• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An Illogical Alternative The new Law 16B

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-05, 08:36

Lead 7. Table result 6NT=

SB has been reading the new laws keenly, and saw an opportunity to salvage something on this hand from Tuesday's duplicate at a North London Club which now uses the 2017 Laws. North, the Rabbit, when bidding 2NT, said, "I hope you won't think just inviting is insulting you, SB". SB assumed that North would have a good 9-count for this careless comment, which he knew full well was UI, and if he bid and made 3NT it would be wound back, as Pass was surely an LA. After some thought he jumped to 6NT.

West led the seven of spades and East won the spade and continued them, but SB won, ran the queen of clubs, covered, and then ran the jack of diamonds. The third round of clubs began a progressive squeeze on East, of course, and SB soon notched up 12 tricks.

"Thank goodness for the blunder in the new laws," gloated SB, "without that I could not have escaped."

"I am not happy," retorted Charlie the Chimp, "and what do you mean the blunder in the new laws?" He queried. "Pray tell."

"Well 16B1a states:
(a) A player may not choose a call or play that is demonstrably suggested over another by unauthorized information if the other call or play is a logical alternative."

The emphasis was SB's, in his usual loud and boorish manner. He warmed to his task. "That wording specifically means that it is not an infraction to choose a call or play that is not a logical alternative." "And I think you will all agree that 6NT was not a logical alternative and it was not demonstrably suggested at all." "We have a second board to play. Can we move on, please. You are only moaning as you failed to find the heart lead which beats the slam trivially."

How would you rule?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2017-April-05, 08:46

View Postlamford, on 2017-April-05, 08:36, said:

Lead 7. Table result 6NT=

SB has been reading the new laws keenly, and saw an opportunity to salvage something on this hand from Tuesday's duplicate at a North London Club which now uses the 2017 Laws. North, the Rabbit, when bidding 2NT, said, "I hope you won't think just inviting is insulting you, SB". SB assumed that North would have a good 9-count for this careless comment, which he knew full well was UI, and if he bid and made 3NT it would be wound back, as Pass was surely an LA. After some thought he jumped to 6NT.

West led the seven of spades and East won the spade and continued them, but SB won, ran the queen of clubs, covered, and then ran the jack of diamonds. The third round of clubs began a progressive squeeze on East, of course, and SB soon notched up 12 tricks.

"Thank goodness for the blunder in the new laws," gloated SB, "without that I could not have escaped."

"I am not happy," retorted Charlie the Chimp, "and what do you mean the blunder in the new laws?" He queried. "Pray tell."

"Well 16B1a states:
(a) A player may not choose a call or play that is demonstrably suggested over another by unauthorized information if the other call or play is a logical alternative."

The emphasis was SB's, in his usual loud and boorish manner. He warmed to his task. "That wording specifically means that it is not an infraction to choose a call or play that is not a logical alternative." "And I think you will all agree that 6NT was not a logical alternative and it was not demonstrably suggested at all." "We have a second board to play. Can we move on, please. You are only moaning as you failed to find the heart lead which beats the slam trivially."

How would you rule?

That "logical alternatives" include any alternative that is actually chosen by a player who is under Law 16 restrictions (simply because it was indeed chosen).

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-April-05, 08:50

View Postpran, on 2017-April-05, 08:46, said:

That "logical alternatives" include any alternative that is actually chosen by a player who is under Law 16 restrictions (simply because it was indeed chosen).

Where does it say that in the new Laws? SB might have missed it on his speed-read.

It defines a logical alternative as:
(b) A logical alternative is an action that a significant proportion of the class of players in question, using the methods of the partnership, would seriously consider, and some might select.

In this case, nobody using the methods of the partnership would seriously consider or select 6NT. I polled 10 players and had 75% for 3NT and 25% for Pass. None even mentioned 6NT.

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-05, 08:54

The way I'm reading that law is when there is UI, you must choose among the logical alternatives. The SB failed to do so and hence should be rolled back. I'm inclined to roll it back to 50% 2NT+4 and 50% 3NT+3 seeing as the actual hand seems like a very borderline accept.

I'm surprised the SB thinks that 6NT rates to score better than 2NT, but that's another story.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-April-05, 09:01

View Postmanudude03, on 2017-April-05, 08:54, said:

The way I'm reading that law is when there is UI, you must choose among the logical alternatives.

