BBO Discussion Forums: Strong hand over partner's preempt - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strong hand over partner's preempt

#21 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-15, 15:52

View Postnekthen, on 2017-April-15, 02:57, said:

East has chosen 2 instead of dbl missing the AK

I see something like

QJTxxx
xx
AQ
KQJ

a reasonable chance for 8 tricks and not much chance of defeating 2

It seems reasonable to give West a honour and nothing else.

So far the bidding has been entirely reasonable. It all depends on who has the A and who has the singleton.

On this basis I see 2 as an almost certain make and 3 probably down so I pass

I think the doublers of 2 are under the impression the 2 is an unusual action. It may well be normal

First, why do you think East is so strong for his balancing bid? He'd make the same bid if the Ad were a small diamond.

Second, why do you think partner has a H honor and nothing else for a vul 2H opener?

Finally, even on the hand you posit, X may still be fine. Give partner the AJh and you take 2 spades, a heart, a heart ruff, a club, and a diamond. +200.

Cheers,
mike

#22 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-15, 15:58

First round is a clear pass. You don't have a heart fit. Where are your tricks on offense.

If partner makes normal weak 2 bids, second round is a X at MPs (never at IMPs). 2H will make more often than not. If partner has the Ah, you are looking at 6 tricks. If he doesn't, then he ought to have something outside H for you. In any event, 2S rates to go down, so you have to X to get +200 instead of +100.

If partner makes undisciplined weak 2 bids in first seat, then you are stuck guessing.

And as noted above, in IMPs this is entirely different. Then you have two clear passes. +100 is just as good as +110; -670 is disaster.

Cheers,
Mike

#23 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2017-April-15, 16:27

View Postmiamijd, on 2017-April-15, 15:58, said:

First round is a clear pass. You don't have a heart fit. Where are your tricks on offense.

If partner makes normal weak 2 bids, second round is a X at MPs (never at IMPs). 2H will make more often than not. If partner has the Ah, you are looking at 6 tricks. If he doesn't, then he ought to have something outside H for you. In any event, 2S rates to go down, so you have to X to get +200 instead of +100.

If partner makes undisciplined weak 2 bids in first seat, then you are stuck guessing.

And as noted above, in IMPs this is entirely different. Then you have two clear passes. +100 is just as good as +110; -670 is disaster.

Cheers,
Mike

I agree with you 100%.

#24 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-15, 18:25

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-April-14, 17:39, said:

Picture partner with KQJxxx and out, this could easily be making an overtrick

I did picture him with it, and unlike others I think it's a perfectly good weak 2. But partner so rarely has a perfectly good weak 2, and this is MPs. I think it's more likely that 2 is going down than making, and if it does make we're probably not getting much better than 30% anyway, so has more to gain than lose.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-15, 22:54

1-Pass
2-Pass
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#26 User is offline   JLilly 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-15, 23:10

I think it's critical to know how tight partner is with weak-two bids when vulnerable. And how much having a void and/or a four-or-five-card side-suit affects their calculus. And, not knowing partner individually, guessing based on the community of players from which partner was drawn.

#27 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-April-16, 00:14

View PostJLilly, on 2017-April-15, 23:10, said:

I think it's critical to know how tight partner is with weak-two bids when vulnerable. And how much having a void and/or a four-or-five-card side-suit affects their calculus. And, not knowing partner individually, guessing based on the community of players from which partner was drawn.

Agree. It might also be helpful to know with what kind of hand East is likely to protect. At pairs, players tend to be less disciplined, so your decision does hinge on your assessment of probabilities,

#28 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-16, 02:40

Trying to predict what will happen at other tables, and particularly assuming that they will all be the same, can be a mugs game. Yes, if everyone else is making 2H then you need to double 2S, but the chances are that they are not. Some may not open partner's hand, or may open 1H, or 3H. Others might overcall 3S, or double. In partscore situations like this a plus score is king so I feel that getting 2S one off will be fine, maybe not 100% but well above average. Clearly 2S doubled making will be a zero.

#29 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-April-16, 08:20

PASS^2
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#30 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-April-16, 09:30

We can't give RHO a free shot at 2S. I'd rather bid 3H than pass. 110 vs 100 /200 looks like a realistic outcome and we have a score to protect.

Could partner have KQJxxx and out? But he might have some other assorted goodies that make us a lock for a set.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#31 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2017-April-16, 10:59

If you never concede a doubled contract, you aren't doubling enough. I double 2S. I've been wrong before.

I expect 1 off to be mostly likely, with 2 off possible if partner has a fair hand.

#32 User is offline   mlbridge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-16, 17:44

Pass first go around.

After the 2S overcall, I would double for penalty if my pard is conservative and I can expect some values in the other two suits. If my pard is aggressive and plays hand well, I would bid 3H. My 10 of hearts may help out.

If my pard is weak, I would pass and take my chances at setting 2S

#33 User is offline   Nabooba 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-17, 04:30

View Postmiamijd, on 2017-April-15, 15:58, said:

Cheers,
Mike

"If partner has the Ah, you are looking at 6 tricks"
Uh where?
AH, 2S and maybe a H ruff, AC and where is the 6th defensive trick?
Where are you parrot?

#34 User is offline   JLilly 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-19, 18:03

Would partner ever open 2M with four cards in the other M? If they did what would that mean? Randos on BBO, I'd assume 2M just meant 6 cards and not enough for 1M and too much for P. This kind of hand makes me sympathetic to Muiderberg and other 5-card weak-two treatments that are scarce in North America, even if those conventions don't solve the problem.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users