordingly.
The opening lead comes from your right, and dummy is at the bottom of the screen.
In effect you are playing the hand upside down, and are forced to remember that the hand at the top is the concealed hand.
And of course, none of this is explained at all. If you are new to BBO you are screwed.

Here's the way it SHOULD work, because it is the only sensible way.

Suppose you are sitting West, and your robot partner (East) wins the auction and becomes declarer.
All the players are now moved 180 degrees around the screen, thus putting declarer's hand (temporarily "you") at the bottom and dummy at the top.
The opening lead comes from your left, and play works normally.
When the last card is played or a claim is accepted, all players are moved back to where they were during the bidding.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-19, 15:54

Your suggestion was tried once upon a time. It was sufficiently unpopular that they switched back.

Seems to me that this is an area where the user should get the choice, in configuration settings. But there again there is a lot of resistance to adding complexity to the interface.

Speaking personally, as one who has lived through both implementations I much prefer the current setup. If my LHO bid spades during the auction I find it easier to remember that my LHO has the Spades in the play if he is not hopping up and down swapping places between bidding and play.

I don't expect everyone to share my preference. I just thank my lucky stars that on this occasion I happen to be with the majority.

Anyway bottom line is that this was thought about, and experimented with, and the end result is deliberate by design. No oversight.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-19, 18:23

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-April-19, 15:54, said:

Your suggestion was tried once upon a time. It was sufficiently unpopular that they switched back.

I'll take your word that BBO switched, and then switched back. I don't remember BBO doing any kind of poll of all the robot users. Probably they just reacted to some squeaky wheels, and I don't understand why they wouldn't have offered users a choice, even if buried in a 3rd or 4th level menu.

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-19, 18:28

View Postjdgalt, on 2017-April-19, 15:40, said:

However, BBO's way of implementing this idea is thoroughly wrong to the point of being stupid.

If you joined BBO years ago, you could play using the Windows version which gives users options to locate declarer, yourself, or South at the bottom.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-April-19, 21:33

I'm absolutely with you on this. A classic case where choice should be offered.

BTW I note that the 3 Windows download configuration options that you list do NOT extend to the config currently subject of complaint: robot (partner) declarer at the top v whole hand rotation. I can't remember for sure if windows ever gave you that choice but if I had to guess I would suggest not.

The "experiment" with hand rotation may have been limited to the mobile skin. I don't think that it was formally polled. I don't think that I have ever seen a poll conducted on any subject. They just react (if at all) to the volume of noise.

If you hunt back far enough there are some threads in the forum on this point.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#6 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-19, 23:19

The large majority of the times I play from North, I end up assuming North is the dummy part way through the hand and find it very impressive when the robots seem to know what I'm holding. So I'd definitely be for a change. If there hasn't been a poll, let's do one..

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-April-19, 23:41

View Postsmerriman, on 2017-April-19, 23:19, said:

The large majority of the times I play from North, I end up assuming North is the dummy part way through the hand and find it very impressive when the robots seem to know what I'm holding. So I'd definitely be for a change. If there hasn't been a poll, let's do one..

Just curious, but has that confusion (assuming North is the dummy) in any way damaged the way that you played the hand? I'd be interested to see an example.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-April-19, 23:58

View Postjohnu, on 2017-April-19, 18:23, said:

I'll take your word that BBO switched, and then switched back.

Found it:

http://tinyurl.com/lo6ghte

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-20, 08:40

View Postjdgalt, on 2017-April-19, 15:40, said:

In Robot tourneys, the human is always sitting South. How can you be sitting West?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users