BBO Discussion Forums: Bridge Teacher Wanted - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge Teacher Wanted I'm a strong 'expert' player who makes stupid mistakes.

Poll: Bridge Teacher Wanted (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Someone out there to teach a strong 'expert' player who makes stupid mistakes?

1. With a reasonable fee? (4 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   pater333 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-April-08, 04:56

I'm a strong, 'expert', player who makes stupid mistakes.

#2 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-08, 07:33

I am sure that there will be many strong experts(!) around to teach you for a reasonable fee.

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-08, 09:01

This post is leading with your chin and I predict will attract flotsam AND jetsam, his evil twin.

We had a local "pro" giving lessons out of his home that had 4 students arrive at his door during a howling blizzard. He told them, "you're 10 minutes early" and shut the door. :lol:

Read a good book or two on sports psychology. I found one a few years ago but don't remember the title. It covered focus and concentration, meditation type techniques etc. for individual as well as team competitions and is the kind of thing (along with professional coaching) that got Phil Mickelson over the top when he was getting a severe reputation as a sunday choker on the back 9.

My problem at the time was tempo, too much speed not enough thought and it helped me to be very aware of a bad habit and to plan a checklist to go through before making the play.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-08, 13:23

Not only expert but "strong expert" and need lessons?
Are you from Turkey by chance? Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-April-08, 15:48

Most experts make avoidable mistakes and can learn more. It takes guts to admit it. But that's one reason why international teams employ coaches,

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-10, 01:12

Best would be, I think, to hire a pro. make sure a post-mortem is included in the fee.

By the way, do "strong, expert" players make stupid mistakes? I don't think so.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-10, 08:00

1nt 14-18
2nt 19-22
blackwood 0413

the op employs cutting edge methods.

#8 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-10, 08:41

Most 'strong expert' players in any sport or game, I suppose, will automatically know where they have gone wrong. As a moderately-advanced player myself with over 30 years of playing this game, I always know when I have made a right mess of things.

As for stupidity, that normally occurs after the 2nd large glass of wine :)

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-10, 09:17

View PostFelicityR, on 2017-April-10, 08:41, said:

As for stupidity, that normally occurs after the 2nd large glass of wine :)

The problem I have with being a non-drinker is that I don't have excuses like that available. I'm just dumb, sometimes.

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-10, 09:42

View PostVampyr, on 2017-April-10, 01:12, said:

Best would be, I think, to hire a pro. make sure a post-mortem is included in the fee.

By the way, do "strong, expert" players make stupid mistakes? I don't think so.
Absolutely they do. But just like "hopeless levels" (or "can't play levels"), the World Class player's "stupid mistake" is the Strong Expert's "poor choice" is my "obvious seeing all 52 cards" is the flight B player's normal play (and for them it's not a mistake, because their partner won't get it either) is the Flight C player's "huh?"

I explain to the newer players here that "this game doesn't get any easier as you get better. You just make a higher class of dumb mistakes" (along with "there will come a time where you feel like you're going backward - that you're getting worse with play. Actually what's happening is that you are seeing more mistakes you never noticed before, faster than you're correcting them. Don't worry about it, just play through it.")
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-27, 05:53

This is probably as good a hand as any for you to start your analysis of your real level. As far as I can see from your hand records you are a solid player in dire need of a regular partner that is not going to do crazy things. If you can create such a solid basis, it would probably make your self-analysis much easier as well as more accurate. My initial assessment would be that you would benefit most from a course aimed at advanced players. Private tuition is obviously better still if you have a lot of money but is probably a little wasteful at this stage of your development. Another tool that you might consider is Bridge Master. This is an educational program published by BBO and would almost certainly improve your declarer technique. There are also various add-ons that you can buy. Hopefully the admins will waive the CoCs for advertising in this case given the developer concerned! :P
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users