BBO Discussion Forums: BBF vs JEC Sat April 15 at 2PM EDT (8PM CET) - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBF vs JEC Sat April 15 at 2PM EDT (8PM CET) Please apply here if you'd like to play vs Jec on Sat

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 3,934
  • Joined: 2009-July-26
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:bucharest / romania

Posted 2017-April-15, 05:15

Need a team for today at 2PM New York Time (8PM Central European Time)

#2 User is offline   gszes 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,037
  • Joined: 2011-February-12

Posted 2017-April-15, 11:43

I am constantly amazed at the lack of interest in playing (and learning from the experience) against some of the top players in the WORLD. In what other sport can one try to hone one's skills against future hall of fame players?? Even if you get slaughtered 3 good things will come from the experience.

1. You will begin to get rid of some of the butterflies that inevitably happen when playing in high level competition (some days in front of 1000+ kibitzers).

2. JEC graciously provides all the medical help you need to help heal those JEC MACK TRUCK TIRE WOUNDS:)))))))

3. No guarantee on this one but you might actually LEARN something if you study the results.
0

#3 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 16,450
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-April-15, 14:33

It was me+zebutin and diana_eva+ marintlc. We lost by 22, 49-27.

http://webutil.bridg...279173&u=barmar

My defense on 6 was lazy, that cost us really big. Zebutin was squeezed on 20, and declarer probably would have found it, but zebutin made it easy by pitching a club; unfortunately, Tracey didn't find it at the other table.

Board 9 was a gift, Garozzo miscounted his tricks.

What do people think of my reopening on 19? It was the only real bidding decision I had to make the entire session.

#4 User is offline   FelicityR 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 82
  • Joined: 2012-October-26
  • Gender:Female

Posted 2017-April-16, 02:32

View Postgszes, on 2017-April-15, 11:43, said:

I am constantly amazed at the lack of interest in playing (and learning from the experience) against some of the top players in the WORLD. In what other sport can one try to hone one's skills against future hall of fame players?? Even if you get slaughtered 3 good things will come from the experience.

1. You will begin to get rid of some of the butterflies that inevitably happen when playing in high level competition (some days in front of 1000+ kibitzers).

2. JEC graciously provides all the medical help you need to help heal those JEC MACK TRUCK TIRE WOUNDS:)))))))

3. No guarantee on this one but you might actually LEARN something if you study the results.


I recognise I am way out of my depth even to contemplate taking part in a JEC game, that I enjoy watching from time to time. But, and I can only speak for myself, playing against some of the world's top players who have honed every bid and card to virtual perfection with a pick-up partner is, in my view, a car crash waiting to happen.

I would not be nervous having people watch me - I have sung and acted in front of hundreds - but partnering someone who isn't a regular partner just makes the game doubly difficult, I feel.

Given that JEC's team beats established partnerships regularly, I assume the 'lack of interest' for want of a better phrase is a combination of factors including what I have written above.

Let's be honest, on a Saturday night, at 8pm European time, I would be getting ready for a night out at the theatre, or the cinema, or meeting friends for drinks, and I am sure there are many other European players who would be doing the same.
0

#5 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,903
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Getting back into golf after a very long layoff.

Posted 2017-April-16, 09:04

View PostFelicityR, on 2017-April-16, 02:32, said:

I recognise I am way out of my depth even to contemplate taking part in a JEC game, that I enjoy watching from time to time. But, and I can only speak for myself, playing against some of the world's top players who have honed every bid and card to virtual perfection with a pick-up partner is, in my view, a car crash waiting to happen.

I would not be nervous having people watch me - I have sung and acted in front of hundreds - but partnering someone who isn't a regular partner just makes the game doubly difficult, I feel.


If you're a regular poster, there's a precedent for bringing in a partner who is non BBC.

While the play is strong, it's far from perfect. If you've been a performer you understand the way to develop poise is to frequently put yourself in a situation in front of a lot of people.

Jillybean used to sign up a lot and she advanced into a competent player as a result.

Please sign up in one of these weeks.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
1

#6 User is offline   FelicityR 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 82
  • Joined: 2012-October-26
  • Gender:Female

Posted 2017-April-16, 11:36

View PostPhil, on 2017-April-16, 09:04, said:

If you're a regular poster, there's a precedent for bringing in a partner who is non BBC.

While the play is strong, it's far from perfect. If you've been a performer you understand the way to develop poise is to frequently put yourself in a situation in front of a lot of people.

Jillybean used to sign up a lot and she advanced into a competent player as a result.

Please sign up in one of these weeks.


Very kind words, Phil. Thank you. But I know my level, and I'd rather watch some young guns give the JEC team a run for their money than get involved myself. However I will keep on posting on the forums as it helps me learn, and helps others too, and it's good looking at all the replies to a specific question. It's stimulating.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users