• You cannot reply to this topic

An Illogical Alternative The new Law 16B

#41 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-10, 09:54

View Postmycroft, on 2017-April-10, 09:32, said:

It's a L73 violation anyway :-).

No it is not. That requires one not to take "any" advantage of the UI. Bidding 6NT here, or 5NT or 7NT, is going out of one's way, lemming-like, to avoid taking "any" advantage and is completely legal and to be praised not condemned. If SB, with a chunky 17-count had passed, and game failed, you would want to hang him for not making the automatic raise and getting lucky?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#42 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-10, 11:48

*Carefully avoid* taking any advantage of the UI. That's the quote.

Without the UI, this is an auto-pass. With the UI, we know that the auto-pass is wrong. Anything that isn't "pass" is not "carefully avoid[ing] taking advantage of the UI", even if you want to phrase it as "carefully trying to take disadvantage of the UI". And yes, if partner tank-invites, you have the max hand, and you don't bid game, and you get lucky (even if this time, the tank-invite was "am I too strong for an invite?", the answer is yes, and they still take the first 5 spades), I have a problem.

6NT, no matter how it sits, is "how can I possibly get a better result than I'm booked for, knowing what I know (some of which I'm not allowed to "know")." Even if the chance is small - or even negligible. And it's imProper.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#43 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-10, 11:50

View Postmycroft, on 2017-April-10, 09:32, said:

Having said that, the cases like the OP (including the auction, not just the magic make hand) where it is likely just trading something for nothing, but magic happens and it makes, are so far between (even compared to the ones that generated the regulation) that if it gets caught in the backwash, I'm not going to get too upset. It's a L73 violation anyway :-).

That's the point I was making at the end of #14. I suspect we have an order of magnitude more hands like these here in the forum than happen anywhere in the world in the same amount of time.

#44 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-April-10, 14:45

View Postpran, on 2017-April-05, 09:29, said:

Let me pose a challenge for anyone to rule upon. (And I can assure that this situation has actually occurred, but I am not yet disclosing the circumstances):
The dealer picks up his cards and bids 7NT! (For the record: Yes he first looked at his cards and no, he has no UI).
How do you rule with quotation of any relevant Law? (Depending on the further developments on that board if relevant.)
(Take it for granted that there is no way 7NT as the first bid can be part of any systemic agreements).

• No problem if dealer has, for example, a solid A A A A K Q x x x x x x x
  • Or even a slightly gambling A A A K Q J x x x A K Q T
  • The director might penalise declarer if he has 14 cards or has already played the hand,
  • In normal circumstances, If declarer has some average hand, he might be penalized for spoiling the enjoyment of the game for players at thus and other tables..

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users