• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stuck for a bid

#1 User is offline   TPavlov 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-April-01, 15:46

2 = nat NF

I decided to open this hand 1 rather than 1NT as I have an easy rebid after a major suit response + the hand is much more suit-oriented... however, I got stuck. At the table, I chose 3. Any better suggestions?

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-01, 17:11

I prefer 1 to 1NT as the two doubletons are in the majors, and the hand is minor suit heavy and probably technically stronger than a normal 1NT 15-17 opener.

As for 3 that seems wrong and gives the impression that you are a minimum opener. The trouble is that 3NT may be the optimum contract, but if partner had a (semi) balanced 10-12 count why isn't he redoubling instead of 2?

3 seems a possibility, showing good support and more than a minimum, but that could also be interpreted as a splinter. Though that is my bid in this situation. If it turns out wrong so be it.

#3 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-01, 17:18

View PostTPavlov, on 2017-April-01, 15:46, said:

2 = nat NF

I decided to open this hand 1 rather than 1NT as I have an easy rebid after a major suit response + the hand is much more suit-oriented... however, I got stuck. At the table, I chose 3. Any better suggestions?

With your hand I see 5C. But if partner has a stopper in S then we probably have 3N. Partner probably does not have 4 in a major otherwise would have bid it. So I would bid 3H showing my strong hand inviting partner to bid 3N with a stopper in S. If partner makes other bid, go to 5C.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-01, 20:44

Two clubs after that Double is such a bad hand in our style that 3 is just fine to further the pre-empt.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-April-02, 00:28

Since 2C is supposed to be a runaway bid and absolutely NF ,personally,I feel to show your 5 losers strong hand a bid of 4 Club is advisable.

#6 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2017-April-02, 01:03

"With your hand I see 5C. But if partner has a stopper in S then we probably have 3N. Partner probably does not have 4 in a major otherwise would have bid it. So I would bid 3H showing my strong hand inviting partner to bid 3N with a stopper in S. If partner makes other bid, go to 5C."

As pd would bid 2C with a 6 card C suit a stiff D and out, I don't. Bid 3C. Definitely not 3H!
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#7 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2017-April-02, 01:15

By the way, 1NT is a FAR better opening than 1D, as you show your strength and pre empt the Majors.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#8 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-02, 03:23

it rather depends what 2C means. as you might gather from the above, some people play that good hands with clubs must redouble first so partner's got a weak hand. where i come from, that's not so and 2C is natural and forcing.

#9 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2017-April-02, 06:31

2 = nat NF

3 is quite sufficent. Bear in mind West's takeout double. The club KQ is somewhat devalued.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#10 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-02, 07:58

All depends on what 2 is bid.

If 2 is forcing with 5+ card and 10+ HCP you want to look for slam and 4 is the best agreement to show such a hand.

Playing 2 as non forcing with 5+ card and 0-9 HCP (better option) 3 is a underbid.

Looking for 3nt (by bidding 2h) your partner needs to hold 2 aces if so it is also 5 and what to bid depends on IMP or MP play.

Playing MP you could look for 3nt but is a risky contract on a lead and I would bid 4 being a invite and be ready to double opponents.

Playing for IMP I would bid a practical 5c.

#11 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-02, 08:44

View Postwank, on 2017-April-02, 03:23, said:

it rather depends what 2C means. as you might gather from the above, some people play that good hands with clubs must redouble first so partner's got a weak hand. where i come from, that's not so and 2C is natural and forcing.

Sir,would you be kind enough to tell me what will be your bids ,A) If 2C is a one round force. B) 2C is a passable,or rather to be passed,bid.Of course ,one has to keep in mind the take out double by LHO(who could have used a Michaels cue bid but did not).

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2017-April-02, 09:56

View Postmsjennifer, on 2017-April-02, 08:44, said:

Of course ,one has to keep in mind the take out double by LHO(who could have used a Michaels cue bid but did not).

Yep. That is a strong rat-smell, IMO. I picture partner with XXX XXX X AJXXXX -- and that is a strong one. We can compete to 4 if necessary and hope to beat 4M with Diamond ruffs.

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2017-April-02, 10:01

View Postwank, on 2017-April-02, 03:23, said:

Yes. In fact, our redouble is specific -- showing club length and invite+values.

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-02, 21:48

View Postthe hog, on 2017-April-02, 01:15, said:

By the way, 1NT is a FAR better opening than 1D, as you show your strength and pre empt the Majors.
Personally,Sir,I am of the opinion that there are too many top cards(6controls)in three suits with just xx in the spade suit as also the 5/4 excellent holding in the minors points to a suit contract rather than NT.Exchange the club King for spade King and the picture suddenly changes.On such hands we bid as per system and we do not have the sole purpose of preempting opponents holding such a strong hand.If the opponents have the Majors and they are advanced players an One NT opening is not going to stop them from bidding ,not in the least.This is a strong and constructive hand and the standard approach system clearly says it's an 1D opening.These days the sole deplorable tendency of obstructing the opponents is on increase.This is against the system,and that should be reserved for non defensive distributional long suited hands.1NT is a very poor and misleading opening bid on this particular hand.

#15 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-03, 03:35

Like many questions that get asked on the BBO forums I think that there is more than one answer, depending on who the others at the table are. Playing with random players of largely unknown ability perhaps 4C is the best bid, on the basis that the hand is clearly too good for 3C but not good enough for 5. Playing with a strong partner 5C becomes the better bid as I would not expect him to bid 2C on complete garbage and he would not expect me to have a better hand than this.

I don't think 2H, or some other invented bid, is right playing with any partner. It is unlikely that you can make 3NT unless partner can provide help in both majors, in which case he would probably have bid 1NT or redoubled. A weaker player may have bid 2C on a hand suitable for 3NT, and a bid of 2H might get you there, but then it might also get you to 4H. And even if it did get you there your partner would be playing it with less than optimal outcome. (The only time 2 or 3 H would be correct is if playing with an established partner with whom you have agreements covering this situation.)

As for the best opening bid I might consider 1NT if the hand were weaker and you were playing a 12-14 NT, in which case the preemptive argument has merit. But playing a strong NT there is no need to bend the system so 1D is clearly correct.

#16 User is offline   ladydoc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-April-03, 10:04

2 = nat NF

I agree with your three club bid. Partner's bid wasn't forcing (or he would have redoubled). You are raising his suit only, and he has no major.

#17 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2017-April-03, 17:44

I'm not stuck at all and just would raise to 3

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users