BBO Discussion Forums: Opening on junk - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening on junk Which of these (13 point - ugh!) hands do you open?

Poll: Which do you open? (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following hands do you open?

1. All of them (54 votes [83.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.08%

2. A, B (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. A, C (1 votes [1.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

4. B, C (0 votes [0.00%])

5. only A (3 votes [4.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.62%

6. only B (0 votes [0.00%])

7. only C (0 votes [0.00%])

8. none (7 votes [10.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-March-24, 11:10

We play precision and certainly shall open all three,either 1D or 1NT depending upon the vulnerability

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-24, 11:26

View Postnekthen, on 2017-March-24, 02:22, said:

A few months ago I polled about Axx, Axx, xxx, Axxx. Most people said they would open it. From the perspective of a weak 1N opening you are much more likely to get in trouble with a 3 Ace hand than with 4 QJ suits. I open QJx QJx QJx QJxx every time any seat any vul

I still pass 3 Ace hands :)

I do give them full credit after partner opens because they will work well with most opening hands. They work less well opposite poor hands where no one can make game. It is a struggle to develop 4 extra tricks from a 5 count in dummy.

I am not saying this to offend you or due to disagreement. I am suggesting this seriously for your sake. Seek for another game immediately!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   bravejason 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-24, 12:28

View PostPhilG007, on 2017-March-24, 08:06, said:

None are ideal,but if you have opening points then you MUST open the bidding.

Yes, but do these hands contain opening points? Or perhaps points are irrelevant and it is shape and the number of honors that count instead?

#24 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-March-24, 13:15

Sorry, but I'm passing all of them. I might think about opening if it were 1 1/2 QT 13 count, but not on 1/2 QT.

Marty Bergen in his books has an adjustment to make for the real "value" of honor cards versus the 4-3-2-1 Work count. It involves comparing the number of As and 10s in a hand versus the number of Qs and Js. If the larger number is As and 10s, you may upgrade the hand. If its Qs and Js, you downgrade the hand. The change is as follows:

0-2 difference - no adjustment
3-5 difference - 1 point adjustment
6+ difference - 2 point adjustment

These hands with 7 quacks and no As/10s would fall into the 2 point downgrade category. By that reckoning, they count 13 value but are more like real 11 value hands.

#25 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-24, 14:38

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-March-24, 13:15, said:

Sorry, but I'm passing all of them. I might think about opening if it were 1 1/2 QT 13 count, but not on 1/2 QT.

Marty Bergen in his books has an adjustment to make for the real "value" of honor cards versus the 4-3-2-1 Work count. It involves comparing the number of As and 10s in a hand versus the number of Qs and Js. If the larger number is As and 10s, you may upgrade the hand. If its Qs and Js, you downgrade the hand. The change is as follows:

0-2 difference - no adjustment
3-5 difference - 1 point adjustment
6+ difference - 2 point adjustment

These hands with 7 quacks and no As/10s would fall into the 2 point downgrade category. By that reckoning, they count 13 value but are more like real 11 value hands.

I hope you realize Marty would open these hands in a flash....not close.

#26 User is offline   bravejason 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-24, 15:12

View Postmike777, on 2017-March-24, 14:38, said:

I hope you realize Marty would open these hands in a flash....not close.

I've read several of his books and his books do not advocate opening these kinds of hands. Maybe he would open them, but his books teach that these hands should not be opened.

#27 User is offline   xbrit66 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-March-24, 16:11

Maybe re-word the question? I vote none in 1st or 2nd seat but all in 3rd seat and probably 4th seat.

#28 User is offline   calabres 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-March-24, 21:02

They are all clear opening hands. All of them have an easy rebid to any answer of my partner.
calabres
UNIBRIDGE CLUB Manager
www.unibridge-club.com

#29 User is offline   VJ 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-March-25, 07:23

View Postmsjennifer, on 2017-March-24, 11:04, said:

Yes indeed!Kaplan and Reuben's hand evaluators are obsolete as they are too conservative.Forgotten for good as some would say!

I only can agree, all is a matter of style, but it is difficult to communicate with your partner if you open on any of these hands and want to convey along a message that you have a constructive hand ready to go for a plus score. Statistically, you are off to a bad score. None of those hands should be opened, whether constructively or destructively. Bridge tuition should lead even average players to better standards. The question does not even deserve to be raised, in my opinion. The poll result only shows how low the average level of the teachers and players is. I feel sorry for them.
Systems architect
Currently playing for Alsace, France

#30 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-25, 07:31

View PostVJ, on 2017-March-25, 07:23, said:

I only can agree, all is a matter of style, but it is difficult to communicate with your partner if you open on any of these hands and want to convey along a message that you have a constructive hand ready to go for a plus score. Statistically, you are off to a bad score. None of those hands should be opened, whether constructively or destructively. Bridge tuition should lead even average players to better standards. The question does not even deserve to be raised, in my opinion. The poll result only shows how low the average level of the teachers and players is. I feel sorry for them.

