• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does this auction mean ?

#21 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-14, 09:18

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-April-14, 08:04, said:

I've done the mis-sort, the hand in question was AKxx QJx xx QJxx I realised this after partner transferred to spades over my 1N.

What was your agreement about super-acceptances? :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#22 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-April-14, 10:51

View Postaguahombre, on 2017-April-14, 09:18, said:

What was your agreement about super-acceptances? :rolleyes:

It didn't extend to what the 3N I bid meant :)

#23 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-14, 15:51

Yes, occasionally you open 1NT on a six-card C or D suit, but it's not common (or shouldn't be).

3D is more of an IMPs bid than a MPs bid. It should show a minimum hand with a good 5-card D suit (maybe a six-bagger) and weakness for NT play. Maybe something like:

xx KQsx KQJTx Ax

You are apt to get murdered at NT here if partner has 8-9 and fewer than 4 spades (which is what he's shown). 3D ought to be pretty safe (partner rates to have a few D if he doesn't have a four-card major).

In IMPs, this bid makes a lot of sense; you want to go plus. At MPs, it's less useful, as NT scores better than diamonds.

Cheers,
mike

#24 User is offline   JLilly 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-16, 00:03

Is opener known to open 1NT with six-card minors? With two non-stopping doubletons?

(caveat: don't really consider myself intermediate yet)
I'm assuming that the 1NT-2NT raise was well understood as a quantitative NT raise. Since opener opted for 1NT rather than a major, and since responder opted for a natural 2NT raise rather than Stayman (or Jacoby transfer), the balance of the majors is very likely with opponents. With weak holdings in one or both majors, maybe opener is worried about ending up in a NT contract and bid 1NT expecting/hoping that responder would use some suit-seeking device resulting in a comfortable sign-off (or, with a good fit, raise to game) in a suit. So I'd interpret 3 as a proposal to play in 3, and specifically, expressing an aversion to playing in 2NT relative to in 3. If responder has both majors stopped and a maximum for a 2NT invite, bid 3NT. If responder has 5 diamonds (or 4 diamonds with three honor points, maybe?) and ~3 or fewer losers in the majors, I guess maybe raise to 4? Something like x KJx Kxxxx Qxxx? This makes 5 opposite opener's Jxx Qx AQxxx AK, for example. Swap the K in with an x in and opener has the major stopped, and the partnership is likely to make 3NT.

None of this is based either on conventional knowledge or on specific experience. I'm just trying to guess based on what will avoid losing contracts and what might make game contracts. As always I'm happy there are more experienced/skilled players participating in these forums.

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-16, 03:53

View PostJLilly, on 2017-April-16, 00:03, said:

Is opener known to open 1NT with six-card minors? With two non-stopping doubletons?

(caveat: don't really consider myself intermediate yet)
I'm assuming that the 1NT-2NT raise was well understood as a quantitative NT raise. Since opener opted for 1NT rather than a major, and since responder opted for a natural 2NT raise rather than Stayman (or Jacoby transfer), the balance of the majors is very likely with opponents. With weak holdings in one or both majors, maybe opener is worried about ending up in a NT contract and bid 1NT expecting/hoping that responder would use some suit-seeking device resulting in a comfortable sign-off (or, with a good fit, raise to game) in a suit. So I'd interpret 3 as a proposal to play in 3, and specifically, expressing an aversion to playing in 2NT relative to in 3. If responder has both majors stopped and a maximum for a 2NT invite, bid 3NT. If responder has 5 diamonds (or 4 diamonds with three honor points, maybe?) and ~3 or fewer losers in the majors, I guess maybe raise to 4? Something like x KJx Kxxxx Qxxx? This makes 5 opposite opener's Jxx Qx AQxxx AK, for example. Swap the K in with an x in and opener has the major stopped, and the partnership is likely to make 3NT.

None of this is based either on conventional knowledge or on specific experience. I'm just trying to guess based on what will avoid losing contracts and what might make game contracts. As always I'm happy there are more experienced/skilled players participating in these forums.

I gave +1 to your reply.
Not necessarily because I agree with every technical points you explained but because you expressed how you see it very well. With my own experience as a player, as a teacher and as a BBF member I can easily tell that you will have a bright future in this game.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#26 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2017-April-16, 10:08

View PostMrAce, on 2017-April-16, 03:53, said:

I gave +1 to your reply.
Not necessarily because I agree with every technical points you explained but because you expressed how you see it very well. With my own experience as a player, as a teacher and as a BBF member I can easily tell that you will have a bright future in this game.

I certainly agree with Timo's assessment of the writer (JLilly). The content of his post might well be 'bought', depending on Responder's hand, by a committee judging whether (this time) 3nt is allowable. It also would be a useful basis (again depending on Responder's hand) for considering Diamond raises by Responder when judging what the adjusted score should be.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#27 User is offline   JLilly 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-19, 17:37

Thanks MrAce and aguahombre -- I'd be grateful to learn where you think my analysis and recommendations were off.

#28 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-19, 23:08

View PostJLilly, on 2017-April-19, 17:37, said:

Thanks MrAce and aguahombre -- I'd be grateful to learn where you think my analysis and recommendations were off.

You were not off.
Only thing that I want to say is, in my entire bridge life I have not been dealt a hand that I do not want to play 2 NT but 3m after I opened 1 NT and pd invited. I have not seen any of my opponents doing that either. I have seen many hands where my side or opponents had this auction. All were misunderstanding of the 2 NT bid and that is what I would expect when I see this auction.
That does not mean hands for this auction do not exist. I personally did not experience it enough (none) to give it a serious thought.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#29 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 16:38

In Acol Land, opening 1NT with a 6-card minor is very rare. This makes the ethical pressure a bit lighter, although

silvr bull said:

My use for that auction is a hand that will bid 3NT if responder has a missing top honour in the minor I bid, but that will play in 3m if no fit. I would have a hand something like Axx KJx AQJxx Tx, or switch the minors for 1NT-2NT, 3C.

is still a possibility.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#30 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 17:12

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-April-14, 08:04, said:

I've done the mis-sort, the hand in question was AKxx QJx xx QJxx I realised this after partner transferred to spades over my 1N.

I played against somebody in a regional who had two 4 card club suits who also opened 1NT. After he noticed what he really had, he ended up jumping to 6 which made on a lucky lie of the cards.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users