It certainly does not say that. Your interpretation would be consistent with

(a) A player may not choose a call or play that is demonstrably suggested over another by unauthorized information and must choose a call or play that is a logical alternative."

rather than:

I think a player can make any call he wishes if it is not demonstrably suggested over another call or play. One can bid as madly as one likes.

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-05, 09:07

I think you are reading it the wrong way around Paul. The question is whether Pass is a logical alternative, since that is "the other call" referred to, not whether 6NT is a logical alternative. Now, if you were to argue that 6NT was not suggested over Pass, you might have a case...
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-05, 09:17

The way I'm reading that law is when there is UI, you must choose among the logical alternatives.

I don't think so. What it says is that if X is a logical alternative, and Y (which might be an LA, but isn't required to be) is demonstrably suggested by the UI, you can't choose Y over X.

I'm surprised the SB thinks that 6NT rates to score better than 2NT, but that's another story.

Which is why it's not a violation of Law 16B1. There's nothing in the UI that suggests that 6NT is a good contract. It was a gamble and it paid off.

However, we might still be able to get him on a violation of 73C1, which stil says that you have to avoid taking any advantage from the UI. Being in receipt of UI, he knows that he can't get a good board by bidding and making 3NT -- it will be adjusted by the TD. So he's destined for a bad result, and there's little downside to trying the gamble -- at worst it turns an average minus into a bottom. This seems like taking advantage of the UI.

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-April-05, 09:20

View Postbarmar, on 2017-April-05, 09:17, said:

However, we might still be able to get him on a violation of 73C1, which stil says that you have to avoid taking any advantage from the UI. Being in receipt of UI, he knows that he can't get a good board by bidding and making 3NT -- it will be adjusted by the TD. So he's destined for a bad result, and there's little downside to trying the gamble -- at worst it turns an average minus into a bottom. This seems like taking advantage of the UI.

As manudude said, 6NT does not rate to be a success, so it cannot be taking any advantage of the UI. "taking advantage of" means "gaining by using". This is clearly not the case here, and he is allowed to gamble.

#9 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-April-05, 09:27

View Postgordontd, on 2017-April-05, 09:07, said:

I think you are reading it the wrong way around Paul. The question is whether Pass is a logical alternative, since that is "the other call" referred to, not whether 6NT is a logical alternative. Now, if you were to argue that 6NT was not suggested over Pass, you might have a case...

I see your point and think you are right. However, Pass AND 3NT are the logical alternatives. He chose 6NT. The test is therefore whether 6NT is demonstrably suggested over EITHER of the two logical alternatives, I think. I submit it is not and one can therefore always choose any call that is not demonstrably suggested over any of the LAs. Not ideal, but if the only LA you can really get away with is very bad, then it pays to gamble on a non-LA.

One wonders why this is not sufficient if the meaning should be as you suggest: "A player may not choose a call or play that is demonstrably suggested over a logical alternative by unauthorized information."

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-April-05, 09:29

View Postlamford, on 2017-April-05, 09:20, said:

As manudude said, 6NT does not rate to be a success, so it cannot be taking any advantage of the UI. "taking advantage of" means "gaining by using". This is clearly not the case here, and he is allowed to gamble.

Yeah, it was a stretch.

This isn't really much of a change from the 2007 Laws. The old law said "may not choose from among logical alternatives one that could demonstrably have been suggested over another by the extraneous information". If you don't consider the chosen action to be an LA, then he obviously didn't choose it "from among LAs". And if you do consider it to be an LA, it's still the case that the UI didn't demonstrably suggest it.

So I think SB wins this one.

#11 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2017-April-05, 09:29

Let me pose a challenge for anyone to rule upon. (And I can assure that this situation has actually occurred, but I am not yet disclosing the circumstances):

The dealer picks up his cards and bids 7NT! (For the record: Yes he first looked at his cards and no, he has no UI).

How do you rule with quotation of any relevant Law? (Depending on the further developments on that board if relevant.)

(Take it for granted that there is no way 7NT as the first bid can be part of any systemic agreements).

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-April-05, 09:34

Lamford is right again.

Weird. Many times, in the past, here and in other Bridge-law discussion-groups I've suggested a protocol that a director might use as a thought-experiment to help with UI decisions. Most ridiculed it. Nevertheless, it had the merit of stating explicitly that the call actually chosen should be treated as a logical alternative..