REALLY ?!! :o

#31 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-25, 09:06

I must first qualify my answer as saying that I am using SAYC with 15-17 HCP as 1NT.

The answer is an equivocal NO to all 3 choices, regardless of seat or vulnerability.

The purpose of the opening bid is to to describe the trick-taking potential of your hand, so that the partnership neither overreaches itself (and thus incurs a penalty by promising to take more tricks than is possible) nor misses a golden opportunity to obtain a lucrative reward by failing to set the commitment high enough when ample strength is held.

The opening bid serves as a foundation for the partnership to explore the viability of a contract so the Milton Point system (4-3-2-1) ALONE is insufficient to accomplish that. Why? Because Milton's systems overvalues queens and jacks and undervalues aces and 10's. Points matter, but having the "right collection of points" to secure tricks matters even more, as well as having decent suit controls and favorable distribution.

The Quick Trick method addresses suit controls. However, it undervalues queens and jacks and overvalues aces (hmm...which is the opposite of the Milton System). But when you use both Milton's system and the Quick Trick evaluation method, they serve as a sound basis for opening a bid because the over/under valuation of honors in BOTH systems cancel each other out.

So 13 honor card points (from Milton) AND 2 minimum quick tricks (from Quick Trick method) should be the starting point for determining whether or not you want to "strike first" in the auction. If you want the partnership to successfully take 7 tricks by opening a 1 level contract, a requirement that you possess at LEAST TWO tricks QUICKLY on your own is a fair obligation--especially when you have no idea about the distribution of the remaining 39 cards.

Your opening bid is a PROMISE to the partnership about the trick taking capabilities and strength of your hand. It is a representation to your partner that you believe you hold a better-than-average 10 HCP hand. You should be able to deliver on that promise with the available information from your hand.

Let's look at Hand A:

S-QJx H-QJx D-KJx C-QJxx

This hand has 13 points RAW, but its Milton Points are only PART of the whole picture.

Here are the deductions from the 13 points:

• The hand is ace-less which means that it lacks POWER. There are 39 cards remaining in the deck and the opponents have 26 cards and your partner has 13. The opponents are twice as likely to get the remaining 4 POWER aces than your partner. This does NOT bode well for the partnership should you actually win the auction. You technically should deduct one HCP for ace-less hands as they are weaker from a suit control standpoint.
  • The hand clearly is not even close to the minimum of 2.0 quick tricks. It has 0.5 quick tricks so no primary strength for offensive or defensive purposes. Aces and Kings must clear the board in three (3) suits before the Queens and Jacks can go to work for the partnership!
  • The hand has horrible 4-3-3-3 distribution. Why is 4-3-3-3 horrible, you ask? With 4-3-3-3 shape, this hand is "flat" and has no chance for a reasonable ruff in a suit contract; for a NT contract, there is no suit long enough or strong enough to establish skaters or additional tricks to help you to successfully fulfill the contract.
  • From a Losing Trick Count perspective, this hand has 7.5 losers which is more than the average opening hand which has 7.0 losers.
  • The hand is lop-sided unfavorably in its honor strength. It has SEVEN (7) queens and jacks which are overvalued in the Milton Point system, so you must deduct TWO points from the total HCP count to offset this.

So: Take the 13 points raw MINUS 1 point for the 4-3-3-3 distribution MINUS 2 points for the super-excessive amount of queens and jacks MINUS 1 point for no ace in the hand = 13-1-2-1 = 9 HCP. This is an ALL-IN evaluation of just hand 1 and reconciles with K&R statistics of 8.95 HCP. B-)

(A) is your average hand of 9-10 points and is clearly not an opener
. Did you recognize this or were you wooed by the "red dress" (13 HCP) the hand was wearing? If you value your partner, the partnership, and successful outcomes, you do NOT open (A). You PASS & await further developments.

As bridge players, we are charged with the responsibility of doing a full hand evaluation and not becoming slaves to mindless point counts.

If you open the bidding solely on point count without LOOKING at suit controls (quick tricks) and your hand flaws, you are inadvertently setting the partnership up to fail.

Factors such as quick tricks, shape, paucity of aces, losing trick counts, dubious honors trapped in doubletons or singletons, excessive lower order honors (queens and jacks) all can adversely impact your partnership's ability to successfully fulfill your contract OR defeat the opposition's.

You have to account for these factors in your hand evaluation process. Also, partners make decisions on whether to double the opposition's contract or overcall based, in part, on their partner's opening bids, so it will behoove you to make sound opening bids and avoid opening garbage hands unless you have a death wish.

Modern bridge developments do not require us to forgo sound opening bid requirements to compete more effectively in auctions; there are other tools for that. Be sensible and realistic about what you are promising your partner in your opening bids and embrace the PASS button when you have nothing noteworthy to report. Remember, the pass button can create an opportunity for the opposition to overbid, so it too, has POWER. :)

#32 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-25, 10:09

#33 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-25, 10:12

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-March-23, 19:56, said:

Apparently the Kaplan-Rubens hand evaluator is obsolete.

