BBO Discussion Forums: Strange interpretation of auction - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strange interpretation of auction

#1 User is offline   fhacker 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-March-31, 06:28

My robot partner opened 1D and I responded 1H. Opposing robot overcalled 1S. Partner robot doubled to show 3 card support. After opponent's pass, I decided to ask for key cards.
My robot partner passed 4N. I was stunned to read that the robot thought I had 4+ hearts and 6+ points.

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-31, 11:55

View Postfhacker, on 2017-March-31, 06:28, said:

My robot partner opened 1D and I responded 1H. Opposing robot overcalled 1S. Partner robot doubled to show 3 card support. After opponent's pass, I decided to ask for key cards.
My robot partner passed 4N. I was stunned to read that the robot thought I had 4+ hearts and 6+ points.

That's definitely an accurate description of your hand :P but that's what happens when you don't check the meaning of bids before making them :) Of course, sometimes the online description and GIB's interpretation isn't the same and you end up in a different ridiculous contract. There's no way to get these right every time.

#3 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-31, 14:10

View Postfhacker, on 2017-March-31, 06:28, said:

I also would have thought that 4NT is asking for keycards, for what else could it be, but sometimes GIB just isn't programmed that way. I recomment to make a habit of always checking the bid before clicking it. In some cases as this one, you have to confirm the fit before you can ask for keycards. 3 cards opposite five was not considered a sufficient fit in this case by GIB. In order to confirm the fit, you can often overcall opponents' suit. In this case 2 still shows only 4+ but 3 shows 5+ . 3 is your bid! Opener would probably bid 4 (or cue bid) upon which you can ask for keycards with 4NT.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users