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-April-05, 09:40

View Postpran, on 2017-April-05, 09:29, said:

The dealer picks up his cards and bids 7NT! (For the record: Yes he first looked at his cards and no, he has no UI).

How do you rule with quotation of any relevant Law? (Depending on the further developments on that board if relevant.)

I don't think there's anything in the Laws to prohibit it, so result stands.

I'm happy to play against anyone who likes to randomly open 7NT. I'll double it, and 99% of the time I expect it to be a good result for us. Once in a blue moon it might be a decent sacrifice against our slam.

If someone discovers that he only pulls this stunt in cases where it actually is a good sac, I think it should spur an investigation into whether they have a wire on the boards. Even if you only do it with a Yarborough, it still seems like a poor gamble.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-April-05, 09:47

View Postnige1, on 2017-April-05, 09:34, said:

Lamford is right again.

Weird. Many times, in the past, here and in other Bridge-law discussion-groups I've suggested a protocol that a director might use as a mind-experiment to help with UI decisions. Most ridiculed it. Nevertheless, it had the merit of stating explicitly that the call actually chosen should be treated as a logical alternative..

I think EBU regulations say that the call actually chosen should be treated as an LA. But as I pointed out, it doesn't really affect the ruling, because a random gambling action is not likely to be suggested.

I think the point I was trying to make in my digression to 73C was that when the UI happens to suggest what you consider to be the normal action, you're basically screwed. So you might as well try something random, it can't hurt. The UI doesn't actually suggest this particular action, it's just that being in receipt of UI suggests that you try something unusual.

But in real life, these types of gambles almost never pay off. We only hear about them here because Lamford carefully constructs deals where they can. Only the Abbot is as unlucky as the opponents in a SB hypothetical.

#15 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-05, 10:06

View Postlamford, on 2017-April-05, 08:36, said:

"Well 16B1a states:

How would you rule?

What is the antecedent to 'the other call'?

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-05, 10:15

You know, we hear from time to time that club directors are reluctant to do anything that might drive players away from the game. In SB's case, though, I'm not so sure that would be a bad thing. :ph34r:

Give SB his 6NT, and impose a DP of 100% of a top for gloating, and another 100% of a top for his boorish manner.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#17 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-April-05, 15:20

There is case law in the EBU, for exactly this case, that the alternative chosen is logical *for this player* due to the simple fact that the player took it. I can't imagine this being overturned with "over another" being changed to "if the other call is a logical alternative." I'm sure, however, that the EBU LC will give chapter and verse eventually (and by eventually, I mean "the first time someone tries this IRL.")
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#18 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-April-05, 17:39

View Postmycroft, on 2017-April-05, 15:20, said:

There is case law in the EBU, for exactly this case, that the alternative chosen is logical *for this player* due to the simple fact that the player took it. I can't imagine this being overturned with "over another" being changed to "if the other call is a logical alternative." I'm sure, however, that the EBU LC will give chapter and verse eventually (and by eventually, I mean "the first time someone tries this IRL.")

It does not matter one iota what the EBU case law says. "Logical alternative" is defined by Law 16B, so the TD is obliged to follow that. In addition, there is still a requirement that a selected call be demonstrably suggested for it to be illegal.

#19 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-05, 17:56

The way I'm reading that law is when there is UI, you must choose among the logical alternatives. The SB failed to do so and hence should be rolled back. I'm inclined to roll it back to 50% 2NT+4 and 50% 3NT+3 seeing as the actual hand seems like a very borderline accept.

You can't do this - if 3NT wasn't a legal bid, then it shouldn't be in the weighting.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-05, 19:46

View Postlamford, on 2017-April-05, 09:27, said:

I see your point and think you are right.

I think so too. It is a pity that I could not have been written in English. Oh, that was English?

However, Pass AND 3NT are the logical alternatives. He chose 6NT. The test is therefore whether 6NT is demonstrably suggested over EITHER of the two logical alternatives, I think. I submit it is not and one can therefore always choose any call that is not demonstrably suggested over any of the LAs.

You may be right here. Perhaps it is not such a bad thing. And if it is, it's okay, because the new laws are basically designed to reward offenders. As long as you accept that, there will be no problem.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users