I saw mention that these aren't even minimum. Does that mean that both of these would be opened as well? (Assume a strong notrump.)

(D) QJx QJx QJx QJxx
(E) QJx QJxx QJxx QJ

(At the time of this post, there were 12 votes to open them all and nothing for anything else.)

The person I was discussing this heard Phil's post (not even minimums) and interpreted it to mean "These hands aren't even minimum opening hands!" Judging from the votes, I am inferring that Phil meant "I would open with less."

ANSWERS:

(D) QJx QJx QJx QJxx-- DO NOT Open and PASS and await further developments. This hand:

• is ace-less and lacks proper suit control which is a one HCP deduction;
  • lacks 2.0 quick tricks (it has ZERO (0) quick tricks);
  • has only 12 HCP which is less than the standard requirement of 13;
  • has 8.0 losers from a Losing Trick Perspective and is thus worse than the average opening hand which has 7.0;
  • has ugly 4-3-3-3 distribution which is a one HCP deduction; and
  • contains 8 overvalued queens and jacks which require a 2 HCP deduction.

This hand all in is : 12 - 1- 1- 2 = 8.0 HCP = WORSE THAN YOUR AVERAGE HAND OF 10.0 HCP

(E) QJx QJxx QJxx QJ -- Do NOT Open and PASS and await further developments. This hand:

• is aceless and lacks proper suit control which is a one HCP deduction;
  • lacks 2.0 quick tricks (it has ZERO (0) quick tricks);
  • has better shape-4-4-3-2;
  • has 8.0 losers from a Losing Trick Perspective and is thus worse than the average opening hand which has 7.0;
  • is lopsided unfavorably in its honor strength. It has 8 overvalued queens and jacks which requires a 2 HCP deduction;
  • contains dubious honors trapped in a doubleton with the QJ suit. We should deduct one HCP as QJ doubleton is defective and has less trick taking potential than KX or QJX or QXX.

This hand should be valued as a: 12 - 1 - 2 - 1 = 8.0 HCP hand. All things considered, this hand, once again, has less strength and trick tacking potential THAN YOUR AVERAGE 10 HCP HAND.

#34 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-March-25, 11:18

View PostVJ, on 2017-March-25, 07:23, said:

If this means that the team which played Precision system and won for three consecutive years coming out of retirement after using the Blue Team Club system was a very low level team,,I strongly disagree with the statement.Perhaps ,Culbertson alone might have agreed with the statement.Those OLD days are gone and better be forgotten.But oh yes,these hands are totally unfit for opening if one plays a Forcing Pass system!!!

#35 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-March-25, 11:28

If you read the forums and (fortunately not everyone does) one of the leaps I had in results a few years ago was a commitment to open nearly all 11 point hands, especially NV.

In Denver a few years ago I played Korbel and Huub in a KO and Dan said he passed one 11 count the ENTIRE tournament and this was on the last Saturday.

When I started designing my system with Gumperz a year ago he asked what I wanted to play. I didn't particularly care as long as we opened in this style.

You HAVE to adjust your responding style, but it's easier than you might think.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#36 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-25, 12:01

If you don't open these hands, you need to think about how you handle them if you pass and partner opens or competes. Once you do that, you should conclude that opening is the least worst option.

#37 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-25, 14:28

View PostPhil, on 2017-March-25, 11:28, said:

If you read the forums and (fortunately not everyone does) one of the leaps I had in results a few years ago was a commitment to open nearly all 11 point hands, especially NV.

In Denver a few years ago I played Korbel and Huub in a KO and Dan said he passed one 11 count the ENTIRE tournament and this was on the last Saturday.

When I started designing my system with Gumperz a year ago he asked what I wanted to play. I didn't particularly care as long as we opened in this style.

You HAVE to adjust your responding style, but it's easier than you might think.

After doing pretty much as you say for quite a while, we have adjusted it slightly (due to results). Major suit openings on trash 11's work fine, but we lost overall opening 1 of a minor on balanced 11's and (3-1) 4-5 11's. I think I met a 12 I wouldn't open once upon a time, but quickly forgot what it looked like.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#38 User is offline   Alroy 

• Pip

Posted 2017-March-25, 16:40

Open them all. Only wimps and people over 70 would pass any or all of these hands!! I doubt very much mechwell or welland/auken would pass any of these hands.

#39 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-25, 19:42

View Postxbrit66, on 2017-March-24, 16:11, said:

Maybe re-word the question? I vote none in 1st or 2nd seat but all in 3rd seat and probably 4th seat.

I agree-I would pass 1st or 2nd seat, but likely would open any of them in 3rd seat. 4th seat-pass it out.

#40 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2017-March-25, 20:54

There is no 13 hcp hand that I would fail to open.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users